Getting faster at LR. Tips? Tricks?

MiracleNeeded

Getting faster at LR. Tips? Tricks?

Postby MiracleNeeded » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:53 pm

I know I can get into the low 170s if and only if (tee hee) I can finish my LR. I was in the mid 160s with crap games and so so finished LR. I've gotten better at games though no where near perfect, and my LR has taken a downturn. I'm unable to finish these days so close to my dec 7 test date. I recently did 20 and 22 out of 26 respectively on LSAT 62. Of the 20 I got 3 wrong, the other I got 4 wrong. Reviewing the test I went over my 6 missed questions in the first section and got 5 correct. The incorrect ones I went over and saw where I went wrong. In one I crossed out the right answer.

The other section I got all but 2 of my previous my wrong answers right and all missed ones right.

I gave myself an adjusted score of 24 in each section. I got a 156 on that PT after coming off of a long PT break. With improved LR plus guessing I see myself getting lucky on picking D on questions I skip in all sections and getting 20% right I ran some numbers and see myself in the 168-172 range. Getting close to perfect on LR is key. I need to get faster again.

10 questions in 10 minutes is something I hear a lot. I may try to speed up the first 10 from now on. If there is a tough questions thrown into the first 10 like in the second section of the above lsat, then I may well get it wrong anyone. I found that a few late questions were super easy for me.

kobe1020

Re: Getting faster at LR. Tips? Tricks?

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:19 pm

how do you adjust numbers to get you from 156 to 168-172? that is a 20 pts jump.. it's like you are given a whole new LR section..hmm..

i think
1. read the question before stimulus
2. do first 15 and then 20-25 then 16-19. 16-19 has some of the hardest questions.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Sounds like you haven't really put in enough time. Speed comes after countless hours of drilling/practice and recognition. Granted, some people come out the gate fast, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Why stop there, I think you can get a 190.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:29 am

Let me clarify, because of course people are going to be TLSers and be douchey.

When I say I adjusted the score I mean I went back to the LR section, took the wrong answers and redid them under timed conditions. I gave myself a minute per question. I got 24 out of 26 on both. I also marked D on guessed questions in RC and games.

156 to 168 is a 12 point jump, and 156 to 172 is a 16 point jump. Not out of the realm of possibility and certainly not 20 points.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:Let me clarify, because of course people are going to be TLSers and be douchey.

When I say I adjusted the score I mean I went back to the LR section, took the wrong answers and redid them under timed conditions. I gave myself a minute per question. I got 24 out of 26 on both. I also marked D on guessed questions in RC and games.

156 to 168 is a 12 point jump, and 156 to 172 is a 16 point jump. Not out of the realm of possibility and certainly not 20 points.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it's difficult to replicate an adjusted score. There's no secret trick to getting faster besides practice. I was slow at LR at first and it used to take me 15 minutes to do the first 10 questions. It took me a good month of studying to get the first 10 questions done in 10 minutes or slightly under.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:49 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:Let me clarify, because of course people are going to be TLSers and be douchey.

It's pretty rich to ask for help and then call the posters "douchey."

Your "adjustment" seems unpredictive to me. Plus, it gets harder to improve your score the higher you are on the scale. I don't think you're anywhere close to scoring 170, but that's probably just me being a douchey TLSer.

neprep

Postby neprep » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:02 am

How can you do just the wrong answers under timed conditions? You can't do anything timed unless you take an entire LSAC-assembled section and do it in 35 or fewer minutes. One minute per question is I suppose on okay estimate, but it really depends on where you are in the section. Also remember you gave yourself a minute after already having seen the question once, and all of the ACs, so your results are skewed by that and by the fact that you know your first answer was wrong. This adjustment is just not a realistic estimate of your ability on a completely fresh question with test-day pressures.

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 am

I'm not sure there are really any "tricks" to getting faster in LR in such a short window of time. In my small (compared to many TLSers) experience with the LSAT, it doesn't seem like it's a test you can game. Most people here would say to drill, drill, drill, and I would agree with them. You start to recognize patterns in questions and become more comfortable. I took the October LSAT and went -6 and -11 on my LR sections so it was clearly a weakness for me. I am going to retake in February or June so I bought the cambridge bundles and am now drilling LR questions by type. Any questions I get wrong I redo and write out why each AC is incorrect and why the credited response is correct. This approach is time consuming but it's working for me and I'm seeing improvements. Everyone's different so what works best for me might not be best for you but I definitely think drilling's the way to go to improve on LR.

