Tutoring for the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BlameCanada

New

Tutoring for the LSAT

Post by BlameCanada » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:48 am

Out of curiosity, what score do you need on the test in order to be able to get clients as an independent tutor. My guess is somewhere in the 173-175 range minimum? This next question is for independent tutors. If your score was in the range or higher how did you find clients and how much is a fair price to charge?

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Tutoring for the LSAT

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:10 am

Depends on your area. If you're in a saturated market then you're probably not going to have much luck unless you undercut market price by quite a bit. If you live in a big city or a city with a T30 law school then consider it a saturated market. More than a few 2/3L's give LSAT tutoring a shot, and there are also plenty of professionals doing the same thing. Maybe you'll get lucky, but private tutoring isn't the easiest thing to get into, at least not in my experience.

Price will also depend on where you live. I live in a big city that has a top 20 law school and people here charge between $50 and $100 and hour, skewed towards the high end. Those people are mostly 175+ though, and have several years of experience. I have seen a few adds for people at $30 - $50 an hour though; those people are usually lacking one of the above to characteristics: either they are sub 175 with lots of teaching experience, or 175+ with minimum teaching experience.

If you're a good teacher and looking to make some money, then prep companies can be also be a really good route.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”