Studying for Feb LSAT, So many study guides to choose from!

drgeraldyaya

Studying for Feb LSAT, So many study guides to choose from!

Postby drgeraldyaya » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am

Registered for Feb LSAT. Got a 153 on the June 07 diagnostic cold (-13LG, -11LR1, -6LR2, -5RC). Trying to claw my way up to 170. Will take June too if things don't go well (Yay, fee waiver!)

I tried an aborted attempt at LSAT studying last year and purchased study guides, but work got in the way. I have purchase more books and I wanted to ask what would be the best combo of books.

Right now I have:

LSAT Trainer
Manhattan Guides (LR, LG, RC)
PS LG Bible (From previous attempt, so it's not the newest version)
23+ practice tests

I'm thinking of sticking with Trainer+Manhattan since they seem to complement each other better, but I'm open to using PS if they have better methods or if the newer version is vastly better than the last. Thanks!
Last edited by drgeraldyaya on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackbirdfly

Re: Studying for Feb LSAT, So many study guides to choose from!

Postby blackbirdfly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 am

Last edited by blackbirdfly on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meegee

Postby meegee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Def use at least two sources. That way you can compare their methods and see which ones suit you the best. Get the Cambridge drilling packets, or opt to get more PTs. The Cambridge drilling packets just make things easier by categorizing the types and difficulty.

I read the Manhattan RC once, and then never touched it again. Mainly because I didn't find it helpful for me. For the rest, I read them cover-to-cover, and then went back and re-read parts that needed more work.

For RC, start looking up RC guides posted on TLS and Steve's LSAT blog. Read them all. Try them out. And then figure out a system that works best for you. When you first start RC, it's really going to be like batting in the dark. But after you've read numerous RC guides, and tried them out, you'll get a feel of what works best for you. Make an attack plan. Continue to tweak it as you go.

ETA: 7sage. Use 7sage. They are awesome.

Postby 10052014 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 am

meegee wrote:Def use at least two sources. That way you can compare their methods and see which ones suit you the best.

This is one of the best pieces of advice that is sometimes overlooked on here. While the overall approach to much of the test will be very similar no matter what the source, the chances of one company/guide having all the ways that work best for you are low. Adding a different source (buying Manhattan's LR in my case) was a tremendous help for me because it allowed me to pick and choose which things clicked better in my mind.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 pm

All you really need is the Trainer (along with Manhattan's LR if you want a more broken down approach to supplement Trainer), Manhattan's LG, and 7sage's LG explanations. In fact, I think for LG you might not even need formal instruction. Just do some LG sections and review the mistakes using 7sage explanations and you'll just automatically get better at it. Plus, the inference/conditional logic you'll learn for LR will also, obviously, apply to LG. 23 PTs is more than enough. You should drill too so maybe getting a Cambridge bundle for a few dollars would be a wise investment.

Edit: I should add, make sure to drill throughout studying the guides and PTing. Make sure that you are consistently drilling. This is super important for making progress.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”