Post removed.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Bajam wrote:My trash bag weighed like 50 lbs+ from stacks of exams from 1-70 and all the other prep materials. It was so cathartic in throwing it all away.


Trash or recycle? :P

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby wealtheow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Bajam wrote:
wealtheow wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
wealtheow wrote:finally POWERSCORE ET AL will not monopolize the bottom shelf of my bookcase


Man oh man, so very much this.


seriously, i have felt so slovenly this past month. my prep materials are still strewn about all over the place and i have wanted to clear them out so badly and finally clean up! i have never been so excited to clean in my life.


My trash bag weighed like 50 lbs+ from stacks of exams from 1-70 and all the other prep materials. It was so cathartic in throwing it all away.


omg you already did it? very impressive. im dragging most of it to work with me tomorrow, we have one of the industrial shredders.

Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 pm

zhenders wrote:
Hoping4Happiness wrote:congrats to everyone who did so well..

I retook a 163 and got a 158. I really wish I would have cancelled... I still haven't submitted my applications.. but my whole goal going into this was going to a 40-50 ranked school with SOME scholarship money or a T2 with an 80% scholarship... btw my gpa is a 3.76

Did l just ruin my chances? I can't even function right now... I'm so regretful...



Is a retake out of the question for you? Your GPA is strong even for much of the T14. If you can stomach the idea of another retake, what prep materials have you used up until this point?

Don't lose hope -- but don't screw yourself for 3 years + 20 years of unrepayable debt if you have the chance to put LS off for 1 more year, re-study, and get into a school that pays (either in scholly money or credentials quality).


Thank you for your response. I know you're right about not screwing yourself, that was why I tried to take the LSAT again... I genuinely didn't think I would score lower (sigh). Unfortunately I can't wait another cycle.. well, maybe if my only other choice was a T2 with less than 50% scholarship I would because that's just not an option..

Could you tell me your honest opinion of how getting a 158 the second time will affect my chances at a 80% scholarship to a T2?


"Nope, they are still going to take the 163, that being said a 3.76 deserves a lot of LSAT respect, do you think you could improve beyond the 163?"

THANK YOU. That's nice of you, I'm balling crying right now but that made me feel a bit better. I thought I could improve beyond a 163 that was why I took it again but apparently l was gravely mistaken! I'm very much shock..


also to "Walket",
"You didn't ruin anything. You still have one more retake, a great gpa, and plenty of time. I don't know what your other factors are, but assuming you are a undergraduate, I'd spend a year working and retake in June or October. You improved by 5 points. If you do that again, you have a 168 and pretty good shot at meeting your goal.

Have you read the LSAT Trainer? I didn't really get the LSAT until I read it. Improved my LR and RC scores a ton.

There's a lot of good advice here from people who have gone through the same things as you. It really helped me, and I'm sure it can help you too."

Thank you so much, maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been in my post. I got a 163 the FIRST time I took the LSAT, retook in December and got a 158.. lol. What kills me is that I could have applied with a 163 in November and been sitting pretty for a good chance at a hefty scholarship for a T2... but here I am crying my eyes out in January not even close to being ready to submit all my apps with a score lower than any of my PTs...

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby unodostres » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Was the scholarship at the T2 in the place you want to practice?

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Bajam wrote:My trash bag weighed like 50 lbs+ from stacks of exams from 1-70 and all the other prep materials. It was so cathartic in throwing it all away.


Trash or recycle? :P


Uh oh, I bet I will get yelled at cause I was like IM TAKING THIS STRAIGHT TO THE DUMPSTER, but then my dad was like oh let me just use it at work as scrap paper so I mean I kinda let it get recycled...lol

User avatar
I<3soulcrushingdebt
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby I<3soulcrushingdebt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Need some advice. first time poster, but have been lurking on these boards since May. I have had some extremely unfortunate luck these past two LSATs, as both of my grandmothers each passed away the week of both exams. The first time, in October, one of my grandmothers passed away two days before the exam. When I took the exam, I realized I was in an extreme funk and could not at all concentrate. I recognized this and immediately cancelled. The December exam, the exact same thing happened, only this time with the grandmother on my father's side. Today I received my score back and scored a 159. This is extremely demoralizing because I had been consistently PTing in the 169-172 range. The question I have is am I pretty much SOL even if I were to retake in say June and score in my PT range? I mean will the law school admissions simply look at my cancel, 159, and wonder what the hell happened?
It's so aggravating because I know that I am capable of at least a 165, but I am so demoralized right now that I don't even know if it's worth the hours of studying anymore. My GPA was a 3.86, which I am perfectly aware does not amount to jack squat if I keep bombing this thing.

User avatar
WaltGrace83
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby WaltGrace83 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Congrats on your scores guys!


