What are the not-to-be-missed LGs from the early tests?

AliceAgain

What are the not-to-be-missed LGs from the early tests?

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:32 pm

I have been lurking here for a bit but have not seen this question answered (if the info is somewhere else, just point me in the right direction).

I am chugging along on my prep for the February test, and should get through tests 50 - 71. I am not planning to do all 71 tests, partly because my understanding is that the tests have changed significantly over time (if this is a big mistake, I would be open to revising my plan, but for now it does not include completing tests 1 - 49). But I am sure there are some very good, helpful LG questions buried in those early tests.

So, my question is, is there a list of must-do Logic Games from all of the tests?

Mauve.Dino

Re: What are the not-to-be-missed LGs from the early tests?

Postby Mauve.Dino » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Try PT 62, S3, G2 - Stained Glass

Also, *glances at own username* look at PT57, S1, G3 - Dinosaur Game

Be prepared to cry. A lot.

:mrgreen:

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Also interested in this.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:02 pm

AliceAgain wrote:I have been lurking here for a bit but have not seen this question answered (if the info is somewhere else, just point me in the right direction).

I am chugging along on my prep for the February test, and should get through tests 50 - 71. I am not planning to do all 71 tests, partly because my understanding is that the tests have changed significantly over time (if this is a big mistake, I would be open to revising my plan, but for now it does not include completing tests 1 - 49). But I am sure there are some very good, helpful LG questions buried in those early tests.

So, my question is, is there a list of must-do Logic Games from all of the tests?

I don't think it's necessary to go back further than PT 50, but I would be prepared to repeat many (i.e., most) of the games multiple times.

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Oh, and some people may not have had trouble with it, but I hated the Bus Stop game - PT55, S4, G4

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Ugh - RC fail.

Yes, there are some old classics, as well.

Lizards and Snakes -- PT 27, S2, G2

Plus, Zephyr Airlines -- PT 40, S2, G3

-

Actually, I just hate LG. Ha, ha...

Wrong Marx

Postby Wrong Marx » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Just do all of them.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:35 pm

I think the books on the shelves game is also very instructive, along with the jeweler in/out game. I don't know the PT number for those though.

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:41 pm

This is what I did to prep for LG. For what it's worth, I had no trouble tackling Dinos and Zeph airlines.

PT1-38. Do each and every single one of them twice. Perhaps your first round through can be done by type as sorted by Cambridge. After you finish your appropriate section in your book (Manhattan, Powerscore, Trainer, etc) start drilling the type you just learned about. Your second time through you should just do them by section - aka all of PT1 logic games timed (although if your timer goes past 35 mins, keep working. When you're done notate the time and then review.)

Reviewing is as important as drilling. Grade your answers. Go back to the game that gave you troubles. Try working it out on your own. Watch 7sages video.

Keep a list of games that gave you problems. You'll be coming back to this later.

Move on to the ones after PT38. Block out the PTs you will be using for testing conditions, the rest will be used for drilling. Start doing those PTs in sections as well. After you've exhausted these PTs, return to the list of hard games. Assemble 4 hard games into one section. Attempt to finish it under 35 minutes with -0/-1.

Rinse and repeat as you want after that.

Moral of story: Your LG should consistently be -0/-1. View LG as free points.

Notable hard games off the top of my head:
Snakes and Lizards
R and S clinic
Bus game

There are some lists of hard games out there. Check TLS and Steve's LSAT blog.

Postby 062914123 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:23 pm

bee wrote:lg is the bane of my existence. early games that are particularly brutal off the top of my head:

clinics game (34 g4, in/out, doctors going to souderton and randsborough clinics)
antibiotics game (24 g4, in/out, subgroups, a shitload of info to keep straight)
windows/aisles on a bus (will make you want to cry. if you want to figure out if you're any good at inferences, try this one)
zephyr airlines (another one that requires you to make the correct inferences quickly and perfectly)
the circular game on 41 (the hardest circular game by far imho)
film buffs (pt 27, g3 -- if you dont make the right hypos you are fucked)
books on shelves (37 g3 this game is probably one of the most complex ive ever seen)

Good list. I personally think the books on the shelves game is the hardest LSAT game ever, but a lot of instructors disagree and rank the snakes and lizards game as the hardest.

OVOXO

Postby OVOXO » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:26 pm

bee wrote:lg is the bane of my existence. early games that are particularly brutal off the top of my head:

clinics game (34 g4, in/out, doctors going to souderton and randsborough clinics)
antibiotics game (24 g4, in/out, subgroups, a shitload of info to keep straight)
windows/aisles on a bus (will make you want to cry. if you want to figure out if you're any good at inferences, try this one)
zephyr airlines (another one that requires you to make the correct inferences quickly and perfectly)
the circular game on 41 (the hardest circular game by far imho)
film buffs (pt 27, g3 -- if you dont make the right hypos you are fucked)
books on shelves (37 g3 this game is probably one of the most complex ive ever seen)

Seconding what Bee says, adding only that in pt27, snakes made film buffs feel like a walk in the park, at least to me (though film buffs is also tough)

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised that some had trouble with PT37, S3, G3 (books on a bookshelf). I don't remember that one being too difficult. Then again, I usually find grouping games easier to process in my head than ordering games, so maybe that was why?