This probably wasn't the response you were hoping for. If you're really serious about scoring in the 170's then maybe postpone. I don't know what your situation is and if you're deadset on applying this cycle but I think it would be to your benefit to put more time into studying and take the LSAT at a later date.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm

To the poster saying that I have some nerve calling people douches while asking for help, let me say that I didn't start with that attitude and the people being douchebags weren't being helpful at all.

As far as drilling I feel I need to do more of that on my off days ( non PT DAYS). I used to finish the section a month or so ago when I was PTing everyday but not so much now, I don't think it will be difficult to get back there if i continue with the PTs and do timed sections on off days along with drills.

When I asked for tricks, I know that velocity has a system where they look at flaw types and once they see a flaw they know what the answer should look like. Also timing structures 10 in 10 which I can do now, but I feel that it's the last 8 questions that really have me beat. I'm on schedule until I hit 18 where I slow down a lot.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Speed really comes down to drilling assumption family questions with no time limit, combined with timed drilling of 1-10 from past PTs. Assumption family questions make up a big portion of each section, and they are very prone to repeated patterns. Exposure to these patterns will help you naturally move quickly through them, which buys you time for the other questions in the section.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:03 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:To the poster saying that I have some nerve calling people douches while asking for help, let me say that I didn't start with that attitude and the people being douchebags weren't being helpful at all.

I would say that you started with some half-baked idea of "adjusting" your PT scores, and then you got pissy when posters were confused or thought it was a silly idea.

MiracleNeeded wrote:When I asked for tricks, I know that velocity has a system where they look at flaw types and once they see a flaw they know what the answer should look like.

Identifying logical fallacies is a crucial LR strategy, though I wouldn't call it a "trick."

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:46 pm

JazzOne wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:To the poster saying that I have some nerve calling people douches while asking for help, let me say that I didn't start with that attitude and the people being douchebags weren't being helpful at all.

I would say that you started with some half-baked idea of "adjusting" your PT scores, and then you got pissy when posters were confused or thought it was a silly idea.

MiracleNeeded wrote:When I asked for tricks, I know that velocity has a system where they look at flaw types and once they see a flaw they know what the answer should look like.

Identifying logical fallacies is a crucial LR strategy, though I wouldn't call it a "trick."

Simply asking me what I meant or disagreeing would have been fine. Being an ass and saying "why not shoot for 190" is a douche thing to say and not constructive.

Wrong Marx

Postby Wrong Marx » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:01 am

I personally don't think that first 10 in 10 minutes is sufficient for a score above 170 , at least not in my experience. My goal has been to complete the first 15 questions in 15 minutes. This has been difficult, and although I am not yet consistent, I can definitely see substantial progress. When I do hit this goal, I always finish the section with a few minutes to spare and get -0 or -1. However, when I don't meet my goal on the first 15, I run out of time, and that brings my score down to -2 or -3 on the section.

The times when I hit my goal, I recognize that I was able to do so due to precise, decisive eliminations that appeared obvious. When I don't hit my goal, I find that I am internally explaining to myself why each answer is wrong. Maybe I momentarily forget that I am timing myself and switch into review mode or something.

However, I am always able to finish the first 15 questions in about 19 minutes. Do you think I should drill the last 10 questions? Maybe these are taking too long?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:31 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Simply asking me what I meant or disagreeing would have been fine. Being an ass and saying "why not shoot for 190" is a douche thing to say and not constructive.

ok, simmer down tiger, you're attacking the wrong user and ignoring accurate direct answers to your questions as well as problems of reliability with your LSAT dream machine score calculator you are trying to use to predict your likely December LSAT score. People told you that is not a valid method and that trying to game your way into an artificial score boost doesn't work with the LSAT, there are no such 'tricks' or 'tips' of that nature anyone can give. Just because you don't like the honest answers and warranted sarcasm about your score 'adjustment' idea to go from 156 up to maybe 168 on the December test in two weeks due to statistics and guessing, don't go lashing out at people for giving you honest feedback. It's an obviously laughable proposition so don't get all offended when people poke a little mild fun at your ridiculous dream machine idea, it was barely even mild snark and you're treating it like fighting words, cool down.

