Post removed.

mellow

Re: December 2013 LSAT Waiting Thread

Postby mellow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Otunga wrote:4% 95 and up. Then it's steadily between 5-7% for every other percentile until 0-19, which is at 13%.

Where are you guys getting the mean score from?

I got mine from my ug's pre-law page.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Would you consider an application submitted once December scores are released to be a "late" application? I'm starting to feel like I shot myself in the foot for taking it in December at not October...

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Austinbound wrote:Would you consider an application submitted once December scores are released to be a "late" application? I'm starting to feel like I shot myself in the foot for taking it in December at not October...

+1
Anxious AF about being a late applicant. Is there a list of schools that actively say applicants that apply early are in a better spot?

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:11 pm

bee wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
Austinbound wrote:Would you consider an application submitted once December scores are released to be a "late" application? I'm starting to feel like I shot myself in the foot for taking it in December at not October...

+1
Anxious AF about being a late applicant. Is there a list of schools that actively say applicants that apply early are in a better spot?

tls wisdom says applying earlier is definitely better than applying later, and that yes, applying after dec score release IS "late," but with dropping apps, it seems like it might make less of an impact this cycle. in addition, it is almost always better to apply later in the cycle with better stats (e.g. a higher lsat) than early in the cycle with worse stats.

see http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com/ and spiveys thread

Bee.... thank you. I guess I never considered it late because so many deadlines are at 2/15 or 3/1 or 3/15! But I am seeing all of these acceptances over in the other threads and it makes me want to rip my hair out for waiting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the sake of a better score that I waited. It's just my admittance chances that I am paranoid about.

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Austinbound wrote:
bee wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

+1

tls wisdom says applying earlier is definitely better than applying later, and that yes, applying after dec score release IS "late," but with dropping apps, it seems like it might make less of an impact this cycle. in addition, it is almost always better to apply later in the cycle with better stats (e.g. a higher lsat) than early in the cycle with worse stats.

Bee.... thank you. I guess I never considered it late because so many deadlines are at 2/15 or 3/1 or 3/15! But I am seeing all of these acceptances over in the other threads and it makes me want to rip my hair out for waiting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the sake of a better score that I waited. It's just my admittance chances that I am paranoid about.

Ha, I've been doing the exact same thing. *That helpless feeling of having my apps stalled by this wait*

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm

bee wrote:
Austinbound wrote:Bee.... thank you. I guess I never considered it late because so many deadlines are at 2/15 or 3/1 or 3/15! But I am seeing all of these acceptances over in the other threads and it makes me want to rip my hair out for waiting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the sake of a better score that I waited. It's just my admittance chances that I am paranoid about.

yeah im freaking out too. i thought i'd only have to take the lsat once in oct and i'd have my apps in before thanksgiving... lol. but at this point, there's nothing we can do about it (except sit out the cycle and apply as early as possible next sept).

Bee, are you holding off until next cycle?

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:56 pm

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:08 pm

bee wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:
bee wrote:
Austinbound wrote:Bee.... thank you. I guess I never considered it late because so many deadlines are at 2/15 or 3/1 or 3/15! But I am seeing all of these acceptances over in the other threads and it makes me want to rip my hair out for waiting. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the sake of a better score that I waited. It's just my admittance chances that I am paranoid about.

yeah im freaking out too. i thought i'd only have to take the lsat once in oct and i'd have my apps in before thanksgiving... lol. but at this point, there's nothing we can do about it (except sit out the cycle and apply as early as possible next sept).

Bee, are you holding off until next cycle?

ive definitely thought about it more than once :|

Regardless of Dec. score? I've been thinking the same, mainly for the early application advantage (and possibly a June retake :shock: )

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:13 pm

mellow

Postby mellow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:20 pm

bee wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

+1

eta i asked around about whether submitting apps before score release would make your app go complete faster--the answer was no, they wont even look at your app until it has a score, so it doesnt make any difference

Huh I actually heard the opposite - from adcomms and spivey (in a PM) no less. While most won't look at your app until it has a score, your app will go complete faster if only because of the lag time in LSAC's part in sending out all components of your app. In my experience, going from "received" to "incomplete-LSAT score pending" takes a few days to up to two weeks. And if you signed up for interviews, schools generally won't assign interviewers to you until they have your app complete or not.

Also, some schools do look at your app before your new score if you have an older one and if they feel you're a strong enough applicant with the old score, they'll accept you even before the new score.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:58 pm

As long as I get all my apps in by the 15th of January, I'll be happy. So. Fucking. Tedious.

nervouspervus

Postby nervouspervus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 pm

"Also, some schools do look at your app before your new score if you have an older one and if they feel you're a strong enough applicant with the old score, they'll accept you even before the new score."

