LSAC Error on Test--- What to do?!?!

Has something like this ever happened to you?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 16

t0va89

LSAC Error on Test--- What to do?!?!

Postby t0va89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Hey everyone,

I just took the LSAT (exempt from Saturday tests due to religious observance) and found that there was a misprint in my test packet! I informed the proctors who both verified that my book displayed an error on LSAC's end. Essentially, the first passage of the reading comprehension section (#2) was totally incomprehensible/illegible which prevented me from answering ~8 questions. There was another reading comprehension section later (#5) so I'm praying that the typo occurred in the experimental section. I was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else or if anyone has any recommendations regarding how I should proceed. I'm so upset because, naturally, I spent ages studying for this exam and cancelled my October exam due to extenuating circumstances. Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated!

neprep

Re: LSAC Error on Test--- What to do?!?!

Postby neprep » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Looks like an egregious printing error. The proctors must have filed an irregularity report. In addition to that, I think it's best that you call LSAC.

If those passages are actually illegible, I'm sure LSAC will take action. You've noted the test book serial number on your Scantron, and you've probably also signed your name across the front page of the test booklet, so they'll be able to match it to you.

pahuber2

Postby pahuber2 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:56 pm

This is tragic, sorry this happened to you. I have never heard of such a thing in the past.

t0va89

Postby t0va89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank you so much for your response!

Do you think it's safe to assume that this error most likely occurred in the experimental section? I would assume they'd scrutinize the 4 sections that count more closely and I did have another RC section for #5...

Allegra

Postby Allegra » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm

When you say "typo," I assume, like the previous poster, that you mean some sort of printing error?

Please let us know what LSAC says - I agree that this is horrible, and I am sorry it happened to you.

t0va89

Postby t0va89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:02 pm

pahuber2 wrote:This is tragic, sorry this happened to you. I have never heard of such a thing in the past.

Thank you :( . Unfortunately, I feel like I'm getting every sign I possibly can to not go to law school-- I had to cancel my October test (broke my foot jogging the night before and attempted, unsuccessfully, to master the test the following day) and had a glaring typo in my packet. This type of thing seems to be uncommon because I can't even find a thread on this although you'd think that someone else had to have this mistake, too…no?

neprep

Postby neprep » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:03 pm

t0va89 wrote:Thank you so much for your response!

Do you think it's safe to assume that this error most likely occurred in the experimental section? I would assume they'd scrutinize the 4 sections that count more closely and I did have another RC section for #5...

If you had two RCs then the chances of the messed up section's being the experimental are high.

But I don't think that any less scrutiny is paid to the experimental section. It's most likely just an error with the printing. If the text was all jumbled up, it could just be a tech glitch.

t0va89

Postby t0va89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Allegra wrote:When you say "typo," I assume, like the previous poster, that you mean some sort of printing error?

Please let us know what LSAC says - I agree that this is horrible, and I am sorry it happened to you.

LG-RC-LR-LR-RC

Yes, it's hard to explain but i'll try my best.

For passage 1 of my 2nd section, I began reading the content and noticed it cut off mid-sentence. In an attempt to avoid losing more time of this glaring typo, I continued reading but found that the subject matter had completely changed. Essentially, it was as though two completely separate passages were fused together. I read the material a handful of times (hence losing valuable time in the process) and could NOT make sense of it. I attempted to finish what I could from the rest of the section and waited until our 15 minute break was announced (to avoid distracting other test takers) to call over the proctor. The proctor initially dismissed my concern insisting she had worked there for 25 years and never seen a mistake, however, I implored she at least look. She took my test over to her desk where the other proctor accompanied her and, within seconds, they both expressed absolute shock over the apparent misprint in the book. They insisted that this was an error on LSAC's end and they'd file a report after our test.

I'm only worried because I have 1) a cancelled score from Oct. 2) No way of knowing if this section was experimental or not 3) I'm already applying later in the game and will now be unable to apply for enrollment next year if this score is cancelled.

t0va89

Postby t0va89 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:20 pm

neprep wrote:Looks like an egregious printing error. The proctors must have filed an irregularity report. In addition to that, I think it's best that you call LSAC.

If those passages are actually illegible, I'm sure LSAC will take action. You've noted the test book serial number on your Scantron, and you've probably also signed your name across the front page of the test booklet, so they'll be able to match it to you.