However, instead of everyone throwing away their (gently used) material, why don't you guys give them away to future TLS'ers? A lot of people on here cannot buy books upon books due to financial reasons. Just a thought :)

Although even after a few weeks of hardcore LSAT studying I can understand the immense pleasure it would be trashing it all

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby wealtheow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm

hoping, just allow yourself a bit to cry it out. the 158 doesn't negate the 163 by any means... and there is always another shot. but no matter how we reassure you, you probably need some time to process and regroup. im sorry you are disappointed.

Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 pm

unodostres wrote:Was the scholarship at the T2 in the place you want to practice?


Good point... I was thinking American in DC, Northeastern in Boston, or LMU/Pepperdine in LA would be good options.. not sure I just screwed that with my 5 point drop...

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby bombaysippin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:Congrats on your scores guys!


However, instead of everyone throwing away their (gently used) material, why don't you guys give them away to future TLS'ers? A lot of people on here cannot buy books upon books due to financial reasons. Just a thought :)

Although even after a few weeks of hardcore LSAT studying I can understand the immense pleasure it would be trashing it all


The stuff I got rid of was all PTs and drills that I wrote all over so I don't think that would've been of much use lol

ETA: Didn't throw away books

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby wealtheow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:Congrats on your scores guys!

However, instead of everyone throwing away their (gently used) material, why don't you guys give them away to future TLS'ers? A lot of people on here cannot buy books upon books due to financial reasons. Just a thought :)

Although even after a few weeks of hardcore LSAT studying I can understand the immense pleasure it would be trashing it all


awesome point. i was actually going to offer up some of my materials. i never took PTs 68 or 67, and I only finished half the Trainer, so I'm not tossing these. i think amazon takes some of this stuff back, but that may be the blue moon talking.
a lot of my other materials would be nearly good as new with some eraser action; i tried to always use pencils.

eta: same as bajam, for now i am actually only tossing all the copies i made for drilling that are covered in scribbles.
Last edited by wealtheow on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 pm

wealtheow wrote:hoping, just allow yourself a bit to cry it out. the 158 doesn't negate the 163 by any means... and there is always another shot. but no matter how we reassure you, you probably need some time to process and regroup. im sorry you are disappointed.


Thank you wealtheow! :cry:

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm

H4H,

Do what you feel is right; ultimately you know you.

I will say this, though: just because this retake didn't work out doesnt mean you are incapable of doing great. The way I see it, if your goals can be fulfilled with the schools you are eligible for, and the debt is manageable, then go for it. It IS hard, though, for me to imagine you not giving it one more shot.

My logic is only that if you are looking at a 50% scholly (or close to it) and are genuinely happy with that school, then as I see it, studying for just one more year (and I can basically promise you with the right study routine you can absolutely best a 163) you could being with a full ride at the same or similar... Which strikes me as a study year that could potentially pay you am add'l $90k+.

I know that it sounds like a nightmarish bad joke thinking about retaking again, after feeling so defeated -- and again, you may be just fine with a 163! -- just please, don't sell yourself short.

P.S. you'd be surprised how few 3.7+ GPAs there are applying to law schools; matching that with a 167+ LSAT at a T50 is full ride potential in many schools.

Regardless, it's all gonna be alright mate :-)

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:35 pm

I<3soulcrushingdebt wrote:The question I have is am I pretty much SOL even if I were to retake in say June and score in my PT range? I mean will the law school admissions simply look at my cancel, 159, and wonder what the hell happened?
It's so aggravating because I know that I am capable of at least a 165, but I am so demoralized right now that I don't even know if it's worth the hours of studying anymore. My GPA was a 3.86, which I am perfectly aware does not amount to jack squat if I keep bombing this thing.


Most schools won't care. You probably looked at this, but in case you didn't there's a really helpful (and encouraging) chart:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Retake it. You are not SOL at all. I think you should retake and June (or whenever you are ready) and get some work experience. Don't waste such a great GPA.

Check out MyLSN. The difference between a 159 and a 165 is HUGE.

hoepner33
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby hoepner33 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Anyone else still waiting? I took the test internationally and they changed my score release date to January 2nd but figured I would have gotten my results by now given that scores started coming out four hours ago....

User avatar
gma221
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby gma221 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Are people still receiving their scores? Am I waiting for an LSAC email tonight in vain? It's 6:30 p.m. on the west coast and still nothing. I was a 12/21 tester, but my LSAC profile lists my "score email date" as today. I'm going in-freaking-sane over here...

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Bajam wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
Bajam wrote:My trash bag weighed like 50 lbs+ from stacks of exams from 1-70 and all the other prep materials. It was so cathartic in throwing it all away.


