Post removed. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Glaucon

Bronze

Re: December 2013 LSAT waiting thread

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
Glaucon wrote:
Hotguy wrote:December curves are almost never smaller than the preceding October ones, so it's safe to say that this is going to be -12 at the very least.

Lol you can't be serious. Might as well hope for a -14 since we are using bs logic.
I would wager you that the curve won't be less than -12 and will completely love my odds.

dreamofNYC

Bronze

Post by dreamofNYC » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:27 pm

ivyleaguer6 wrote:
bee wrote:
ivyleaguer6 wrote:i know this is overkill, but can someone who had TWO LOGICAL REASONING SECTIONS please confirm for me:

did any of your LR sections contain "two-part" questions (where there is one stimulus for two questions?)

i agree the games were harder than october, but i think LR and RC was easier. happy this was 101 questions, im predicting at least a -12 curve!
there was NO two q lr
good news! thanks bee

my LR experimental wasn't even that bad, but it happened right after my LG section which left me really agitated, so i was all over the place. the summarizing game wasn't actually that bad but the rules were stated in such a strange way that i completely misread them, and by the time i figured it out, it was too late. definitely got at least -3 on that. stupid.
Same here, it took me a while for me to re-gain my composure after the LG (thank god 3rd was exp!)... but i did end up rushing through the last LG and left 4 Q unanswered :( I am pretty confiddent that I got the rest correctly (except for the rule substitution Q that I don't bother with too much b/c I know I usually get wrong)

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm gonna jump on the LG was easy bandwagon. I felt bamboozled (yes, bamboozled) by one of the logic games. But I have been racked with self-doubt ever since getting my results from the October LSAT. Those flash backs: http://www.gifbin.com/983020

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Got too confident on LG and actually ran out of time on the last question because I thought I had more time. First time in about 20(?) PTs this happened. :(

The answer I picked seemed right, but then again, I had maybe 30 seconds to answer it.

ivyleaguer6

New

Post by ivyleaguer6 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 pm

dreamofNYC wrote:
ivyleaguer6 wrote:
bee wrote:
ivyleaguer6 wrote:i know this is overkill, but can someone who had TWO LOGICAL REASONING SECTIONS please confirm for me:

did any of your LR sections contain "two-part" questions (where there is one stimulus for two questions?)

i agree the games were harder than october, but i think LR and RC was easier. happy this was 101 questions, im predicting at least a -12 curve!
there was NO two q lr
good news! thanks bee

my LR experimental wasn't even that bad, but it happened right after my LG section which left me really agitated, so i was all over the place. the summarizing game wasn't actually that bad but the rules were stated in such a strange way that i completely misread them, and by the time i figured it out, it was too late. definitely got at least -3 on that. stupid.
Same here, it took me a while for me to re-gain my composure after the LG (thank god 3rd was exp!)... but i did end up rushing through the last LG and left 4 Q unanswered :( I am pretty confiddent that I got the rest correctly (except for the rule substitution Q that I don't bother with too much b/c I know I usually get wrong)
i totally feel your pain. it sucks when you know you messed up a game, because it's a negative certainty on your score - whereas tough passages and tough LR sections have a more uncertain impact on your score. i guess we'll just have to wait for january...good luck!! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fianna13

Bronze

Post by Fianna13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm so fcked. Left 4 Qs unanswered on LR2... Hello TTT

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Y'all need to quit with the curve speculation shit, it gives me hope when I'd rather just drink

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:37 pm

December curves have NEVER been smaller than the preceding October curves. There are good reasons for this. 1) All the high scorers in June and October have already applied with their 170+ and vacated the writing pool, lowering the average quality. 2) LSAC must be aware of this tendency and counters accordingly, because if they didn't, everyone would wait to write the December test. There's evidence to support this line of reasoning, since Oct and Dec curves are usually increasing vis-a-vis the June's curve of that year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jttoplawschools93

New

Post by jttoplawschools93 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:39 pm

can anyone confirm 1 or 2 rule substitution questions on the real lg, hearing some conflicting reports

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:40 pm

jttoplawschools93 wrote:can anyone confirm 1 or 2 rule substitution questions on the real lg, hearing some conflicting reports
I can confirm 2.

