what’s your bubbling strategy?

OVOXO

what’s your bubbling strategy?

Postby OVOXO » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I know this may seem like a minor LSAT issue, but I nearly always get at least one wrong due to a misbubble and nothing makes me more upset. I bubble after each page is done for LR and RC and at the end of the game for LG.

angels2fly

Re: what’s your bubbling strategy?

Postby angels2fly » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm

OVOXO wrote:I know this may seem like a minor LSAT issue, but I nearly always get at least one wrong due to a misbubble and nothing makes me more upset. I bubble after each page is done for LR and RC and at the end of the game for LG.

I suggest guiding your finger as you bubble the pages. It shouldn't add like any time at all and forces you to match what you are bubbling in to the question.

mellow

Postby mellow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm

I used to have this problem. Getting time to check my bubbles was one of the key reasons for pushing myself until I could finish every section with at least 5 minutes to spare. Also, if you're done with a section but have very little time left, I would use it to check for misbubbles instead of going back to a difficult problem. I always check first because correcting a mistake due to a misbubble is much faster and easier than correcting a mistake on a difficult problem.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm

OVOXO wrote:I know this may seem like a minor LSAT issue, but I nearly always get at least one wrong due to a misbubble and nothing makes me more upset. I bubble after each page is done for LR and RC and at the end of the game for LG.

i was even worse than that - i'd misbubble on multiple sections. one other thing i've done is circle the wrong answer - like, NOT the answer i picked, an answer i eliminated - and then of course it gets bubbled that way and it's wrong. so infuriating! and it's actually a really big deal, because that's a whole point you would have had otherwise!

i really only do this in LR, and for me at least, it is a nerves thing - i'm rushing to make sure i'm making good time and inadvertently become careless. i think the only way to combat this is to slow down and stay calm. two things have helped me stop making stupid mistakes like this - reading the question stem first, which has improved my speed, thereby giving me more time to check answers and bubbles, which in turn makes me feel more in control - and developing breathing/focusing techniques to use when i feel myself getting a little panicky mid-section.

i bubble in basically the same manner as you - by game, by passage, and by LR page. but now, i bubble - and circle - a little more slowly, and re-check my sheet.

i'm not even sure if this is even remotely helpful. are you finishing sections with time to spare?

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 pm

wealtheow wrote:

i was even worse than that - i'd misbubble on multiple sections. one other thing i've done is circle the wrong answer - like, NOT the answer i picked, an answer i eliminated - and then of course it gets bubbled that way and it's wrong. so infuriating! and it's actually a really big deal, because that's a whole point you would have had otherwise!

i really only do this in LR, and for me at least, it is a nerves thing - i'm rushing to make sure i'm making good time and inadvertently become careless. i think the only way to combat this is to slow down and stay calm. two things have helped me stop making stupid mistakes like this - reading the question stem first, which has improved my speed, thereby giving me more time to check answers and bubbles, which in turn makes me feel more in control - and developing breathing/focusing techniques to use when i feel myself getting a little panicky mid-section.

i bubble in basically the same manner as you - by game, by passage, and by LR page. but now, i bubble - and circle - a little more slowly, and re-check my sheet.

i'm not even sure if this is even remotely helpful. are you finishing sections with time to spare?

Yeah I am and I spend that time going over the tough questions in the section. I think I’ll start checking my bubble sheet against the page before I turn it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Finish section :arrow: bubble everything

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:38 am

I read a post from a while ago where this guy says that bubbling after you finish the section gives you slightly more time. Or you can bubble after each page/game/passage/number of questions. He put in some theoretical numbers that seemed pretty plausible, and the math came out in favor of bubbling after a section.

But then he also pointed out the possibilities of misbubbling and came to the conclusion that the marginal time saved from bubbling after a section wasn't worth the extra seconds you save.

I bubbled after each question, just because there's nothing worse than reaching question 25 and realizing you're bubbling question 24. Happened to me once during a PT. After that, I always bubbled after each question. Some other considerations. If you're so stressed for time that you need those extra few seconds gained from bubbling in a certain way, it means you need to study a bit more.

There are cautionary measures you can take to not misbubble, as a previous poster stated. But those additional steps require a bit more time. There may be a chance that, in the end, the time you would have saved bubbling after each section ends up being used executing those extra "steps." In the end, it might just be better to bubble as you go.

neprep

Postby neprep » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:52 am

I bubble after each question and it has never failed me.

