Best snacks for break?

AliceAgain

Best snacks for break?

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 pm

I am new here and have nor come across this info - if it's somewhere else, please just point me in the right direction.

Of course, partly what is the best snack is a matter of personal taste, but I am thinking that a good snack would have some carbs (for energy) and some protein (to moderate the "sugar high and then crash" effect).

I am thinking I will bring a Snickers bar.

Anyone else?

stillwater

Re: Best snacks for break?

Postby stillwater » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Came here, expected Scifiguy question.

Whatever snacks work best for you. What do you enjoy to snack on?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:06 pm

Try eating a banana (good carb & good source of potassium) or some lunchables. Drink Gatorade (I believe they come in the small 8-oz. pack), or 100% apple juice. Granola bars have worked well for lots of people, as have apples and dark grapes.

Nuts and raisins are good.

Just avoid white, starchy foods and quick sugars. Do not eat too much food, and avoid too much grain. You may find yourself needing a toilet during your fifth section...not good.

Also, avoid coffee, because it is a diuretic that can also cause bowel movements. Avoid soda or other sugary drinks.

The most important meal for that day is actually breakfast. The snack is just to help maintain the energy you've established already that day. If you aren't used to eating it don't start now (if taking December 7 test). If taking the February exam, get into the habit of eating breakfast and a generally balanced diet.

Regularity is important for the test, i.e. You want to get used to using the restroom in the morning and having plenty of energy for the day. Train your body now! Get proper sleep and eat a healthy breakfast. Also take your vitamins daily! Reduce or eliminate the weed and alcohol. This is all common sense, really.

If you eat eggs, hash browns, wheat/whole grain toast, a cup of fruit and some bacon or sausage well before the test, you probably will use the restroom one good time before the test and have lots of energy to burn.

You might also try oatmeal, grits or cream of wheat with toast, and a cup of yogurt or fresh fruit.

Another breakfast suggestion? The continental, consisting of a muffin, bagel, croissant, or granola bar, with whole fruit, 100% juice and coffee. Minus the coffee (for most people), this could be the snack as well.

The meal you eat before the test has a far greater impact on your performance than does the snack.

meegee

Postby meegee » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:44 am

stillwater wrote:Came here, expected Scifiguy question.

Whatever snacks work best for you. What do you enjoy to snack on?

Hahahaha, I actually haven't seen much activity from him lately. Has he left TLS for good? I know he imposed some sort of self-exile.

As the previous poster said, breakfast is far more important than the snack.

TBH, I don't think it really matters. You'll only need to keep your brain functioning for around another hour (x2 35 minute sections). Whatever snack you like. I personally went with some granola bar-ish snacks and Kitkats for the sugar energy. I just did a real quick google search of "brain foods" and blue berries, oatmeal, and nuts were on the list. I wouldn't drink coffee during the break. Aside from possible caffeine jitters, you'll need to pee. If you need energy, opt for something of less volume, like a 5 hour energy drink.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 am

i brought enough food to feed an entire family during october, including...
- a banana
- almonds
- chocolate kisses
- water
- cheddar cheese
- marathon gels

the marathon gels were both a fantastic and potentially horrible idea. they were FANTASTIC because it's a way to get some caffeine without needing to drink water. they were a potentially horrible idea because you really aren't supposed to eat more than one, and i had two. i was home for about half an hour before my stomach started to hurt, so if my test had started much later i would have had to finish it while feeling like i had to take the biggest dump of my life.

my test did start almost 2 hours late tho so most people wouldnt have to worry about that. i would def endorse bringing along one or possibly two (one with caffeine, one without) for the test still :D

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:01 am

I brought raisins. Worked surprisingly well.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:53 pm

hot wings

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 pm

mephistopheles wrote:hot wings

TCR

chem!

Postby chem! » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:58 pm

stillwater wrote:

TCR

Yes, and the hotter the better.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:12 pm

chem! wrote:
stillwater wrote:

TCR

The LSAT booklet makes a great napkin too

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:27 pm

stillwater wrote:
chem! wrote:
stillwater wrote:

TCR

The LSAT booklet makes a great napkin too

don't forget that ticonderogas, preferrably the triwrite model, are great for picking your teeth while dawdling on the writing section.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Also, don't be afraid to order a pizza for a choice arrival around the end of section 5/beginning of writing section. Most test centers are in major cities, so don't be bashful in utilizing those city services.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:33 pm

hahaha i wanted to start this thread so bad but resisted for whatever reason.
i like those quaker oatmeal bars but i made the mistake of having something with fiber last time SO i was thinking those cute little keebler elf peanut butter cracker sandwiches.
i tend to not notice hunger during exams and such. not sure if that's a good thing.

chem!

Postby chem! » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:35 pm

I actually took a coconut water and some Planter's NutRition Energy mix.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:49 pm

friend chicken, with mash potatoes and corn on the side. Didn't even get to finish 2 bites before a proctor kicked me out of the testing building, AND he took them for himself.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:37 pm

hnnnng, friend chicken

AliceAgain

Postby AliceAgain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:22 pm

A more specific question - any reason why chocolate (specifically, Snickers bar) should be avoided?

In addition to the physical factors (the nuts providing some protein), Snickers bars make me happy. And I undoubtedly will be in need of a little happiness after three LSAT sections.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”