Week before the exam, PT or no?

MiracleNeeded

Week before the exam, PT or no?

Postby MiracleNeeded » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 am

I've been PTing Mon Wed fir this week, down to a few tests 65 66 67 68 and 69. Should I just do one Sunday tue Thur? No PT at all? I know not to PT the day before but how about the week leading up to it?

nooooo

Re: Week before the exam, PT or no?

Postby nooooo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:42 am

It's a personal thing.

I PT everyday until the test, including the day before. I like to take the real test as if it were just any other day. It's really dictated by your level of effort, time constraints, fatigue, and other obligations you might have. Taking a PT half-asleep after work and struggling through will usually net someone a lower score that is not be indicative of their ability, and bum them out. I'd only take them if I could be as awake and active as I would be on test day.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am

agree with the above, but also i would definitely do at least 1 or 2 just because you don't want to lose your groove.

David_Hume14

Postby David_Hume14 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:01 am

nooooo wrote:It's a personal thing.

I PT everyday until the test, including the day before. I like to take the real test as if it were just any other day. It's really dictated by your level of effort, time constraints, fatigue, and other obligations you might have. Taking a PT half-asleep after work and struggling through will usually net someone a lower score that is not be indicative of their ability, and bum them out. I'd only take them if I could be as awake and active as I would be on test day.

This gives me hopes, haha. most of my PTs are after work and they're gawdawful

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 am

David_Hume14 wrote:

same here, and actually, it makes me feel better, because on test-day, i will be taking a test fresh, as opposed to after a day of BS!
i plan on taking a test about every day until the 7th. i want it to feel like an ordinary task.

David_Hume14

Postby David_Hume14 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:39 am

wealtheow wrote:
David_Hume14 wrote:

same here, and actually, it makes me feel better, because on test-day, i will be taking a test fresh, as opposed to after a day of BS!
i plan on taking a test about every day until the 7th. i want it to feel like an ordinary task.

i most look forward to the structure. i'm tempted to lose focus when there aren't proctors 10 ft in front of me.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 am

David_Hume14 wrote:
i most look forward to the structure. i'm tempted to lose focus when there aren't proctors 10 ft in front of me.

haha, i feel the same way! i am not good at playing make-believe when it comes to these. i'm excited to have no need to pretend.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:56 pm

I would PT to stay sharp (and to maintain pace. I find that when I take breaks from PT I get sloppy on time)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Friday is a day of rest - minimal LSAT work. You're not going to have a breakthrough on that day; you're not going to get rusty from one day off.

If you take a PT Tues/Wed and it goes well, I'd probably stop there and just review/refresh for the rest of the week. If it doesn't, you can take another one and chalk it up to a fluke. If you take one Thurs and bomb it, you're not recovering from that.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm

bp shinners wrote:Friday is a day of rest - minimal LSAT work. You're not going to have a breakthrough on that day; you're not going to get rusty from one day off.

If you take a PT Tues/Wed and it goes well, I'd probably stop there and just review/refresh for the rest of the week. If it doesn't, you can take another one and chalk it up to a fluke. If you take one Thurs and bomb it, you're not recovering from that.

Thanks, so I guess I'll do Monday and Wednesday and use Thursday to review Wednesday's test Friday to play a couple of my old games and go over some assumption LR questions.

Funny you should say that about breakthroughs, I may have had a breakthrough on games the last few days, I e just been seeing things differently, and I'm faster. I think I'm peaking on games late in the game which I'm happy about.

meegee

Postby meegee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm

I think it really depends on the individual. But as bpshinners said, if you take a PT around Weds, and it's a great score, I would just stop taking PTs from then on. Ending on a good note gives you confidence. Also, there's nothing worse than a sudden drop in your score a few days before the real thing. Drops in scores can mean a variety of things, and it's normal for it to happen (after all, the LSAT gives you a +/-3 point range I think. So if you scored a 170, you could have scored anywhere from 167-173 on another test, and that would still be considered "normal.")

I think the week leading up to the exam is more about prepping yourself mentally, remaining confident, and all the other factors that are not directly related to LSAT and LSAT studying.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 pm

However many you take, the most beneficial value of PTs is what you gain from reviewing it to figure out the mistakes you made. You should only take as many PTs that you will have enough time to also thoroughly review to figure out your correctable mistakes. Reviewing mistakes is a good way to figure out steps you skipped/forgot to do that, had you done them, would have likely lead to the correct answer rather than the trap you originally picked to remind yourself to make sure not to skip those steps the next time you take a timed test, specifically on test day.

Taking a timed PT you don't thoroughly review is pretty much just wasted effort since you don't learn anything from it other than your current performance level that day.

