Should I cancel? :(

halee1224

Should I cancel? :(

Postby halee1224 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:45 am

Last edited by halee1224 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkeye10

Re: Should I cancel? :(

Postby hawkeye10 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:00 am

halee1224 wrote:I just took my 3rd retake yesterday and am seriously contemplating whether it will be better for me to cancel the Dec score or not :-(

My previous scores were 169 and 169 (both scores are from 2 years ago), so I was trying to get 173+ (GPA:3.9) this time since I am aiming for NYU+...

I think I aced all the LRs and RCs (I had RC for experiemental), but I bombed the last game of LG..

This has never happened to me before, because I usually miss only 0-1 on LG since it's my forte.

I think I misread the rules of the last game. I thought there were 'entrances' (won't say how many to avoid getting into specifics), but based on what I've read so far, it seems like some other test takers understood it as 'an entrance and an exit' and that'd completely change the way to approach that game (plz let me know if I am being too specific here and have to edit the post... I don't want to violate any rule! :D )

If that is the case, then there's no doubt I bombed LG...
If I retake it in Feb or June (which will be my 4th retake), I will probably have a disadvantage for taking LSAT multiple times no matter whether I cancel the score or not. Still, I'd really like to know what would be the best thing for me to do at this point since I am aiming for HYSCCN... Ugh, this whole post-test anxiety thing is killing me!!! :(

I'd highly appreciate any advices & suggestions! Thanks! :D

You might as well not cancel - what if you managed to get 173 or close to it? You have a great GPA, one that's at least at above the 75% at NYU, and is at or above median at the top 6. If you didn't do as well as you thought you would, you can see where you messed up on the test and change study habits accordingly.

Plus, these days admissions doesn't seem to care if you've taken the LSAT multiple times (as long as it isn't something really ridiculous).

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:09 am

hawkeye10 wrote:Plus, these days admissions doesn't seem to care if you've taken the LSAT multiple times (as long as it isn't something really ridiculous).

Is this actually true if you score lower on a retake? Not to hijack the thread but I'm debating canceling too and I've seen people refer to adcomms not caring about much except your highest score. It seems like it can't possibly send the best message.

Also, what counts as ridiculous? 4 times? 5 times? 20 times?

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 am

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 am

I wouldn't cancel. You're already likely eligible to take Feb with or without a cancel, and your previous scores don't guarantee you won't get NYU, you might have done well, and even if you didn't it wouldn't hurt unless you choked SO hard that your score was abysmal.

halee1224

Postby halee1224 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:34 am

Last edited by halee1224 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

teampeeta

Postby teampeeta » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 am

Clearly wrote:I wouldn't cancel. You're already likely eligible to take Feb with or without a cancel, and your previous scores don't guarantee you won't get NYU, you might have done well, and even if you didn't it wouldn't hurt unless you choked SO hard that your score was abysmal.

How much lower would you say one has to score in order for it to be abysmal? 5 points lower? And what if you have multiple retakes with different scores?

i think in OP's case, I also wouldn't cancel unless I was sure that I didn't make the points to get 169 or above. You'll at least get credit for the 169- if you score lower they'll probably think the lower score is the fluke because you've proven you can get 169 multiple times. With your high GPA and your current score you're already competitive at NYU and Chicago, and you may be able to get SLS if your softs and recs are excellent.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”