Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

OneStressedPuppy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby OneStressedPuppy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Okay, people, I need your help. I know that a lot of people think that studying for the LSAT is going to kill them, but I have a slightly different take on that problem. See, way back when I was in high school, I was a smoker. (I know, but when I was 14 I really did think it was cool.) Quit when I got to college - no problem really, new place, new people, I was stressed but by college I realized that to most of the world, only the bad, stupid people smoke. I did not want to be thought of as one of those people. I even got over smoking so much that the smell of stale cigarette smoke makes me a little nauseous.

But now I am noticing smokers everywhere and I really want to light up. I have not felt this way in years and I do not want to be one of those people that most educated, intelligent people look down upon, huddled in a doorframe in the snow, bent over my drug of choice. AND I cannot imagine trying to take the LSAT for real while craving a smoke. I am just starting to make progress but it will all be for nothing if I cannot concentrate on the actual test day.

So please help me resist!!! If you have specific strategies, that would be excellent, otherwise you could just post pictures of cancer-ridden lungs, or those stories about how no one is hiring smokers -- I just need a boost of willpower here . . . I really, really do not want to be one of those people :(

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Image

--ImageRemoved--

Image

Image

OneStressedPuppy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby OneStressedPuppy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks George :)

This really does help hammer into my brain that only an absolutely idiotic person would start smoking after they had already quit. And I would defy any LSAT LR-question-writer to say that my conclusion is flawed.

Anyone else?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby dowu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Don't be an idiot.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby hephaestus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 am

Learn to cope with stress because the LSAT is only the beginning. Law school/practicing is one stress test after another. Don't use Cigarettes as your crutch.

OneStressedPuppy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby OneStressedPuppy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 am

dowu - I know!! It's 20 degrees here or I might already have caved. In the summer, you can hang outside and hope no one notices - in November, the only reason to be standing outside in the freezing cold is because you are a f******-idiot addict.

INS - I know! It only gets worse. (Cite that book One L.) I do wish I had better coping skills. Nothing in college was as challenging as this LSAT stuff, so I sort of coasted. Maybe paying for that now.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby Yazzzay » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 pm


mojangles
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby mojangles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:41 pm

As a smoker who has quit at least 800 times in the past (sometimes for as long as a year), don't light up again. One time, you will light up, and it will be ridiculously hard to quit for good. Even when you think you've made it, sometime will get you to spark that one, and once you do you're right back in the game.

Also, as a smoker, the "smoking helps with stress" is the biggest flame ever. Its an excuse smokers use to justify smoking. I have never felt more calm or relaxed or chill after a cigarette. Mostly I feel gross and like I need a piece of gum.

All you get out of smoking is a lighter wallet, feeling like your lungs are on fire when you wake up in the morning, getting winded if you go up the stairs too often, and the joy of walking around smelling like smoke. Oh, and cancer. Don't forget the cancer.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm

IIRC, John Daly, the golfer, was told to pickup smoking to loose weight, so he did. When he was tired of smoking, he ate a pack of peanut M & M's every time he had a craving.
Solution: Buy peanut M & M's :lol:

In all seriousness, I know staying the course is tough. But the post above is right on the money! Gotta be strong every day!

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby xylocarp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:11 pm

I once watched some documentary in which some company just straight up fired all of their employees who smoked. Not even at the workplace, just at all.

Some random links

Smokers Need Not Apply Here
More employers demand applicants quit smoking
Michigan company fires workers for smoking at home
Trend: You smoke? You're fired!
Smoker who lost job loses in court

The legal market is already shit; why decrease your chances even more? Also, some people won't date smokers because they hate the taste (or for other reasons I guess) — what if you meet your dream (wo)man and (s)he turns you down when if you hadn't smoked, you would have gotten married and been ridiculously happy and had awesome sex for the rest of your life? Also, quitting sucks and is super hard. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to do it again.

Fifth_Business
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby Fifth_Business » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:28 pm

If you're craving the smoke, consider getting a vapour/e-cigarette. You can get them with or without nicotine (glycerine?). This is probably your best option. It's better to give in a little bit, than stress about it before the LSAT.

In the off chance you're craving nicotine, get some nicotine gum. Thrive tastes much better than Nicorette. With either product, follow the instructions carefully. If you chew it like normal gum you will become seriously addicted. Regular gum just doesn't have that bite!

Good luck!

AliceAgain
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Fifth_Business wrote:If you're craving the smoke, consider getting a vapour/e-cigarette. You can get them with or without nicotine (glycerine?). This is probably your best option. It's better to give in a little bit, than stress about it before the LSAT.

In the off chance you're craving nicotine, get some nicotine gum. Thrive tastes much better than Nicorette. With either product, follow the instructions carefully. If you chew it like normal gum you will become seriously addicted. Regular gum just doesn't have that bite!

Good luck!


I will have more to say about this topic, but for now, the important comment I have is, this is seriously horrendous advice. Give in a little bit? No such thing, in my experience. Any illusion that you, and not the drug, are in control is just that - an illusion.

