172-174
21%
175 and up
21%

Total votes: 77

hayman

TLS LSAT performance v. Everyone else

Postby hayman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Outside of tls, I know of only 1 person who scored 170+ but many many in the 150s. How elite are tls folks? Want to gauge the tls percentiles
(I know I know..self select on top of self select)

Nova

Re: TLS LSAT performance v. Everyone else

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Im guessing the median is probably around 169/170

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Nova wrote:Im guessing the median is probably around 169/170

I would guess above 170. Since anything below gets a retake stamp in most cases. Obviously, if you're factoring in only first take attempts, then the average is most likely lower.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I seriously doubt the median of all users is above 170. That's just such a small window. Perhaps if you mean daily users, but even then I find it hard to believe that their median is in the top 1 or 2 percent of LSAT takers. There's probably a decent amount of dishonesty on the high side and not-mentioning-it on the low side.

Just because it is good advice to retake until you have maximized your score doesn't mean most people listen or do actually score over 170.

Hotguy

Postby Hotguy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:04 pm

Fiero85 wrote:I seriously doubt the median of all users is above 170. That's just such a small window. Perhaps if you mean daily users, but even then I find it hard to believe that their median is in the top 1 or 2 percent of LSAT takers. There's probably a decent amount of dishonesty on the high side and not-mentioning-it on the low side.

Just because it is good advice to retake until you have maximized your score doesn't mean most people listen or do actually score over 170.

Good point, if anything, I was referring to daily active users in the lsat prep section only. I haven't had much contact with other users outside of the prep section, but those in the study groups have scored really well. There aren't that many though..

hayman

Postby hayman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Fiero85 wrote:I seriously doubt the median of all users is above 170. That's just such a small window. Perhaps if you mean daily users, but even then I find it hard to believe that their median is in the top 1 or 2 percent of LSAT takers. There's probably a decent amount of dishonesty on the high side and not-mentioning-it on the low side.

Looking at the votes so far, it looks like vast majority of the folks here are in the top 10% or so. About half or more in the top few percent...which is crazy. If the poll were to represent the general testing population, it would have most of the votes in the first two choices.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Your poll shoulda been like

<160
161-162
163-164
165-166
167-168
169- 170
171-172
173-174
175-176
177+

:wink: 8)

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:51 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:19 am

Daily_Double wrote:I thought about this once because the activity on the board's on topic thread appears to be geared, overwhelming, towards the t14, presumably to reflect economic theories, to appease the narcissistic nature of the posters, myself included, and to reinforce the name of the site, among other reasons. If I had to throw a number on it, I'd say that a majority of the active posters scored above a 165 on the LSAT, and a sizable portion, I would say at least 40% of the active posters, scored above a 170. Those figures are almost completely arbitrary and supported solely by speculation.

The more interesting point, I think, is the attraction towards TLS---specifically, why/how people came to the boards. The answer in my opinion, other than a google misdirect perhaps, probably relates to some discrepancy between where the poster is currently at, in terms of financial security, chances of admission at top schools, knowledge of the system of legal employment and/or law school admissions, etc. We all simply want to know how to reduce the margin of the discrepancy mentioned above, and this site, though flawed in some ways, provides an adept vehicle for that reduction. The active posters in question, or at least your question, are those that understand this issue as it relates to them individually and are working towards minimizing the gap between their current situation, be it employment prospects or knowledge, and where they would like to be. Because the very act of reading topics on this boards provides a poster with helpful information, a road map of sorts, related to this very goal, and assuming they act upon this useful information which it seems they do, these posters tend to have top scores, since a requirement of the minimization of this discrepancy begins, but certainly does not end with, scoring highly on the LSAT.

Do you talk like this IRL?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:22 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 am

Daily_Double wrote:Hahaha, absolutely not, if I did I would hate myself much more than I currently do. My normal language is a combination of sarcasm, fart humor, and references to movies and television. TLS, among other things, is where I see how many commas I can throw in each post. If my posts are beginning to sound like garbage, then I'll work on that.

All good here friend! :D Just curious if this was your internet persona (which is tolerable), or your everyday conversation tone (which would be intolerable).

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Hotguy wrote:

Good point, if anything, I was referring to daily active users in the lsat prep section only. I haven't had much contact with other users outside of the prep section, but those in the study groups have scored really well. There aren't that many though..

Yeah if you narrow it to people who frequently use the LSAT prep threads, or better yet contribute answers and explanations, I could see a 171 median or more happening rather easily. But the on topic threads of TLS have a large portion of lurkers (I was one for 6 months or so before posting) that I consider users because they obviously get something out of watching what's goin on. But those who don't post about the LSAT or their score(s) are most likely not helping a 171 or more median.

Just depends on what definition we're going by for "user" really.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:22 pm

hayman wrote:

Looking at the votes so far, it looks like vast majority of the folks here are in the top 10% or so. About half or more in the top few percent...which is crazy. If the poll were to represent the general testing population, it would have most of the votes in the first two choices.

Agreed, considering even a median of 165 would be impressive, it seems the TLS median may well be insanely high. But again, I would suggest that very active users and people with excellent LSAT scores (there's plenty of overlap in those two groups) flock to these polls enough to skew the data to the high side. To what degree, I have no idea, but any group having a true median in the top 1 or 2 percent of test takers makes me skeptical.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”