Question on Conditional Logic

Lsataddict175

Question on Conditional Logic

Postby Lsataddict175 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Reading the Trainer right now and am having difficulty in understanding something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Statement: "All animals other than whales love music."
This means: "If you're not a whale, you love music."
Contrapositive: "If you don't love music, you're a whale."

When I initially did this question, I interpreted it as: "If you love music, then you're not a whale." Why is this reasoning wrong? Whales can't love music. Just started conditional logic and can't seem to understand why this reasoning is wrong. Please forgive me if the answer is obvious.

jttoplawschools93

Re: Question on Conditional Logic

Postby jttoplawschools93 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:49 pm

because you can love music and be a whale

just because all animals other than whales love music, doesn't mean whales can't

Lsataddict175

Postby Lsataddict175 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 pm

jttoplawschools93 wrote:because you can love music and be a whale

just because all animals other than whales love music, doesn't mean whales can't

Thank you, totally understand now. Can't believe I missed that!

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Lsataddict175 wrote:Reading the Trainer right now and am having difficulty in understanding something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Statement: "All animals other than whales love music."
This means: "If you're not a whale, you love music."
Contrapositive: "If you don't love music, you're a whale."

When I initially did this question, I interpreted it as: "If you love music, then you're not a whale." Why is this reasoning wrong? Whales can't love music. Just started conditional logic and can't seem to understand why this reasoning is wrong. Please forgive me if the answer is obvious.

7sage has four blog posts about conditional logic that are very helpful. If you still need an outline I have this conditional sheet, but I don't know how to upload photos.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”