Trash or recycle? :P


Uh oh, I bet I will get yelled at cause I was like IM TAKING THIS STRAIGHT TO THE DUMPSTER, but then my dad was like oh let me just use it at work as scrap paper so I mean I kinda let it get recycled...lol


Haha, nah I was just curious, regardless its a great feeling to get rid of that stuff! :mrgreen:

Mine is going to be a combination of recycling, burning, selling, and giving away depending on the item.

First burn was preemptively done on new years day.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 pm

walket wrote:
I<3soulcrushingdebt wrote:The question I have is am I pretty much SOL even if I were to retake in say June and score in my PT range? I mean will the law school admissions simply look at my cancel, 159, and wonder what the hell happened?
It's so aggravating because I know that I am capable of at least a 165, but I am so demoralized right now that I don't even know if it's worth the hours of studying anymore. My GPA was a 3.86, which I am perfectly aware does not amount to jack squat if I keep bombing this thing.


Most schools won't care. You probably looked at this, but in case you didn't there's a really helpful (and encouraging) chart:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Retake it. You are not SOL at all. I think you should retake and June (or whenever you are ready) and get some work experience. Don't waste such a great GPA.

Check out MyLSN. The difference between a 159 and a 165 is HUGE.



+1. Don't waste that killer GPA. And -- I've read nothing to indicate that a poor first score or a cancel has a significant negative impact.

Look at it this way: someone who scores a 159, has a cancel, and THEN hits 165+ looks like one hard-studying and dedicated motherfucker, which is something I'd personally like for an admissions council to assume about me.
Last edited by zhenders on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gravitas
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby Gravitas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 pm

gma221 wrote:Are people still receiving their scores? Am I waiting for an LSAC email tonight in vain? It's 6:30 p.m. on the west coast and still nothing. I was a 12/21 tester, but my LSAC profile lists my "score email date" as today. I'm going in-freaking-sane over here...


I would also like to know about this. I'm also a 12/21 tester and my profile lists today as the email date. Has anyone received their scores within, say, the last 45 minutes?

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 pm

You definitely should retake. An LSAT record of cancel, 159, 170 will basically give you the same admissions opportunities as a single 170. Also, look on the bright side: you have no more grandmothers around to die on you the week before the test!


I<3soulcrushingdebt wrote:Need some advice. first time poster, but have been lurking on these boards since May. I have had some extremely unfortunate luck these past two LSATs, as both of my grandmothers each passed away the week of both exams. The first time, in October, one of my grandmothers passed away two days before the exam. When I took the exam, I realized I was in an extreme funk and could not at all concentrate. I recognized this and immediately cancelled. The December exam, the exact same thing happened, only this time with the grandmother on my father's side. Today I received my score back and scored a 159. This is extremely demoralizing because I had been consistently PTing in the 169-172 range. The question I have is am I pretty much SOL even if I were to retake in say June and score in my PT range? I mean will the law school admissions simply look at my cancel, 159, and wonder what the hell happened?
It's so aggravating because I know that I am capable of at least a 165, but I am so demoralized right now that I don't even know if it's worth the hours of studying anymore. My GPA was a 3.86, which I am perfectly aware does not amount to jack squat if I keep bombing this thing.

User avatar
I<3soulcrushingdebt
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby I<3soulcrushingdebt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:50 pm

walket wrote:
I<3soulcrushingdebt wrote:The question I have is am I pretty much SOL even if I were to retake in say June and score in my PT range? I mean will the law school admissions simply look at my cancel, 159, and wonder what the hell happened?
It's so aggravating because I know that I am capable of at least a 165, but I am so demoralized right now that I don't even know if it's worth the hours of studying anymore. My GPA was a 3.86, which I am perfectly aware does not amount to jack squat if I keep bombing this thing.


Most schools won't care. You probably looked at this, but in case you didn't there's a really helpful (and encouraging) chart:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Retake it. You are not SOL at all. I think you should retake and June (or whenever you are ready) and get some work experience. Don't waste such a great GPA.

Check out MyLSN. The difference between a 159 and a 165 is HUGE.


Thanks for the advice. I do currently have a full time job, which makes staying up until midnight for 3 consecutive months (and 3 weeks after) studying that much more aggravating. Seems like such a wasted effort.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby cron1834 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Dec 21 make-up taker, no word yet. This would be more fun if I was feeling optimistic about the score :shock:

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby wealtheow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 pm

cron1834 wrote:Dec 21 make-up taker, no word yet. This would be more fun if I was feeling optimistic about the score :shock:


are you grey? just curious. thats some impressive turnaround on lsac's part, if so!

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Decembre 2013 Waiters

Postby cron1834 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Went grey, and "email score date" changed to Jan 2, about 5 hours ago!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, potatocowpower and 4 guests