UPDATE - I called LSAC and the woman merely provided me with two email addresses and instructions to title my email "Damaged Test Book". When I inquired as to what the process was re errors on their end, I was told that I need to grant LSAC 2-3 weeks to look into my issue, be aware that there would be a delay in my score, and most likely, I'd be provided with an option to cancel my score (hence waiving the whole "you have 7 days to decide if you want to cancel your score" rule). I asked if they'd disclose whether or not the error occurred in the experimental section and she said absolutely not. :roll: Is this really fair? I have everything else ready to go (recs, transcript, personal statement) and I'm merely waiting on my scores. She told me to send out my apps anyway, but what's the point if I'm going to (potentially) cancel my test score? I hope they hide this cancellation from law schools since I technically didn't do anything wrong. Also, why can't they disclose whether or not this was in the experimental section since this would determine whether or not I cancel my score? I guess now I just wait.

BTW thanks for the support-- I just joined this site and you guys are amazing. :D

Allegra

Postby Allegra » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:47 pm

When I inquired as to what the process was re errors on their end, I was told that I need to grant LSAC 2-3 weeks to look into my issue, be aware that there would be a delay in my score, and most likely, I'd be provided with an option to cancel my score (hence waiving the whole "you have 7 days to decide if you want to cancel your score" rule).

I wonder if this means there's any way you could find out your score before deciding whether to cancel . . . That really only seems fair.

bhs12

Postby bhs12 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Was this misprint really obvious? I didn't notice anything too glaring in my second section (pm more info)?

That said I'm not too worried because as I mentioned elsewhere, I think it's unlikely for reasons of validitity that they'd put the experimental fifth. More importantly, based on your other post, it sounds like we had the same passages in five (again feel free to pm me :). It seems likely that we'd have different experimental sections, but unlikely that we had distinct scored tests given the other similarities discussed. Presumably they want to test as many potential passages as they can, but create as few curves as is feasible; but if we had different scored reading sections, they obviously couldn't score all the Sabbath tests against one another.

Allegra

Postby Allegra » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Just as an FYI, I am pretty certain that you are not being scored against people who take the test the same day as you, but against people who took the same test in the past (maybe with minor tweaking).

Philafaler

Postby Philafaler » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Maybe you can ask around to find out what the experimental section was before you cancel?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm

I have actually heard of something somewhat similar to this happen before, and have experience working with LSAC on things like this (used to work for prep company). So, good news and bad news:

You will probably be given a chance to cancel and retake for "free" (that is, they won't charge you, but the chance to spend another huge chunk of your life prepping doesn't sound free to me). You will definitely not be given the chance to learn what section was experimental or what your score would have been or anything like that before you cancel.

You aren't going to be given a chance to have this cleared from your record, it's going to go down as a candidate cancel on your score report. This sucks and is unfair to you. When I talked to LSAC about a similar situation (LSAC screw up at the testing center took away significant time from test taker), they were quite polite and even a bit apologetic, but inflexible on this matter. If you took the test, you either get a score or a cancel. I wouldn't hold out hope that your situation will end up differently.

Sorry about your situation, I'm sure it's frustrating as hell.

t0va89

Postby t0va89 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 pm

anon sequitur wrote:I have actually heard of something somewhat similar to this happen before, and have experience working with LSAC on things like this (used to work for prep company). So, good news and bad news:

You will probably be given a chance to cancel and retake for "free" (that is, they won't charge you, but the chance to spend another huge chunk of your life prepping doesn't sound free to me). You will definitely not be given the chance to learn what section was experimental or what your score would have been or anything like that before you cancel.

You aren't going to be given a chance to have this cleared from your record, it's going to go down as a candidate cancel on your score report. This sucks and is unfair to you. When I talked to LSAC about a similar situation (LSAC screw up at the testing center took away significant time from test taker), they were quite polite and even a bit apologetic, but inflexible on this matter. If you took the test, you either get a score or a cancel. I wouldn't hold out hope that your situation will end up differently.

Thank you SO much for your response. Unfortunately, I figured that my attempt at attaining an official letter from them verifying that they did, in fact, misprint my test (which I would pass long to potential law schools) or providing me with my score beforehand, would not go over well. I guess now it comes down to an issue of whether it's better to see two cancelled scores and then a third attempt, or a cancellation, a poor reflection of what I'm capable of, and then potentially a third test? Regardless, I'll undoubtedly have a killer addendum. Ugh. It's really unfair how they can continuously screw me over.

I think it's better to ride this one out and see just how terrible the score is...right?

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:49 pm

This is awful. I'm sorry, OP.

Did you guess on the 8 or so questions? And do you feel you did well on the rest of the test? If yes to both, I'd be inclined to see what you get..? After all, if you luck out, and it was the experimental...on the other hand... NVM, reread your first post, it sounds like you didn't finish all of the section? How many did you NOT finish? Did you guess on any?

