Cancelling dilemma

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Hey y'all,

I am posting this on behalf of my SO who is applying to law school and anxious about posting on TLS while she's mid-cycle.

My SO took the LSAT twice two years ago and got 162 and 169. She took the test again in June and got a 172. Because she was doing better on her practices and she's interested in HYS, she decided to take the December LSAT. She didn't finish a section on Saturday and had to guess on 4-5 questions, but she thinks the other sections went well. She was PTing in the high 170s.

She's thinking of canceling. She's worried she could've done worse in December and wanted to know what impact canceling might have on her applications vs. having a lower retake score on her record. She doesn't know whether the risk of having to explain a lower score to schools is worth the potential reward of getting a higher score in December.

FWIW, I have no idea what to tell her, so we'd both appreciate any advice.

User avatar
goldenboy514
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby goldenboy514 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:06 pm

amc987 wrote:Hey y'all,

I am posting this on behalf of my SO who is applying to law school and anxious about posting on TLS while she's mid-cycle.

My SO took the LSAT twice two years ago and got 162 and 169. She took the test again in June and got a 172. Because she was doing better on her practices and she's interested in HYS, she decided to take the December LSAT. She didn't finish a section on Saturday and had to guess on 4-5 questions, but she thinks the other sections went well. She was PTing in the high 170s.

She's thinking of canceling. She's worried she could've done worse in December and wanted to know what impact canceling might have on her applications vs. having a lower retake score on her record. She doesn't know whether the risk of having to explain a lower score to schools is worth the potential reward of getting a higher score in December.

FWIW, I have no idea what to tell her, so we'd both appreciate any advice.


I think usually people will say keep score and see what happens. But with a 172 on file already, it seems she is shooting for HYS id assume. And guessing on 4-5 questions assumes (percentages) that she will get 4 wrong. So starting with a 4 handicap, leaves only room for getting say 4-5 wrong on the rest of the test (depending on curve obvs) to even match a 172.
Id prolly cancel in my opinion

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 am

goldenboy514 wrote:I think usually people will say keep score and see what happens. But with a 172 on file already, it seems she is shooting for HYS id assume. And guessing on 4-5 questions assumes (percentages) that she will get 4 wrong. So starting with a 4 handicap, leaves only room for getting say 4-5 wrong on the rest of the test (depending on curve obvs) to even match a 172.
Id prolly cancel in my opinion


Thanks for this! It's hard because we have no idea what the curve will be. My SO thinks 13 or 14, so in your scenario, 8 wrong could still be a good score (and above her current 172). Plus, it was games she messed up, but that was never her strongest section, so it's conceivable that she might've gotten 4 or less wrong elsewhere.

Any other thoughts on the pros and cons of canceling? Does anyone know how schools view a score in the 170s and then a cancellation? Is it just a neutral factor (because there's no score to see) or do schools assume the worst?

halee1224
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:13 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby halee1224 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:14 am

.
Last edited by halee1224 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BPlaura
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby BPlaura » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 pm

How was she able to take the test so many times? You're generally only allowed to take it three times within two years, and from what you've said it sounds like she has taken it four times already and is thinking about a fifth. Did she get an exception or were her previous tests just a little over two years ago?

Regardless, that's something to take into account - generally it's hard to get exceptions, and the "three times in two years" things applies even if you cancel your score, so February may be out of the question for her. Either way, I'd second those who suggested that she wait and see what happens. A curve of -13 to -14 would be a little bigger than usual so I wouldn't plan on that, but it sounds conceivable that she did well enough on the other sections to make up for the bad LG section.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 pm

halee1224 wrote:If LG is your SO's weakest area, then I think it might worth it for her to just wait and see since she could've totally nailed the three other sections (especially if she has been contantly scoring in high 170s on prep tests). If LG was her forte, it might be better to cancel the score (because one usually has to ace section(s) that one feels most confident about to make up for any points one missed on the other sections). Since that doesn't seem to be the case here, it might not be a bad idea to just wait and see how she did.


Thanks for this! LG is her weakest area of the 3 sections and that's what she had trouble with on Saturday. She's thinks she did well on RC and one of the LR sections and is less sure of the other LR (although she finished that section and didn't have to guess like she did on LG). I guess it depends on the curve, how many she actually got wrong on games, and whether she was close to pristine clean on the other sections. I think she's leaning towards keeping the score now, but who knows.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 pm

BPlaura wrote:How was she able to take the test so many times? You're generally only allowed to take it three times within two years, and from what you've said it sounds like she has taken it four times already and is thinking about a fifth. Did she get an exception or were her previous tests just a little over two years ago?

Regardless, that's something to take into account - generally it's hard to get exceptions, and the "three times in two years" things applies even if you cancel your score, so February may be out of the question for her. Either way, I'd second those who suggested that she wait and see what happens. A curve of -13 to -14 would be a little bigger than usual so I wouldn't plan on that, but it sounds conceivable that she did well enough on the other sections to make up for the bad LG section.


Thanks for your advice! The previous tests were more than 2 years ago. I believe her first take was in 2010 and her second take was in June 2011. Then she decided to wait on applying to law school (because of a job opportunity and non-LSAT factors), and chose to retake this past June and in December. So this is her 4th take. She maintains that she's definitely NOT ever taking the test again. It's really a matter of cancelling and keeping the 172 she has for admissions purposes or rolling the dice to see if she did better in December. In either case, I think her LSAT days are over.

As far as the curve goes, you make a good point that -13/-14 would be bigger than usual. She thinks that the curve will be on the generous side, but who really knows? It does matter though because, assuming she had 4~ mistakes on LG (I'm operating under the logic that she probably didn't get a high number of her guesses right), those mistakes are a lot more costly on a -11 curve than on a -14. I think that's especially true when you're trying to beat a 172.

I'm guessing you'd keep the score and hope for the best?

BPlaura
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby BPlaura » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Oh sure, the curve definitely matters a lot, especially in that range. I'm just saying that if she's trying to calculate what her score may have been, I'd be a bit more conservative and assume that the curve is more like -12.

amc987 wrote:I'm guessing you'd keep the score and hope for the best?


Yup! To me it sounds like she felt pretty good about the other sections, so I'd say it's worth keeping the score and seeing what happens.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Does anyone else have thoughts/ an opinion to share? Anything constructive would be appreciated.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:57 am

Bump.

Cancellation deadline is tomorrow. Any last-minute advice?

logicfreak
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby logicfreak » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:09 am

amc987 wrote:Bump.

Cancellation deadline is tomorrow. Any last-minute advice?



are you sure that the deadline wasnt at midnight

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 am

logicfreak wrote:
amc987 wrote:Bump.

Cancellation deadline is tomorrow. Any last-minute advice?



are you sure that the deadline wasnt at midnight


The 6th calendar day from the test is tomorrow, the 13th.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Post removed...

Postby appind » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by appind on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
amc987
Posts: 568
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Cancelling dilemma

Postby amc987 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:56 am

My SO decided not to cancel. Thanks to everyone for their advice/ insights!

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who is waiting!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Instrumental, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., tuesdayninja and 3 guests