There is no way to game the LSAT and strategically guess your way into a significantly higher score than you are capable of unless your baseline is below 125. It's a silly prospect since if there was a way, people would have figured it out and word would travel fast. A way to improve your score that involves counting on points from blind guesses is for people that cannot finish sections and have low accuracy due to rushing on questions such that doing less problems with more time to do them properly improves accuracy significantly to counter balance questions have to blind guess on. This is generally a very desperate strategy for people trying to inch up in the 130s-140s that is basically, take your time to make sure you get all the easy/medium difficulty question from #1-~14-15 correct and just blind guess on the rest.

To improve your LR score significantly you have to get much better at solving the questions and get faster. Those LR sections you adjusted were actually a total of -17. Getting that down to -2 per section for your projected 24 correct mainly involves seriously improving your fundamental LR skills, not just getting faster. There is no quick tip or trick to dramatically improve your LR skills, it requires a lot of time, practice and review and no guessing.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Wrong Marx wrote:I personally don't think that first 10 in 10 minutes is sufficient for a score above 170 , at least not in my experience. My goal has been to complete the first 15 questions in 15 minutes. This has been difficult, and although I am not yet consistent, I can definitely see substantial progress. When I do hit this goal, I always finish the section with a few minutes to spare and get -0 or -1. However, when I don't meet my goal on the first 15, I run out of time, and that brings my score down to -2 or -3 on the section.

The times when I hit my goal, I recognize that I was able to do so due to precise, decisive eliminations that appeared obvious. When I don't hit my goal, I find that I am internally explaining to myself why each answer is wrong. Maybe I momentarily forget that I am timing myself and switch into review mode or something.

However, I am always able to finish the first 15 questions in about 19 minutes. Do you think I should drill the last 10 questions? Maybe these are taking too long?

Excellent advice there. I did a PT yesterday and did the first 10 in 11 minutes forcing myself to push through. I finished with a minus 2. Thy next section I lingered too long on a few questions obsessing about two questions I ended up getting right but I got to 9 in 13 minutes and the test starting slipping away I got a minus 5 out of that 3 were missed questions. It makes a huge difference for me. I find that normally When I get a low score like a 17 it is because I missed a good portion of questions not because I got many questions wrong. Even the questions I do get wrong are usually due to feeling rushed with the five minute warning, I'm going to keep the 15 in 15 in mind for the future. Having 20 minutes banked for the last and hardest 10 or so questions would be amazing.

For the record to the TLSDs out there, I was PTing in the mid 160s a month and a half ago before taking a break so my 168-172 score took that into account.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:21 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:
Wrong Marx wrote:I personally don't think that first 10 in 10 minutes is sufficient for a score above 170 , at least not in my experience. My goal has been to complete the first 15 questions in 15 minutes. This has been difficult, and although I am not yet consistent, I can definitely see substantial progress. When I do hit this goal, I always finish the section with a few minutes to spare and get -0 or -1. However, when I don't meet my goal on the first 15, I run out of time, and that brings my score down to -2 or -3 on the section.

Excellent advice there. I did a PT yesterday and did the first 10 in 11 minutes forcing myself to push through. I finished with a minus 2. Thy next section I lingered too long on a few questions obsessing about two questions I ended up getting right but I got to 9 in 13 minutes and the test starting slipping away I got a minus 5 out of that 3 were missed questions. It makes a huge difference for me. I find that normally When I get a low score like a 17 it is because I missed a good portion of questions not because I got many questions wrong. Even the questions I do get wrong are usually due to feeling rushed with the five minute warning, I'm going to keep the 15 in 15 in mind for the future. Having 20 minutes banked for the last and hardest 10 or so questions would be amazing.

For the record to the TLSDs out there, I was PTing in the mid 160s a month and a half ago before taking a break so my 168-172 score took that into account.

The mid 160s and 168-172... the gap is pretty big. It's difficult to break from 165 to that upper range. You taking that into account and saying so basically I have a 168 is just not true. People struggle for months just to get those curve breaker points, and a lot of times it's by pure luck. Don't kid yourself with inflated scores. It gives you a false since of your range which is likely at this point, 160-165

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 pm

toshiroh wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

The mid 160s and 168-172... the gap is pretty big. It's difficult to break from 165 to that upper range. You taking that into account and saying so basically I have a 168 is just not true. People struggle for months just to get those curve breaker points, and a lot of times it's by pure luck. Don't kid yourself with inflated scores. It gives you a false since of your range which is likely at this point, 160-165

I wasn't inflating my score, nor was I looking to transform my 156 into a 168. I kept my score as a 156 I was saying that had I had enough time to finish my score could well have been a 24 on each section. I understand that that wouldn't fly on test day. I in no way felt that my 156 should have been a 168 only that it could have been with a number of factors. Those factors being higher scores on LR which I know I'm capable of, plus guessing D on questions I left empty as I don't guess during PT. that test's adjusted score was only to gauge what I am capable of.