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:37 pm

As everyone else stated it all depends on the person but here is what worked for me. I finished all fresh PTs I think the Sunday before the test, so 6 days or so before. I did two retakes of the most recent (68 and 69 in my case) in the first half of the last week just to 1) make sure I reviewed the most recent question types and 2) to boost my confidence because they were nowhere close to be representative and I remembered a lot of the tests so I got 180s which was a confidence boost regardless of the obvious advantage I had over other PTs.

I personally benefited score wise on my PTs from taking it easy and taking a few days off before a PT. That was my "magic" key to break into the 175+ range. I know others have had the same experience and even know it seems so against everything you know about studying you can't deny statistical proof. So I took the last 2-3 days very easy and did absolutely nothing the day before because I had figured out I do better with some mental break. If you have noticed this trend as well then you should fight the urge to study hard the last few days.

However, plenty of other people are the opposite and got their best scores after taking PTs multiple days in a row, so it is all a matter of what you have found works best.

EIther way I do really endorse the day off for the day before. Go see a movie or do something that doesn't involve much brain activity but will also get your mind off the next day. Also, it's been said a million times on here and I've said it before but really get your morning routine down now. Wake up when you will be waking up. Eat what you will be eating. When you PT have the same drink/snack combo you will have on test day. Know exactly how you're going to warm up (if at all) on test day and do that every morning regardless of a PT or not. Make an early morning drive to the test center if that's what you will have to do on game day (I assume this can help but I got fortunate enough to have it on my UG within walking distance). Just take all the variables out the equation so it's just the test that is (somewhat) unknown on test day.

Good luck!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 am

drevo wrote:As everyone else stated it all depends on the person but here is what worked for me. I finished all fresh PTs I think the Sunday before the test, so 6 days or so before. I did two retakes of the most recent (68 and 69 in my case) in the first half of the last week just to 1) make sure I reviewed the most recent question types and 2) to boost my confidence because they were nowhere close to be representative and I remembered a lot of the tests so I got 180s which was a confidence boost regardless of the obvious advantage I had over other PTs.

I personally benefited score wise on my PTs from taking it easy and taking a few days off before a PT. That was my "magic" key to break into the 175+ range. I know others have had the same experience and even know it seems so against everything you know about studying you can't deny statistical proof. So I took the last 2-3 days very easy and did absolutely nothing the day before because I had figured out I do better with some mental break. If you have noticed this trend as well then you should fight the urge to study hard the last few days.

However, plenty of other people are the opposite and got their best scores after taking PTs multiple days in a row, so it is all a matter of what you have found works best.

EIther way I do really endorse the day off for the day before. Go see a movie or do something that doesn't involve much brain activity but will also get your mind off the next day. Also, it's been said a million times on here and I've said it before but really get your morning routine down now. Wake up when you will be waking up. Eat what you will be eating. When you PT have the same drink/snack combo you will have on test day. Know exactly how you're going to warm up (if at all) on test day and do that every morning regardless of a PT or not. Make an early morning drive to the test center if that's what you will have to do on game day (I assume this can help but I got fortunate enough to have it on my UG within walking distance). Just take all the variables out the equation so it's just the test that is (somewhat) unknown on test day.

Good luck!

Yes! Getting into and staying in a regular sleep/wake and eating schedule from now all the way to test day to remove all those variables as potential trouble makers on test day is probably at least as if not more important to your test day score than how many PTs you do during the last week. Being tired/groogy/feeling out of sorts from normal on test day can easily knock your score down several scaled points if that is not how you've been feeling when you took your PTs.

Scoring 5 or more points lower on test day because you aren't used to being awake and thinking/concentrating/analyzing as sharply as possible in the morning is unacceptable and a great way to flush weeks/months of prep efforts down the drain just to avoid the annoyance of having to get up early every day for a week or two to get in proper shape. If hitting the highest score you possibly can is really important and you are dedicated to getting a high score, you will force yourself into the proper sleep/wake cycle for at least the last week. If sleeping in a little/not getting up bright and early next week is more important than maxing out your LSAT performance on test day, that's your deal with priorities and you'll just have to settle for the results it gives you and whether it was worth it or not. Take this stuff seriously if you really want to leave no stone unturned that could possibly influence your test day performance.

Mahone Shore

Postby Mahone Shore » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:33 am

Exactly!!

as a retaker, I have to say I don't even want to think about last time. Cuz so many harsh PTs without thorough review just is a way to ruin your LSAT.(espacilly when you work very hard)

Jeffort wrote:However many you take, the most beneficial value of PTs is what you gain from reviewing it to figure out the mistakes you made. You should only take as many PTs that you will have enough time to also thoroughly review to figure out your correctable mistakes. Reviewing mistakes is a good way to figure out steps you skipped/forgot to do that, had you done them, would have likely lead to the correct answer rather than the trap you originally picked to remind yourself to make sure not to skip those steps the next time you take a timed test, specifically on test day.

Taking a timed PT you don't thoroughly review is pretty much just wasted effort since you don't learn anything from it other than your current performance level that day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”