Bubbling after a set of questions leaves too much room for error in my mind. At that point you're just noting down a string of random letters — but right after you've done that question, "(B)" is mentally associated with all the characteristics of a good answer, rather than being just one in a string of letters. The more random it seems, the more likely you are to make mistakes.

staples88

Postby staples88 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:33 am

does it take you about 90seconds to bubble 25 questions? I remember a post where someone said you can do a bubble in .4 seconds if you're really fast, and that's just crazy. it usually takes me 2-3secs to do 1 bubble.

am I doing things wrong?

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:15 am

neprep wrote:I bubble after each question and it has never failed me.

Bubbling after a set of questions leaves too much room for error in my mind. At that point you're just noting down a string of random letters — but right after you've done that question, "(B)" is mentally associated with all the characteristics of a good answer, rather than being just one in a string of letters. The more random it seems, the more likely you are to make mistakes.

+1 to this.

staples88 wrote:does it take you about 90seconds to bubble 25 questions? I remember a post where someone said you can do a bubble in .4 seconds if you're really fast, and that's just crazy. it usually takes me 2-3secs to do 1 bubble.

am I doing things wrong?

You're looking too much into bubbling. If you really want to bubble faster, grab a duller pencil. I'm sure the flatter tip will make bubbling a little bit faster. Other than that, I don't think it's worth investing any more time into bubbling. The time spent "training" yourself to bubble faster can be used for studying. Or doing anything other than bubbling. Obviously you should be bubbling when you do PTs, but no need to do any practice bubbling outside of that so you can "bubble in 0.4 seconds."

If you're so stressed for time that you need those extra few seconds gained from bubbling in a certain way, it means you need to study a bit more.

raindrop

Postby raindrop » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:47 am

I bubble after each answer and I haven't had to deal with any miss-bubbles yet. FWIW After doing a few sections and just circling the answers I timed myself just filling in the bubbles after (looking at q# finding/filling in bubbles) it takes about 1-1.5 minutes total.

Christine (MLSAT)

Postby Christine (MLSAT) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am

Worrying about which bubbling strategy saves 5 seconds seems like insanity.

The only question I think should matter at all here is which bubbling strategy leaves you the least likely to misbubble. For me, that has always been doing a two-page open spread, then bubbling in everything on that spread before turning the page. Bubbling after every single question seriously breaks my mental flow, and waiting til the end increases my likelihood of misbubbling by a huge factor.

For some reason, if I have to turn pages while bubbling, that confuses some part of my brain. Much easier for me for do everything on the open pair of pages, bubble all that in, double check that my answers started and ended on the right numbers, and with the right letters, and then turn the page and feel like that mini-section is all tidied away. And while bubbling after each question breaks my flow, bubbling after each page spread feels like a palette-cleanser.

Then there's the anxiety factor - if I leave everything to be bubbled at the end, as the section moves forward I have this growing sense of dread that I'm going to misjudge my time and be left scrambling to bubble in everything at the last second. Whether or not this actually happens, that anxiety has an impact on my performance.

At any rate, figure out which method gives you the smallest chance for error. That's going to be different for different people. But whatever you pick, make sure you practice with it a bunch, so that it is second nature and completely autopilot on test day. You don't want to waste mental energy *deciding* how best to bubble that day.

ljoandc

Postby ljoandc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:56 pm

raindrop wrote:I bubble after each answer and I haven't had to deal with any miss-bubbles yet. FWIW After doing a few sections and just circling the answers I timed myself just filling in the bubbles after (looking at q# finding/filling in bubbles) it takes about 1-1.5 minutes total.

I bubble after each answer too. It's just how I've done multiple choice exams all my life. Doesn't make sense to deviate if I've been used to it for so long. Lol. It doesn't interrupt my mental flow in particular. Like Christine said, it's going to be different for different people.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:35 pm

I like the idea of doing two pages at a time. It seems like a good middle ground. You get to fill in more answers at one time, but you aren't doing the entire section at a time which could result in more mistakes.

BerkeleyMan5

Postby BerkeleyMan5 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm apparently in the minority here, but for LR I bubbled after I finished the section and never misbubbled. To avoid misbubbling, I would say the question number and answer silently to myself as I bubbled (i.e. "24 C, 25 E, 26 B"). There's no way I could bubble after each question-it would totally throw off my flow. For RC, I generally bubbled at the end of the section, but if I wasn't feeling comfortable with my pacing for some reason (unusual for RC, but it happened on occasion), I would bubble after the second or third passage just in case I ran short on time. For LG, I bubbled after the second game, then after the third game, then again after the fourth game-I only did this because I struggled with timing issues with LG, and there was a legitimate possibility I could run out of time.

Misbubbles are no joke, though-I recall several October takers who had very obviously misbubbled, and LSAC refused to change their score on appeal (as they supposedly have on occasion in the past).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”