Study Materials on a Budget

TLS2011

Study Materials on a Budget

Postby TLS2011 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

I've been reading the forums for quite some time. I plan on taking the LSAT either Feb or June of next 14'. I've read several of the studying plans and habits and I have a pretty good knowledge of what is recommended by some of the top scorers. I decided now was the best time to ask the following question:

Based on a budget of $200.00, what materials should I try to get?

I could get the three powerscore books, but then I wouldn't have enough money to collect all of the previous LSAT tests. Should I get the PTs first (the cheapest way I can) and then based on what's left, get the books on the area I need the most help in? Focus on Logic Reasoning more than the others?

I know this is not ideal, and I would like to do well in all areas. If any of you have a plan or did it on this budget without neglecting a specific area then I would like to hear your advice! Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

DoveBodyWash

Re: Study Materials on a Budget

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:39 pm

if you're on a budget i'd recommend getting ManhattanLSAT books instead of powerscore then spending leftover money on practice tests. I think the powerscore books were more expensive if i remember correctly

lsat_hopeful

Postby lsat_hopeful » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Whatever books you decide to use, checkout the craigslist posts in your area first. You may luck out and find someone who is selling their old books (including the "10 actual.." books that contain real LSATs) for a really low price.

And based on what I've read, PS is best for LG, while Manhattan is superior in LR. (Not sure what's best for RC though).

Good luck!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:44 pm

lsat_hopeful wrote:And based on what I've read, PS is best for LG, while Manhattan is superior in LR. (Not sure what's best for RC though).

I agree with this. Also if you have friends who took the LSAT before you might ask them to send you their exams since everyone gets a copy of the exam they took when they get their scores back, might be a way to save some dough

mellow

Postby mellow » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Also, buy PTs as files from Cambridge LSAT or LSAT Blog (I think?) and not as physical copies. That way you can reprint as many times as you want for redoing games, sections, or even full PTs.

This may seem obvious but I didn't know electronic versions existed until I already paid for physical ones.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Check your local library for prep materials.
Also the newest "10 PTs" book has relevant tests for cheaper.

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 pm

As far as bang for your buck, I think the LSAT Trainer, which covers LR, LG, and RC, seems like a good way to go. The trainer costs $55 and then the book of 10 LSATs that is supposed to accompany it was $25 when I got it at Barnes and Noble. I just ordered the trainer 2 days ago so I'm not a great source of information on it but I've heard great things. There are 8 free chapters from it on the website if you’re hesitant too. After going through that you'd still have $120 to work with, which you could spend on cambridge drilling bundles, PTs, or a prep book on a specific section (I'd recommend manhattan LR and powerscore LGB) depending on what you need to work on.

As far as free resources I'd check out the 7sage LG solutions on youtube and the manhattan forums for explanations of LR and RC questions.

p_monayy

Postby p_monayy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:31 pm

The Trainer is worth the money and it covers all three areas in one book. I say that, the PTs and Powerscore LG Bible are musts for a study plan.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:42 pm

When I practiced for the LSAT, I found all the books a total waste of time, and only got better by taking tests. So it sort of depends where you are and how you feel about the test. If you don't "get" the test, you probably want a book. If none of the sections really stumps you and you just need to work on moving through questions quickly and accurately, you want to get as many past exams as you possibly can. They are the only way to get a feel for how questions are asked and what answers they are looking for. Particularly with games, after enough prep tests your brain just sort of clicks and it becomes easy to intuit the sort of the deductions you're supposed to make.

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Stinson wrote:When I practiced for the LSAT, I found all the books a total waste of time, and only got better by taking tests. So it sort of depends where you are and how you feel about the test. If you don't "get" the test, you probably want a book. If none of the sections really stumps you and you just need to work on moving through questions quickly and accurately, you want to get as many past exams as you possibly can. They are the only way to get a feel for how questions are asked and what answers they are looking for. Particularly with games, after enough prep tests your brain just sort of clicks and it becomes easy to intuit the sort of the deductions you're supposed to make.

this is true. I'd take the free LSAT that LSAC has on their website and use that as a diagnostic before buying anything.

meegee

Postby meegee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Try to buy used Manhattan books or Powerscore books. I'm leaning toward Manhattan, but the Powerscore books were extremely helpful as well.

Get the bundle test booklets. They're going to be older tests, but they are just as valid. Get the free LSAC one that they release. If you're really operating on a budget, get the free India LSAT tests. They're slightly different, and at first glance, also seem to be easier, but they are still official LSAC tests. When I was studying for the Oct LSAT, someone stumbled upon a free LSAC test released by Kaplan (I assume on accident). It was like PT67 or something. Chances are, the link is dead and they've corrected their mistake. But it never hurts to try a quick search.

Whatever happens, DO NOT use fake games, fake questions, Kaplan, Barron, Princeton, etc. They make be free or cheaper, but it's not worth it. Aside from practice questions in the books (which aren't designed to simulate real questions, but designed to get you using their system/method), do not sure any fake questions.

Good luck. Also look into saving some money to buy an animal sacrifice.

TLS2011

Postby TLS2011 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Thank you all for the helpful information!

Manhattan and Powerscore seem to be the two books of choice. I am sure there are different benefits to both, so now it's up to me! Thanks again for all of the help.

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:40 pm

I have the LSAT Trainer, Manhattan LR and LG, the Super Prep and PTs 1-57.

PM me if you'd be looking to grab some of it.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am

Find a way to add $50 or $100 to your budget, then buy whatever you're missing from the excellent replies above.

If you get two points higher on the LSAT from one of the extra books, that could be worth tens of thousands of dollars directly in a scholarship, or increase your lifetime earnings by much more.

Seriously. This $100 is not like any other $100 you spend. It's potentially the best investment you will ever make in your life. I don't know your circumstances, but there must be some way to pick up that much: extra shifts at work, odd jobs on craigslist, asking friends if they have any odd jobs they need taken care of.

Edit: Also, craigslist usually has LSAT preptests/guides for cheap, but make sure they're not too marked up. PDF versions of preptests are a good option, because you can reprint LG. But you'd need access to affordable printing.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 am

OP, I have Manhattan LR and RC, Logic Games Bible, the Kaplan Mastery book which is just real LSAT Qs from PTs 1-38 (I think) organized by type, and the LSAT Super Prep. These are all used heavily and thus have most of the drill questions answered and because of that I haven't been wanting to resell them and really I have been wondering what to do with them (I was considering burning them in glorious fashion). But if you are interested in taking any of them from me all I would ask is that you pay shipping them.

Just shoot me a PM or something if interested. If you (understandably) don't want books that have the questions already worked out that's all good but I figure somebody else could probably get some good use from these instead of me burning them.

Also I have heard that there are some torrents out there with LSAT stuff. I don't know how people on here will feel about that but I personally bought all my stuff so I figure I can mention it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”