neprep

Postby neprep » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:I wasn't inflating my score, nor was I looking to transform my 156 into a 168. I kept my score as a 156 I was saying that had I had enough time to finish my score could well have been a 24 on each section. I understand that that wouldn't fly on test day. I in no way felt that my 156 should have been a 168 only that it could have been with a number of factors. Those factors being higher scores on LR which I know I'm capable of, plus guessing D on questions I left empty as I don't guess during PT. that test's adjusted score was only to gauge what I am capable of.

Right, but what everyone is trying to say is that you cannot estimate what you're "capable of," especially not in the spurious way that you did.

Trying to estimate a person's true potential is what psychometricians get PhDs for and write thousands of papers a year trying to flesh out. The inanity of your saying that you have found a way to adjust an actual score on a PT to reflect your true capability is what is offending the sensibilities of the posters.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Glad to see tls understanding my snark.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:

I wasn't inflating my score, nor was I looking to transform my 156 into a 168. I kept my score as a 156 I was saying that had I had enough time to finish my score could well have been a 24 on each section. I understand that that wouldn't fly on test day. I in no way felt that my 156 should have been a 168 only that it could have been with a number of factors. Those factors being higher scores on LR which I know I'm capable of, plus guessing D on questions I left empty as I don't guess during PT. that test's adjusted score was only to gauge what I am capable of.

One of the big problems with your perspective is that you believe the reason you are missing questions in the later part of LR sections is simply do to time pressure/time management and believe that with a little bit more time per Q/re-balancing your time management that you would get those ones correct. That is a false assumption. You are missing most of those questions because they are higher difficulty level questions above your current ability range.

A common fallacy of test takers in the high 150s/low 160s range is the belief that its only the time pressure and basic careless timing issues that is causing those mistakes. While that does in part account for some of the issues you have with those questions, it is not the primary cause for you getting them incorrect, skill level is the primary reason you are getting most of the harder questions later in the section incorrect! You have to improve your abilities to reliably and consistently get more of the harder questions correct, not just get faster. Until you recognize this you will not improve much and just continue to bang your head against the well in frustration claiming your problem is just timing.

Hard questions are specifically designed to make sure test takers with below ~165 skill level usually get them wrong EVEN IF they have more time to do them!

Please listen to what everyone is telling you and give up your flawed idea that your problem is just timing, you need to improve your LR skills overall in order to secure more of the points from the difficult questions found in #15 to the end of the section, simple as that.

meegee

Postby meegee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 pm

What everyone is saying is correct. Speed comes after adequate drilling. I think there's too much emphasis on speed. Focus on being accurate. Focus on understand why the correct answer is correct, and why the incorrect answers are wrong. Then, eventually, your speed will pick up until it is no longer such an issue. In other words, don't focus on speed at all. It's something to keep in mind, but I wouldn't even do drills for speed until you're at a certain level.

Careless mistakes, questions where you're like "oh man, I totally knew that, but I was rushing through so I misread it!" Don't brush them off as bullshit. Those are genuine mistakes that need correcting. The biggest obstacle in the LSAT is the time constraint. It's designed so that you will make these kind of errors. Make a note of what kind of "careless mistakes" you are making. Devise a plan to correct it. Implement it. Rinse and repeat.

A couple of tips that helped me. Keep in mind that all of these tips also depend on your individual circumstances. After you've become relatively proficient in LR, you'll notice that the first 10 are usually pretty easy. Depending on how confident you feel, you may opt to move one once you've selected the correct answer, instead of eliminating the other four. I know some people who did this. I didn't do this for all of the first ten questions, but there were a couple where I was like "yup, it's def B, now time to move on." For the others, I still did a quick glance/skim before moving on. But nothing like the other LR questions where I would more heavily involve myself in the process of elimination.

The harder questions start to pop up around question 15. I would work my way to 15, skip to the really end, and work back from there. I find that question 25 and 26 were usually easier than the questions lumped between 15 - 20.

You've read a hard LR questions and you're kinda stumped. You've read through the answers, but nothing is really popping up. Read through it again. Still nothing? Mark the question and move on. All questions are created equal. That easy questions that took you 10 seconds? That's 1 point. That hard question that managed to suck away 3 minutes? That's also 1 point.