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

usernotfound

Bronze

Post by usernotfound » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:42 pm

jttoplawschools93 wrote:can anyone confirm 1 or 2 rule substitution questions on the real lg, hearing some conflicting reports
Confirmed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:42 pm

dosto wrote:Now comes the drinking.
ftfy buddy
dosto <3

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:43 pm

dosto wrote:Now comes the question of LSAT material disposal.
Just tossed my LSAT shit. Pretty glorious. (Knowshon_Moreno_River_Of_Tears.gif)

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm

dosto wrote:
Glaucon wrote:December curves have NEVER been smaller than the preceding October curves.
Check PT 42.

could you link the relevant curves?

LMD

New

Post by LMD » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Glaucon wrote:December curves have NEVER been smaller than the preceding October curves. There are good reasons for this. 1) All the high scorers in June and October have already applied with their 170+ and vacated the writing pool, lowering the average quality. 2) LSAC must be aware of this tendency and counters accordingly, because if they didn't, everyone would wait to write the December test. There's evidence to support this line of reasoning, since Oct and Dec curves are usually increasing vis-a-vis the June's curve of that year.
Glaucon,

You need to stop. At first, it was only your reasoning that was terrible. Now, you are demonstrating a lack of knowledge.

Properly speaking, the LSAT is not "curved." The scale is set by people who took the test previously and had the questions on their experimental sections. The evidence you are providing would seem to indicate that it is better to take the December test, which it is not. Every test is theoretically the same. You could have all of the worst testers lining up to take the same test and it would have no effect whatsoever on the scoring scale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 pm

DukeofRutgers

New

Post by DukeofRutgers » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:46 pm

snagglepuss wrote:
muzzy wrote:
snagglepuss wrote:Man, I feel like I just pointed out that section difficulty is a silly standard for guessing at curve, but we just can't help ourselves.
We spent all our logic today on 101 questions. Let us bask in the sun of irrationality for but a moment!
I suppose it is tradition.

Was LR less verbose than it has been as of late? Or am I imagining things?
I agree with you there.
I think that is how I was able to finish both LR sections with more than 5 minutes left.

dosto

Silver

Post by dosto » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Glaucon wrote:
dosto wrote:
Glaucon wrote:December curves have NEVER been smaller than the preceding October curves.
Check PT 42.

could you link the relevant curves?
I stand corrected.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

splitcity

New

Post by splitcity » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:48 pm

LMD wrote:
Glaucon wrote:December curves have NEVER been smaller than the preceding October curves. There are good reasons for this. 1) All the high scorers in June and October have already applied with their 170+ and vacated the writing pool, lowering the average quality. 2) LSAC must be aware of this tendency and counters accordingly, because if they didn't, everyone would wait to write the December test. There's evidence to support this line of reasoning, since Oct and Dec curves are usually increasing vis-a-vis the June's curve of that year.
Glaucon,

You need to stop. At first, it was only your reasoning that was terrible. Now, you are demonstrating a lack of knowledge.

Properly speaking, the LSAT is not "curved." The scale is set by people who took the test previously and had the questions on their experimental sections. The evidence you are providing would seem to indicate that it is better to take the December test, which it is not. Every test is theoretically the same. You could have all of the worst testers lining up to take the same test and it would have no effect whatsoever on the scoring scale.
But this test was noticeably harder than october. I was shocked when I found out October was -12 and I'd be shocked if this one is any less than that.

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Well then, I'm going to drink until I forget about every chair and mirror in my house.

ftbchamp232

New

Post by ftbchamp232 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:51 pm

So any bets on when we get our scores back? I hope LSAC is well rested and not too hungover Jan. 2nd and they will finish shuffling our tests around by the 4th.

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:54 pm

LMD wrote:
Glaucon,

No one has actually answered my question on the curving: since the conversion chart does change, doesn't it mean that if all the worst test takers lined up for the december test and none scored a raw score of 90 (everyone was below 98th percentile) that the curve would be generous so that the top 2% of test takers for that terrible sitting would score in the 98th percentile? Since the the experimental sections do not reflect the real difficulty of the next test (let's be real, most of us find our experimental sections to be much easier than their real counterparts), it's impossible to 'pre-determine' a curve definitively. If all the worst test takers take the december sitting, it should be theoretically possible to benefit from the lack of competition. I have many family relatives and friends who are professional economists and actuarists, and quite frankly, there's no statistical method to correct bias (the bias of a pool of inferior candidates) Could someone please help me clear this up?
Last edited by Glaucon on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”