In any case, I remembered another game that completely warped my brain: Dr. Yamata's schedule, (PT7, S2, G2). I haven't tried it in a while, but when I first started my LSAT prep, I remember that game giving me such a headache because I forgot to include a very crucial element in my diagram. :(

Postby 062914123 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raindrop

Postby raindrop » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Just went through some old games and these really stood out...

pt 25 g3 (in/out - golf and tennis teams w/ ranking)
pt 26 g4 (undetermined assignment - lawmakers/scientists + chairperson)
pt 1 g4 (undetermined assignment - railway lines + ticket colors)
pt 29 g3 (simple ordering - college dean + language awards)
pt 13 g4 (misc - harvest ceremonies) timing was a huge issue for me here
30 g1 (loaves) idk this one sucked.

I'm at -1/-2 on my games sections now. Global questions (cannot be true in particular) are usually the culprits though. Any suggestions on methods or games to practice on?

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Maple oak trees PT B game 2

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Tagging and bumping.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Juarez and Rosenberg game (introductory/advanced textbooks)

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:06 pm

raindrop wrote:Just went through some old games and these really stood out...

pt 25 g3 (in/out - golf and tennis teams w/ ranking)
pt 26 g4 (undetermined assignment - lawmakers/scientists + chairperson)
pt 1 g4 (undetermined assignment - railway lines + ticket colors)
pt 29 g3 (simple ordering - college dean + language awards)
pt 13 g4 (misc - harvest ceremonies) timing was a huge issue for me here
30 g1 (loaves) idk this one sucked.

I'm at -1/-2 on my games sections now. Global questions (cannot be true in particular) are usually the culprits though. Any suggestions on methods or games to practice on?

I think some general questions are time traps. They sometimes require more time than they're worth. I have developed a couple methods for dealing with these. First, keep drilling games until you're really fast. Then, you can circle the difficult questions and come back to them once you've finished all the other games. I usually have ~10 minutes left after completing all the games. I use that time to double check the toughest questions.

Second, you can push off a difficult global question until you have finished all of the other questions for that game. At that point, it's not as important to keep your written work organized. Once I'm down to the last question, I just start plugging and chugging each answer into my diagram. I don't like to plug and chug for earlier questions in the game because I want to rely on the information in my diagram for other questions. But for the last question of the game, go wild on the diagram. Map out every answer choice if you need to.

Third, I've noticed a particular pattern. Some of these global questions ask you to name a particular element. For example, "Which of the following groups CANNOT march third in the parade?" Sometimes, you can eliminate answers without working out the details for that particular game. For instance, suppose groups A and B are both in the answer choices, and further suppose that there are no rules at all dealing with either A or B. In that case, both A and B must be wrong since there is no way to distinguish between the two. Whatever is true for one is true for the other, so if one of them could not be third, then neither could the other. You can't have two right answers, so they both have to be wrong. I use this trick to help zero in on the correct answer, and then I usually work out the logic once I know which answer to focus on. This also works if two elements are treated exactly the same way by the rules. Suppose there are no rules about A and B except that each one must come after C. In that case, A and B are again indistinguishable.

Last point: I like to make a note of which elements are not factored into the rules. I call those the "left overs." The left over elements (if there are any) are indistinguishable from one another, and they are the easiest ones to forget about when I'm contemplating hypotheticals in my mind. So I mark the left over elements by circling them so that it's easy for me to refer back to my element list to see which ones I haven't thought about yet after working through the rules.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:39 pm

the interesting thing about stained glass is that I went through it once in September going through my first round of prep and just retook the games section from PT62 a few days ago and still did not reference the actual game with the mysterious "stained glass" game everyone talks about. only just reading through this thread am I putting two and two together that I've done stained glass a few times. I didn't notice it to be a hard game. Snakes/lizards was a harder game in my honest opinion

Postby 062914123 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AliceAgain

Postby AliceAgain » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Any more not-to-be missed LGs?

In preparation for Saturday, today is my last day for hard material . . . tomorrow and Friday I am going to try to keep my skills up with the easy to medium material . . .

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:07 pm

AliceAgain wrote:Any more not-to-be missed LGs?

In preparation for Saturday, today is my last day for hard material . . . tomorrow and Friday I am going to try to keep my skills up with the easy to medium material . . .

The mods don't want us posting links, but on my website there are two new infographics about games -- one has a list of the most unusual games from exams 29-69, and the other a list of the hardest from 29-69 -- you may want to take a quick look at those -- MK

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gungnir

Postby Gungnir » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Birds in the forest (PT33 G2) is a good one for working on in/out conditionals. Not the hardest, but pretty useful.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”