Also, will they let you retake for free only if you cancel?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Sorry to hear that OP. That's real unfortunate. It's disappointing they didn't catch this error upfront, given how important the test is to everyone. I'm wishing you the best and hope everything works out.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 am

t0va89 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:I have actually heard of something somewhat similar to this happen before, and have experience working with LSAC on things like this (used to work for prep company). So, good news and bad news:

Thank you SO much for your response. Unfortunately, I figured that my attempt at attaining an official letter from them verifying that they did, in fact, misprint my test (which I would pass long to potential law schools) or providing me with my score beforehand, would not go over well. I guess now it comes down to an issue of whether it's better to see two cancelled scores and then a third attempt, or a cancellation, a poor reflection of what I'm capable of, and then potentially a third test? Regardless, I'll undoubtedly have a killer addendum. Ugh. It's really unfair how they can continuously screw me over.

I think it's better to ride this one out and see just how terrible the score is...right?

That's what I would do. Where were you PT'ing? If you expected to get a certain score and this LSAT score is drastically lower than where you were PT'ing I would write a scathing addendum about it attached to my new score. This is a nightmare, OP. So sorry this happened.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Travis12 wrote:If you expected to get a certain score and this LSAT score is drastically lower than where you were PT'ing I would write a scathing addendum about it attached to my new score.

That would be a bad idea. The scathing part, not the addendum.

To OP - no one officially learns which section is the experimental until they receive their score report. There's no reason to think that LSAC would make an exception for you.

My guess is that it was the experimental, since this is a weird thing to happen for the scored section and it was the RC section in sections 1-3, which almost always means it's experimental. Of course, it's also a weird thing to happen in the experimental section, so...

They'll probably verify the problem, and either cancel your score or give you the option to cancel or not. Since they aren't revealing which section was experimental, and telling you that you can keep your score if you want would essentially be admitting it was the experimental section, I would say there's a non-0% chance they'll cancel your score outright. That would suck, but it's an outcome I'd prep myself for.

If that happens, or you decide to cancel, you can write an addendum for it. Don't blame anyone, or throw vitriol about. Be factual. Don't worry about including a letter - if the schools want to verify it (which they probably won't), they'll get in touch with LSAC themselves.

t0va89

Postby t0va89 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:21 am

I truly cannot thank you all enough for the support-- it means so much to me!

Fortunately, LSAC responded to me and [surprisingly] let me know that the error occurred in the experimental section! While I'm undoubtedly relieved, I cannot help but shake the feeling that this error still impacted my score in a negative way. :roll:

Nevertheless, I decided it's best to refrain from canceling, write a killer addendum, and PRAY that law schools actually take the time to read these things. If anyone has any experience writing an addendum or information regarding whether or not law schools pay them any attention, I'd love to hear your input on the matter!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:32 am

t0va89 wrote:I truly cannot thank you all enough for the support-- it means so much to me!

Fortunately, LSAC responded to me and [surprisingly] let me know that the error occurred in the experimental section! While I'm undoubtedly relieved, I cannot help but shake the feeling that this error still impacted my score in a negative way. :roll:

Nevertheless, I decided it's best to refrain from canceling, write a killer addendum, and PRAY that law schools actually take the time to read these things. If anyone has any experience writing an addendum or information regarding whether or not law schools pay them any attention, I'd love to hear your input on the matter!

Glad it worked out and that LSAC was kind enough to tell you it was exp so you can safely decide to keep your score.

If you are talking about writing an addendum about having a defective test booklet, that would be foolish, don't do it.

If you have another reason for an addendum, have to say what it is for people to give opinions about it. Writing an addendum to make excuses for a lackluster LSAT score is generally a very bad idea. You can just re-take and they'd expect you to do that if the printing error really threw you off for the whole test instead of you just trying to use it as an excuse for wanting favorable treatment beyond what your score justifies. In fact, telling them the printing mistake threw you off the whole test would be a bad idea because you would be highlighting a big failing on your part under pressure letting your entire performance get thrown off due to something very isolated that you didn't just move on and recover from. You don't want to be telling LSs that you easily crack under pressure and lose your composure due to small things like a single printing error on one page.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 pm

t0va89 wrote:Nevertheless, I decided it's best to refrain from canceling, write a killer addendum, and PRAY that law schools actually take the time to read these things.

As Jeffort said, if you didn't cancel, you shouldn't write the addendum. Unless it kills your score, you retake, and the school asks why you had a lower first LSAT.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Glad it worked out for you! I was going to suggest you sue LSAC. :twisted:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”