The Break

lawschool2014hopeful

The Break

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:49 pm

On a fairly consistent basis I find my performance and raw ability to go down after the break (Things dont "click quickly"). This is not a pure endurance issue I believe. Since I can just write 4-5 sections straight without much an issue. I feel like this is similar to a physical exercise, where running 20min, rest 10min, and run another 20min is more tiring than running the hour straight.

Does anyone else have this problem?

What is your suggestion?

Caffeine/sugar during the break?

vicpin5190

Re: The Break

Postby vicpin5190 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 pm

I've tried to practicing some things, as I find I usually jump back into the test with a lack of umpf after the break. I bring in my pocket like 1 or 2 LR questions and do them intermittently just to keep it going. I dunno what the break is like though, so that may not be feasible.

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:I've tried to practicing some things, as I find I usually jump back into the test with a lack of umpf after the break. I bring in my pocket like 1 or 2 LR questions and do them intermittently just to keep it going. I dunno what the break is like though, so that may not be feasible.

this is a great idea. Can anyone comment on if this is possible or if it would be considered contraband? not even just LR questions but anything mentally stimulating.

I have kind of the same problem. I think its mostly because I've built up a momentum in the first few sections and have to start over again to get going after the break

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:49 pm

You cannot bring any material to the testing center. So bring extra L.R around or even simple math questions would be impossible. Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem .>.>. Lets hope someone has a solution.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Read and analyze flyers on the walls in the room or hallways during the break to keep your mind going or lightly jog in place, walk the halls or something to keep the blood flowing. Not much more you can do, it's only supposed to be about 15 minutes so you shouldn't cool off that much, plus, you shouldn't start off a section at full speed with a rapid reading pace anyway since skimming/speed reading leads to mistakes. Just settle back into the next section by making sure you go through all the proper mechanical steps to attack the first questions to get back into the groove quickly.

Don't focus on going fast right away when you re-start, instead focus on getting into the groove of the right approach for whatever section type it is before thinking about moving fast. It's the urge to be fast out of the gate like a racehorse that messes people up, you don't have to and should not be trying to fly fast with the first few questions before you get into the section type rhythm. Definitely don't over-think the issue, stressing about something can by itself make it a bigger deal than it really is.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Jeffort wrote:Read and analyze flyers on the walls in the room or hallways during the break to keep your mind going or lightly jog in place, walk the halls or something to keep the blood flowing. Not much more you can do, it's only supposed to be about 15 minutes so you shouldn't cool off that much, plus, you shouldn't start off a section at full speed with a rapid reading pace anyway since skimming/speed reading leads to mistakes. Just settle back into the next section by making sure you go through all the proper mechanical steps to attack the first questions to get back into the groove quickly.

Don't focus on going fast right away when you re-start, instead focus on getting into the groove of the right approach for whatever section type it is before thinking about moving fast. It's the urge to be fast out of the gate like a racehorse that messes people up, you don't have to and should not be trying to fly fast with the first few questions before you get into the section type rhythm. Definitely don't over-think the issue, stressing about something can by itself make it a bigger deal than it really is.

You are totally right, I almost always go race mode first few Q which just makes me prone to stupid mistakes later. Thanks, noted for sure.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:18 am

I was similar to you, the break wasn't great for my performance on my practice tests.

On the real thing, during break I chugged a can of Red Bull, peed because I was dying to and then sat in a corner and obsessively went over everything I did wrong on the first three sections. Everyone else was taking and eating snacks but I just stayed away from them. I didn't plan on doing this, but I was a wreck during my test. I thought I had screwed up everything, projected my score to be 5-6 points lower than it actually ended up being (I almost cancelled my score, but I ended up getting higher than my PT average)

Anyway, I found that the obsession kept me on point, and my next two sections were a breeze.

In summation, I don't recommend assuming you did terribly and freaking out about it, but maybe focusing during your break on what you did before will keep you in the LSAT zone. It certainly kept my heart rate up.

Zensack

Postby Zensack » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Don't overdo the stimulants. I took my second energy shot of the day during the break (first was in my car at the center's garage) and was really wound up during section 4. I had to do some frolicking on my way to and from the bathroom to settle back down after I finished it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”