Post removed.

nervouspervus

Re: December 2013 LSAT Waiting Thread

Postby nervouspervus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Last edited by nervouspervus on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm

nervouspervus wrote:This may be a social faux pas, but what kind of UG's did you guys go to? How seriously do the students at your school take the LSAT? I went to a BIG football school (and by big, I mean "number-1-in-the-country-and-headed-to-the-championship-game" big :p). From anecdotal observation alone, I get the impression that most kids at my school take a Kaplan course six weeks before the test and score a 152. There are some outliers at a school of 40k+ of course. I know some of my classmates got into t-14s....With that said, the elitist sensible strategy given the economics of legal education and the job market of "I've gotta at least have a shot at HYS" mantras don't really exist in my school's pre-law culture.

ftfy

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm

nervouspervus wrote:This may be a social faux pas, but what kind of UG's did you guys go to?

I think if you are looking in the right place, at any ug, you will find people gunning for the top.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:35 pm

nervouspervus wrote:This may be a social faux pas, but what kind of UG's did you guys go to? How seriously do the students at your school take the LSAT? I went to a BIG football school (and by big, I mean "number-1-in-the-country-and-headed-to-the-championship-game" big :p). From anecdotal observation alone, I get the impression that most kids at my school take a Kaplan course six weeks before the test and score a 152. There are some outliers at a school of 40k+ of course. I know some of my classmates got into t-14s....With that said, the elitist "I've gotta at least have a shot at HYS" mantras don't really exist in my school's pre-law culture.

Well, since 152 is pretty darned near close to the median score, then that would make sense, wouldn't it.

nervouspervus

Postby nervouspervus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Last edited by nervouspervus on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

nervouspervus

Postby nervouspervus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Rebexness:My point exactly! 152 is close to the "average" of all test takers, regardless of educational background. UGs ranked in the top-20 surely have a "higher than average" average LSAT score?

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:02 pm

nervouspervus wrote:Lawschool22: LOL! In Florida, FSU and UF's law schools (both ranked ~48) are both well respected, and the majority of students find full time jobs nine months post graduation. Maybe it's a geographic thing? There aren't too many attorneys walking around FL with degrees from t-14 schools. It's not like going to a state school in the mid-atlantic or in the NE where you are competing with Harvard/Yale/UVA grads.

If I go to law school, I will be a third generation lawyer...I don't really have a romanticized view of the legal field. To me, a career in law is more of a craft than it is a gateway to a triple figured salary.

With that said, my parents have graciously offered to pay for my education so I can afford going to a lower ranked school/risk not finding a job right away because I won't be swimming in debt. I understand why going to a t-14 would be more "sensible" if you were betting on getting a 250k job straight out of graduation so you can pay off loans.

wut?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:03 pm

nervouspervus wrote:Rebexness:My point exactly! 152 is close to the "average" of all test takers, regardless of educational background. UGs ranked in the top-20 surely have a "higher than average" average LSAT score?

No.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 pm

nervouspervus wrote:If I go to law school, I will be a third generation lawyer...I don't really have a romanticized view of the legal field. To me, a career in law is more of a craft than it is a gateway to a triple figured salary.

Does anyone here actually still believe in this?

nervouspervus

Postby nervouspervus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Last edited by nervouspervus on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:18 pm

nervouspervus wrote:Lawschool22: LOL! In Florida, FSU and UF's law schools (both ranked ~48) are both well respected, and the majority of students find full time jobs nine months post graduation. Maybe it's a geographic thing? There aren't too many attorneys walking around FL with degrees from t-14 schools. It's not like going to a state school in the mid-atlantic or in the NE where you are competing with Harvard/Yale/UVA grads.

If I go to law school, I will be a third generation lawyer...I don't really have a romanticized view of the legal field. To me, a career in law is more of a craft than it is a gateway to a triple figured salary.

With that said, my parents have graciously offered to pay for my education so I can afford going to a lower ranked school/risk not finding a job right away because I won't be swimming in debt. I understand why going to a t-14 would be more "sensible" if you were betting on getting a 250k job straight out of graduation so you can pay off loans.

There aren't too many attorneys walking around anywhere with degrees from T14 schools. That doesn't meant the work they do is desirable.