You CANNOT deal with stress by using drugs - it just makes you a stressed-out drug addict. Then you have two problems - the original stress plus your drug addiction. Much better to just deal with the stress directly. Exercise, meditate, write in a journal, see a therapist, plant a garden - anything but take a drug to reduce your stress.
Last edited by AliceAgain on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wrong Marx
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby Wrong Marx » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:14 pm

If you think taking the LSAT will be difficult with a craving for cigarettes, just try to imagine how difficult the rest of your life will be if you have to breathe through a hole in your neck.

http://youtu.be/PzwnO6o-V6w

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:19 pm

mojangles wrote:Also, as a smoker, the "smoking helps with stress" is the biggest flame ever. Its an excuse smokers use to justify smoking. I have never felt more calm or relaxed or chill after a cigarette.



maybe that's your experience, but it's definitely not a flame.

AliceAgain
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:22 pm


AliceAgain
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:38 pm

xylocarp wrote:The legal market is already shit; why decrease your chances even more? Also, some people won't date smokers because they hate the taste (or for other reasons I guess) — what if you meet your dream (wo)man and (s)he turns you down when if you hadn't smoked, you would have gotten married and been ridiculously happy and had awesome sex for the rest of your life? Also, quitting sucks and is super hard. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to do it again.


There is a lot of value in this statement. Of course, a lot of professions are facing job market troubles, but to be a lawyer who smokes is asking to be treated as an outcast. For one thing, lawyers are very status-conscious. And smoking is widely known to be correlated with a low SES. So law firms especially are likely to look at job applicants who smoke as undesirable - they might have the right educational pedigree, but smoking says they are "low class."

From the CDC:
"Tobacco use is strongly associated with low socio-economic status (SES)."
"The prevalence of current smoking is greatest among adults with working-class jobs, low educational level, and low income."

More at
http://www.healthwellnc.com/TUPCHERITAG ... 0Sheet.pdf

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:01 pm

yeah, but smoking is definitely cool if you're doing it right regardless of ses.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:02 pm

and girls who smoke are the hottest

AliceAgain
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 pm

mephistopheles wrote:and girls who smoke are the hottest


Don't think so. According to this fantastic website - http://tobaccobody.fi/n_en.php - "out of the 100 most popular profile pictures in a dating service only two were pictures of smokers." The website compares the body of a smoker with the body of a non-smokers, and discusses effects beyond the commonly-known ones.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15409
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby sublime » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:30 pm

..

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15409
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby sublime » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:33 pm

..

User avatar
Ave
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby Ave » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 pm

mephistopheles wrote:yeah, but smoking is definitely cool if you're doing it right regardless of ses.

yeah and this is weird but I find that hint of cigarette smoke smell clinging onto a person's clothes a slight turn on (on a right person).

OP: just don't think about it - the more you think about it, the more you will crave it.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby xylocarp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:41 pm

sublime wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
The legal market is already shit; why decrease your chances even more? Also, some people won't date smokers because they hate the taste (or for other reasons I guess) — what if you meet your dream (wo)man and (s)he turns you down when if you hadn't smoked, you would have gotten married and been ridiculously happy and had awesome sex for the rest of your life? Also, quitting sucks and is super hard. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to do it again.


As a counterpoint - I have met several women/friends out smoking. The ostracized have to stick together, right?

thread is OP asking for help with not smoking tho

AliceAgain
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby AliceAgain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:43 pm

xylocarp wrote:
sublime wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
The legal market is already shit; why decrease your chances even more? Also, some people won't date smokers because they hate the taste (or for other reasons I guess) — what if you meet your dream (wo)man and (s)he turns you down when if you hadn't smoked, you would have gotten married and been ridiculously happy and had awesome sex for the rest of your life? Also, quitting sucks and is super hard. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to do it again.


As a counterpoint - I have met several women/friends out smoking. The ostracized have to stick together, right?

thread is OP asking for help with not smoking tho


And how much help were (or would be) those women/friends in helping you find a job? Guessing they aren't the partners . . .

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Ex-smokers (or anyone, for that matter) please help!

Postby xylocarp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 pm

AliceAgain wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
sublime wrote:
xylocarp wrote:
The legal market is already shit; why decrease your chances even more? Also, some people won't date smokers because they hate the taste (or for other reasons I guess) — what if you meet your dream (wo)man and (s)he turns you down when if you hadn't smoked, you would have gotten married and been ridiculously happy and had awesome sex for the rest of your life? Also, quitting sucks and is super hard. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to do it again.


As a counterpoint - I have met several women/friends out smoking. The ostracized have to stick together, right?

thread is OP asking for help with not smoking tho


And how much help were (or would be) those women/friends in helping you find a job? Guessing they aren't the partners . . .

The relationship/dating point was meant to be separate from the employment point.
ETA: just realized you were on my side haha




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: govlife, Greenteachurro, Instrumental, lagavulinjoe, latetothis, Smortensen, Theory1195, Yahoo [Bot] and 22 guests