Studying with a full time job

Young Marino

Studying with a full time job

Postby Young Marino » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:54 pm

So I'm debating taking some more time off than originally thought to gain some professional WE. This job will cost me 40 hours a week and I'd like to retake the lsat. Is it realistic to think I to study for about 10 hours a week over a year and a half and notch a 165+ using powerscore bibles and all pts? If anyone has ever attempted this please let me know.

Mauve.Dino

Re: Studying with a full time job

Postby Mauve.Dino » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Well, I work full-time and manage to get in a few hours of studying every night. I get most of my prep done during the weekends, though, so plan to have no social life for the next year--ha, ha.

Honestly, it's not bad. Maybe that's because I'm naturally introverted and I don't mind coming home, eating a quick dinner, and then hitting the books, but if you have that much time to prep, you should be okay.

I started with the Powerscore books, but for whatever reason they didn't help me very much. I personally found the Manhattan books (and more recently the LSAT Trainer) to be better for LR and LG. I'm still hit-or-miss with RC, so I can't give you much advice there. I'd focus on drilling and getting the basics down before even looking at those PTs.

So, to answer your question, yes it is doable. You can hit 165 or higher with that much prep time. Good luck!

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Mauve.Dino wrote:Well, I work full-time and manage to get in a few hours of studying every night. I get most of my prep done during the weekends, though, so plan to have no social life for the next year--ha, ha.

Honestly, it's not bad. Maybe that's because I'm naturally introverted and I don't mind coming home, eating a quick dinner, and then hitting the books, but if you have that much time to prep, you should be okay.

I started with the Powerscore books, but for whatever reason they didn't help me very much. I personally found the Manhattan books (and more recently the LSAT Trainer) to be better for LR and LG. I'm still hit-or-miss with RC, so I can't give you much advice there. I'd focus on drilling and getting the basics down before even looking at those PTs.

So, to answer your question, yes it is doable. You can hit 165 or higher with that much prep time. Good luck!

Thanks! Yea I was planning to do something like an hour and a half to two hours of prep Mon-Fri and then just being social on weekends and taking maybe 2 pts a month on Saturday mornings. I plan on getting both powerscore and Manhattan bundles sometime in January or February and then go from there. I still have all my stuff from the Kaplan course I took (complete shit) so I'm starting out slow doing a few questions a day then I'll probably take a pt next week. I got a 154 back in june but with my 3.8, I really want to up that by at least 12-14 points and maybe get into Northwestern

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

When I was studying, I was working 35-40 hrs/week and taking 16 credits. I studied Friday nights and Saturdays and used Sundays and weeknights for homework.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Maybe I can get an 8 point increase from a 154 and get serious money from the TT I really want to attend. Do you guys think that can be done by June?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:21 pm

I had a full-time job for all three times I studied for the LSAT. The first two times I put in most of my study time on weekday nights, with a PT on the weekend. The last time I put in almost no time on the weekdays and ~16 hours on the weekend. I preferred this latter schedule, but that may be a reflection of where I was in prep. (I was mostly taking PTs and reviewing since it was my third take). It also has to do with how stressful your job may be and how many productive hours you honestly have after a long day.

You just have to find what works for you.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Young Marino wrote:Thanks! Yea I was planning to do something like an hour and a half to two hours of prep Mon-Fri and then just being social on weekends and taking maybe 2 pts a month on Saturday mornings.

This is fine.

I plan on getting both powerscore and Manhattan bundles sometime in January or February and then go from there.

Pick one IMHO.

I really want to up that by at least 12-14 points and maybe get into Northwestern

Best law school EVER. :)

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I work full time. I study every night from ~7 - ~11 then do a PT on saturday morning. I review the PT and drill my weaknesses through out the week. I think I'd less efficient if time wasn't such a commodity. I have an amazingly understanding wife that if counting down the minutes until I'm done with LSAT prep.... which was supposed to be today but my test got rescheduled.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 am

EarlCat wrote:
Young Marino wrote:Thanks! Yea I was planning to do something like an hour and a half to two hours of prep Mon-Fri and then just being social on weekends and taking maybe 2 pts a month on Saturday mornings.

This is fine.

I plan on getting both powerscore and Manhattan bundles sometime in January or February and then go from there.

Pick one IMHO.

I really want to up that by at least 12-14 points and maybe get into Northwestern

Best law school EVER. :)

But is NU worth sticker? Also, what are the main differences between Manhattan and Powerscore?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”