THIS. If you scored a 170 in October, and are applying to the lower t-14 schools, then by all means SUBMIT YOUR FUCKING APPLICATIONS! I guess if you wanted to use an obscenely high LSAT score as a bargaining chip for scholarship $$$$ then maybe you should wait(i.e. if you were certain you were going to go from 170 to 180)? Personally, I think there are diminishing returns/ less of a perceivable advantage to retaking if you are already scoring in the 170s. I mean, if you had a low GPA and were trying to get into NYU then maybe holding out and retaking for a 173+ might help. Other than that, its whatever. I personally wouldn't risk the damage lost time can cast upon an applicant during a rolling admissions cycle if I knew I would get at best accepted and at worst waitlisted at my school of choice with my first score.

mellow

Postby mellow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 pm

nervouspervus wrote:THIS. If you scored a 170 in October, and are applying to the lower t-14 schools, then by all means SUBMIT YOUR FUCKING APPLICATIONS! I guess if you wanted to use an obscenely high LSAT score as a bargaining chip for scholarship $$$$ then maybe you should wait(i.e. if you were certain you were going to go from 170 to 180)?

Even if you want to use a higher LSAT for a bargaining chip for schollys, you can still do that after you get accepted.

Personally, I think there are diminishing returns/ less of a perceivable advantage to retaking if you are already scoring in the 170s. I mean, if you had a low GPA and were trying to get into NYU then maybe holding out and retaking for a 173+ might help.

:(

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 pm

bee wrote:
FlyingNorth wrote:
bee wrote:ive definitely thought about it more than once :|

Regardless of Dec. score? I've been thinking the same, mainly for the early application advantage (and possibly a June retake :shock: )

yeah. and hey, if i bombed dec, ill def be waiting a cycle, lol.

I'm a little late on this and maybe I missed it during the pages and pages of BS that have made the waiting thread number into the hundreds, BUT, Bee how'd you think of Dec?

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:06 pm

dosto wrote:
John Everyman wrote:Hate to admit it, but I was one of those people. I've always been a pretty solid test taker, didn't bother with anything for the ACT and the like. First time I walked into the LSAT I did the same thing, no prep whatsoever...I could not figure out why the guys around me were writing so furiously during their logic games sections. The ignorance was wonderful though, did not stress out at all leading up the test.

Still a wide margin between obsessive TLS-style prep and going in completely cold. I can see a lack of knowledge leading people in with minimal prep (in tune with the half-assed work ethic many of us rode through HS and college). However taking a standardized test for admission to law school completely cold, and thinking this is reasonable, still surprises me.

It is remarkable to realize that I (and, I'm sure most of us) will, in all likelihood, never study so hard for something ever again.

thejerseykid

Postby thejerseykid » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Well, I don't know if this will help put anyone's mind at ease but, I applied pretty late last cycle (in fact, most, if not all of my applications were sent on the deadline dates) and I still received quite a few acceptances including one to a top 20 school with a fairly decent scholly and I wasn't applying with the 170+ score that some of you on here will be applying with.

Also, I attended the law school forum in October and the impression I got from the school representatives I spoke to, including those from the t-14, was that there would be little to no difference between applying early and asking the schools to wait for a score or waiting for the score and then applying later. So, while you can't take any of this to be absolute I do think it's something worth considering. Of course, if you've already scored a 170+ I can see no harm in you sending in your application already and then simply having the law schools receive your newest score in January.

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nervouspervus

Postby nervouspervus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:16 pm

Last edited by nervouspervus on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

bee wrote:
retaking23 wrote:I'm a little late on this and maybe I missed it during the pages and pages of BS that have made the waiting thread number into the hundreds, BUT, Bee how'd you think of Dec?

ahhh well immediately after i was feeling alright, but nerves are definitely kicking in the closer we get to score release :(

This appears to be the consensus. Here's to hoping for a good December curve.

FlyingNorth

Postby FlyingNorth » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:23 pm

retaking23 wrote:
dosto wrote:
John Everyman wrote:Hate to admit it, but I was one of those people. I've always been a pretty solid test taker, didn't bother with anything for the ACT and the like. First time I walked into the LSAT I did the same thing, no prep whatsoever...I could not figure out why the guys around me were writing so furiously during their logic games sections. The ignorance was wonderful though, did not stress out at all leading up the test.

Still a wide margin between obsessive TLS-style prep and going in completely cold. I can see a lack of knowledge leading people in with minimal prep (in tune with the half-assed work ethic many of us rode through HS and college). However taking a standardized test for admission to law school completely cold, and thinking this is reasonable, still surprises me.

It is remarkable to realize that I (and, I'm sure most of us) will, in all likelihood, never study so hard for something ever again.

The Bar, ftfy

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Last edited by dosto on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLUERUFiO

Postby BLUERUFiO » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

bee wrote:ahhh well immediately after i was feeling alright, but nerves are definitely kicking in the closer we get to score release :(

If I remember correctly, weren't you predicting a -9 immediately after the test? ;)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”