HELP NEEDED!!!!!

LcarpetronD543
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:22 pm

HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby LcarpetronD543 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:19 am

I could really use some advice right now from people who know what they're talking about! I am taking the LSAT for the first time in December (two weeks from tomorrow). I have been studying since September on a regular basis, and in my timed practice tests I'm missing between 0 and 2 on every logical reasoning and reading comprehension section. I am very confident in my preparation and abilities on those sections.

HOWEVER

The logic games are killing me. Some sections I'll miss only a couple or even none. Other times I'll completely blow a game and miss upwards of 10. If it's possible, I would like to go into the test as well-prepared as possible, not relying on LSAC to save me by throwing out an easy LG section.

I'm completely lost on how to consistently score high on the logic games sections, and any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated. I'm on Thanksgiving break right now, so I plan on spending the entirety of next week to implement a strategy to get me in the best shape possible come test day.

I've completed the LG Bible from cover to cover, and I've also done the Logic Games Workbook. I have multiple photocopies of every logic game from most preptests sorted into binders according to the Pithypike method, and I've been working through the binders randomly over the course of my studying. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to improve.

SAVE ME TLS!!!

Nicolena.
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby Nicolena. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:53 am

PM sent.

LcarpetronD543 wrote:I could really use some advice right now from people who know what they're talking about! I am taking the LSAT for the first time in December (two weeks from tomorrow). I have been studying since September on a regular basis, and in my timed practice tests I'm missing between 0 and 2 on every logical reasoning and reading comprehension section. I am very confident in my preparation and abilities on those sections.

HOWEVER

The logic games are killing me. Some sections I'll miss only a couple or even none. Other times I'll completely blow a game and miss upwards of 10. If it's possible, I would like to go into the test as well-prepared as possible, not relying on LSAC to save me by throwing out an easy LG section.

I'm completely lost on how to consistently score high on the logic games sections, and any advice would be VERY MUCH appreciated. I'm on Thanksgiving break right now, so I plan on spending the entirety of next week to implement a strategy to get me in the best shape possible come test day.

I've completed the LG Bible from cover to cover, and I've also done the Logic Games Workbook. I have multiple photocopies of every logic game from most preptests sorted into binders according to the Pithypike method, and I've been working through the binders randomly over the course of my studying. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to improve.

SAVE ME TLS!!!

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby mellow » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:04 am

I just worked through the Cambridge packets (Games from PTs 1-38 sorted by type) multiple times. In the beginning, it took about 10-15 minutes for even some of the easier ones, but about halfway through each packet, I was recognizing patterns and inferences common to that type. I was also modifying what I learned from the LGB and developing my own strategies as I worked through the packets.

Each time, I wrote how long it took me to finish the game and how many I got incorrect into a spreadsheet. Whatever game I took 8+ minutes on, I went back after finishing all the packets and did it again. And repeat. And repeat.

Not saying this is the best or most efficient way, but this got me to a point where I consistently get -0 with 5~10 minutes left over for LG with the occasional -1 from misbubbling or misreading. The only time I didn't have extra time leftover was with PT68 (got -1 for running out of time on the last question). That last game is brutal.

LcarpetronD543
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby LcarpetronD543 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:14 am

melodygreenleaf wrote:I just worked through the Cambridge packets (Games from PTs 1-38 sorted by type) multiple times. In the beginning, it took about 10-15 minutes for even some of the easier ones, but about halfway through each packet, I was recognizing patterns and inferences common to that type. I was also modifying what I learned from the LGB and developing my own strategies as I worked through the packets.

Each time, I wrote how long it took me to finish the game and how many I got incorrect into a spreadsheet. Whatever game I took 8+ minutes on, I went back after finishing all the packets and did it again. And repeat. And repeat.

Not saying this is the best or most efficient way, but this got me to a point where I consistently get -0 with 5~10 minutes left over for LG with the occasional -1 from misbubbling or misreading. The only time I didn't have extra time leftover was with PT68 (got -1 for running out of time on the last question). That last game is brutal.


Thank you for your fast response.

Okay. I've heard this is a good approach. I think I'll give it a try. So I just download the PDF from the Cambridge website of the Logic Games Grouped By Type and print it off and get to work?

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby mellow » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:24 am

LcarpetronD543 wrote:Thank you for your fast response.

Okay. I've heard this is a good approach. I think I'll give it a try. So I just download the PDF from the Cambridge website of the Logic Games Grouped By Type and print it off and get to work
Yep! But also print out all the games from whatever PTs you have after PT38 and include them in your drilling. The PTs in the 60s have some oddball ones.

LcarpetronD543
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby LcarpetronD543 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:13 pm

I downloaded the Cambridge packets and have been going through the Determined Assignment games today. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to actually make progress at getting better. When you went through the games did you review the correct solutions after each attempt? What was your process?

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby mellow » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:06 pm

LcarpetronD543 wrote:I downloaded the Cambridge packets and have been going through the Determined Assignment games today. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to actually make progress at getting better. When you went through the games did you review the correct solutions after each attempt? What was your process?

1. Do 1 game.
2. Review answers.
3. If the game took an insane amount of time, check out the 7sage explanation for that game. Otherwise just note the time.
4. Repeat for entire packet.

Even if you're really stuck, I think there's a lot to benefit from trying as many diagrams as possible until you find the right one instead of going straight to explanations.

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby dosto » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:48 am

.
Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: HELP NEEDED!!!!!

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:32 am

dosto wrote:Assuming you're not applying this cycle, it may be wise to delay taking the test if you're not comfortably getting -0/-1 on LG with less than two weeks to go (especially if you're getting high LR/RC scores). LG is really where you can rack up points, but you want them to be automatic at this point so you don't get thrown off or let anxiety get the best of you. Obviously February is not ideal because it's not disclosed, but two extra months of honing LG could really make a huge difference, especially in your case.

Your problem might also be the result of your method not working for you (personally I did not like the LG Bible). If you do end up delaying, maybe try to seek another method (Velocity, 7Sage, etc.) which might work better.

Again, I know delaying sucks, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice heading in without proper LG prep.


Good man Dosto. Surprised no one else said this yet. +1




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Bob loblaw law blog, CHyde, lnsl123, phelpsy, Tazewell, The_Pluviophile and 17 guests