And are the jobs you're referring to jobs that require bar-passage? There are tons of full-time positions, but only a few types that a person with a JD should be after.

Obviously where you go completely depends on your career goals, but all I'm saying is that the majority of students who attend law school do not end up with necessarily desirable outcomes when you consider the cost and time involved.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:24 pm

nervouspervus wrote:'Tis true, rebexness! Why does it seem off to you that undergraduate students at Brown or Columbia or Harvard or Stanford generally do better on the LSAT when compared to UG students at lower ranked schools? Seems pretty expected to me.

This will settle it:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=19882

nervouspervus

Postby nervouspervus » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:45 pm

Last edited by nervouspervus on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:57 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
nervouspervus wrote:'Tis true, rebexness! Why does it seem off to you that undergraduate students at Brown or Columbia or Harvard or Stanford generally do better on the LSAT when compared to UG students at lower ranked schools? Seems pretty expected to me.

This will settle it:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19882
rebexness wrote:
nervouspervus wrote:Rebexness:My point exactly! 152 is close to the "average" of all test takers, regardless of educational background. UGs ranked in the top-20 surely have a "higher than average" average LSAT score?

No.

Looks like a yes.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:03 pm

HLS average is still only 166.
Vandys is 159.

So 152 for Big State U is not really that uncommon.

My UG had 40% in the 0-19 percent category, fwiw.

Also, as we all know, schools are not ranked based solely upon the brainpower of those enrolled.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:08 pm

rebexness wrote:So 152 for Big State U is not really that uncommon.

That's exactly what my State UG's average was, its ranked somewhere between 50-70, I think.

bound

Postby bound » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:10 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
nervouspervus wrote:If I go to law school, I will be a third generation lawyer...I don't really have a romanticized view of the legal field. To me, a career in law is more of a craft than it is a gateway to a triple figured salary.

I think he meant six figures. I made 3 figures from allowance when I was 9.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:19 pm

Austinbound wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

I think he meant six figures. I made 3 figures from allowance when I was 9.

LOL

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:24 pm

rebexness wrote:My UG had 40% in the 0-19 percent category, fwiw.

I saw this on my LSAC too and was like whoa. TLS shifted my perception and made me think everyone got 160+

that being said I went to a TTTT (would probably add an extra T in there if possible) UG that no one has ever heard of so its expected

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 pm

fnma2jd wrote:
rebexness wrote:My UG had 40% in the 0-19 percent category, fwiw.

I saw this on my LSAC too and was like whoa. TLS shifted my perception and made me think everyone got 160+

I was in a similar boat, from an UG with similar LSAT numbers. My UG had a very weak law school presence/drive. There was no law school for starters, or even more than a couple in the entire state. The one pre-law advisor for the entire campus (which had no pre-law courses, just an advisor who was also a secretary for the LA department) was very, very uninformed. So most of my knowledge came from TLS, so I had a very skewed perception of everything. Of course ultimately this made me push myself way harder, so it worked out.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I only know two people who went to LS from my UG- one at a school ranked about 100, one at TJSLol. :shock:

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:39 pm

rebexness wrote:I only know two people who went to LS from my UG- one at a school ranked about 100, one at TJSLol. :shock:

Wow. That is one thing I thought was very odd about my UG. Of the very few people I knew who went to LS, all of them were bright students. We were part of the honors program (for whatever that is worth) and were in the 25% within the program whose theses were actually approved for graduation with honors and publication in an academic journal. But none of them went to a remotely good LS, not a single one.
Last edited by Nonconsecutive on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:42 pm

rebexness wrote:I only know two people who went to LS from my UG- one at a school ranked about 100, one at TJSLol. :shock:

I went hiking this past weekend and my friend's friend goes to TJSL...at sticker. Naturally, I bit my tongue. I hope all goes well for her.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

Wow. That is one thing I thought was very odd about my UG. Of the very few people I knew who went to LS, all of them were bright students. We were part of the honors program (for whatever that is worth) and were in the 25% within the program whose theses were actually approved for graduation with honors and publication in an academic journal. But none of them went to a remotely good LS, not a single one.

Yep. These were both smart people. I talked with out about applying a few years ago, and she was like "oh they'll give you lots of loans- as much as you need".

scary as f.

dosto

Postby dosto » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Last edited by dosto on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”