Last minute RC tips?

David_Hume14

Last minute RC tips?

Postby David_Hume14 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Consistently scoring between -3 and -5, typically the -5 includes a couple dumb mistakes (e.g., choosing a main point that's too narrow but it was an early answer choice where the right answer was D or E).

Since I'm never not prone to making a dumb mistake, does anyone have any RC advice that would lessen their impact, i.e., make them hurt less by getting more right? Usually finishing at the buzzer or with :30 to spare, depending on the density of the passages and my interest level overall (obviously an interesting passage or one that includes posterior knowledge lends itself to being easier to follow, without needlessly circling back to understand terms).

What can be done in the last week to shore up RC skillz?

Jeffort

Re: Last minute RC tips?

Postby Jeffort » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:34 am

David_Hume14 wrote:
What can be done in the last week to shore up RC skillz?

More practice, review and fine tuning.

If you want quick easy tricks to boost your score a few points, you should know by now those don't exist for the LSAT.

To stop making dumb mistakes you need to solidify better habits that include verification steps and actually follow all the steps for every question, even when you want to skip some here and there to speed up. You make those dumb mistakes when you skip steps to try to speed up, so stop being careless like that and your score will improve.

meegee

Postby meegee » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:49 am

+1 to everything Jeffort said.

You might also want to change the mentality you have going in. Be enthusiastic about each passage. "I ALWAYS WANTED TO LEARN ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS WEAVING RUGS AND SHIT." I'm under the impression that the RC passages are all pretty legit and educational. View them as an opportunity to increase your knowledge about stuff you wouldn't have even bothered to think about. You'll be able to increase your arsenal of "bullshit" to spew during dinner parties: "Oh yeah, I'm totally cultured and shit. My favorite artists is that Noguchi guy."

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:40 pm

meegee wrote:+1 to everything Jeffort said.

You might also want to change the mentality you have going in. Be enthusiastic about each passage. "I ALWAYS WANTED TO LEARN ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS WEAVING RUGS AND SHIT." I'm under the impression that the RC passages are all pretty legit and educational. View them as an opportunity to increase your knowledge about stuff you wouldn't have even bothered to think about. You'll be able to increase your arsenal of "bullshit" to spew during dinner parties: "Oh yeah, I'm totally cultured and shit. My favorite artists is that Noguchi guy."

+1

i am still not where i want to be with RC, since i am skipping important steps under stress, but one thing i HAVE fixed is getting answers wrong due to aversion to the given topic. late in the game, i realized that in the back of the booklet, there is a bibliography, only for RC - because these are legit essays. it truly is an opportunity to be exposed to some new info, and it's the only part of the test you don't have to doubt so much. i do best on the passages i feel have taught me something - which can potentially be all of them, if you allow it.

wow. i think i needed to read this. got me amped up! thank you, meegee!

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 pm

wealtheow wrote:

+1

i am still not where i want to be with RC, since i am skipping important steps under stress, but one thing i HAVE fixed is getting answers wrong due to aversion to the given topic. late in the game, i realized that in the back of the booklet, there is a bibliography, only for RC - because these are legit essays. it truly is an opportunity to be exposed to some new info, and it's the only part of the test you don't have to doubt so much. i do best on the passages i feel have taught me something - which can potentially be all of them, if you allow it.

You have no idea how many times I offered information on fungi or C4 plants or seafloor spreading that dazzled my science major friends. LOL

David_Hume14

Postby David_Hume14 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Fianna13 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:

+1

You have no idea how many times I offered information on fungi or C4 plants or seafloor spreading that dazzled my science major friends. LOL

I've become an expert on the different literary techniques employed by recent immigrants in their new homes. Guess what: they borrow a lot from the past and incorporate traditional elements into a unique style all their own which also draws influence from the literature present in their current culture.

mellow

Postby mellow » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:44 pm

I know more Canadian history than my Canadian friends.

But seriously, being enthusiastic about or at the very least interested in the material really, really helps. The only RC passage I completely bombed on were ones I just couldn't get engaged by: Dutch agriculture (can writing get any more bland) and intellectual/institutional authority (I tried, but I was mostly ??? the entire passage).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”