In regards to careless mistakes. I would lightly and quickly circle the main/key word in the question stem. Words like: weaken, strengthen, most strongly support. This way, when I'm doing the question, I don't accidentally think I'm doing a strengthen question when it's a weaken. Also, it makes it easier when you're going back to review or if you're returning to that hard question you skipped.

After you've gotten a good grasp on the big picture for LR, start seeking the little tactics for specific questions that will help you move through them faster. You'll find a few in the books (Powerscore to be specific). You'll also find them here on TLS and on the Manhattan forums. What seems like a neat little tip to you may be a normal routine for another person. So it's up to you to find these tips. For me, it was matching. The conclusion must match in type and strength. The original conclusion had two conditional statements? Any answer choice without two conditional statements can immediately be eliminated. And you did that by only reading the conclusion of those answer choices. The original conclusion was a "some" conclusion? Any answer choice conclusion that says "most, all, every" can be eliminated. No need to even read the premises.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Get really mad, chug a room temperature coke, and immediately take it out on a section of LR.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Miracleneeded,

In order to convince you that your main problem is not just timing I have an important suggestion so that you can prove it to yourself since you don't want to believe it just from us saying its so. Doing this will also give you a good snapshot of some of your underlying LR weaknesses that need to be addressed so that you know what you need to focus on more to get better with, which is exactly what you need to do to improve.

You can do this a couple different ways.
Do a timed test or even just timed LR sections using the blind review method as described by 7Sage.
http://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-t ... at-part-1/

Follow those instructions to the letter and compare your timed answers to your answers on the same questions when you re-do them untimed without knowing whether you got them right or wrong the first time or knowing which answer is correct. The most important part of this is that you DO NOT check the answer key before you try the questions again, hence BLIND review. You need to circle all the questions you are not 100% certain of your answer when you make your selection while doing the sections timed the first time. The procedure is clearly described in the article. Compare your answers timed vs. untimed on those same questions BEFORE you check the answer key for any of them and then compare your accuracy level in both situations. Especially take note of questions where your untimed re-do answer is incorrect since they really help you flush out your LR reasoning skills issues that need improvement.

Alternatively, just take some LR sections with extra time to determine your accuracy with less time pressure. Give yourself 40 minutes instead of 35 and look at your accuracy. Give yourself 45 minutes per LR section and look at your accuracy under those conditions too.

If doing either of these doesn't convince you that your issue is more than just timing, then there is nothing anyone can say that will. Please try this so you can get past your mistaken belief and into doing the actual work people have recommended to improve your LR skills.

Please do this and report back. Believe it or not, even including the snark, people are actually trying to help you so that you don't go into test day with unrealistic expectations that will lead to serious disappointment when scores are released. We are trying to avoid you ending up in a situation in January where we get to say 'We told you so' while your LS dreams flash before your eyes and vanish into a pool of despair while you stare at a crappy score on your LSAC report schools get to see when you apply.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 am

Jeffort wrote:Miracleneeded,

In order to convince you that your main problem is not just timing I have an important suggestion so that you can prove it to yourself since you don't want to believe it just from us saying its so.

You can do this a couple different ways.
Do a timed test or even just timed LR sections using the blind review method as described by 7Sage.
http://7sage.com/the-blind-review-how-t ... at-part-1/

Follow those instructions to the letter and compare your timed answers to your answers on the same questions when you re-do them untimed without knowing whether you got them right or wrong the first time or knowing which answer is correct. The most important part of this is that you DO NOT check the answer key before you try the questions again, hence BLIND review. You need to circle all the questions you are not 100% certain of your answer when you make your selection while doing the sections timed the first time. The procedure is clearly described in the article. Compare your answers timed vs. untimed on those same questions BEFORE you check the answer key for any of them and then compare your accuracy level in both situations. Especially take note of questions where your untimed re-do answer is incorrect since they really help you flush out your LR reasoning skills issues that need improvement.

Alternatively, just take some LR sections with extra time to determine your accuracy with less time pressure. Give yourself 40 minutes instead of 35 and look at your accuracy. Give yourself 45 minutes per LR section and look at your accuracy under those conditions too.

If doing either of these doesn't convince you that your issue is more than just timing, then there is nothing anyone can say that will. Please try this so you can get past your mistaken belief and into doing the actual work people have recommended to improve your LR skills.

Please do this and report back. Believe it or not, even including the snark, people are actually trying to help you so that you don't go into test day with unrealistic expectations that will lead to serious disappointment when scores are released. We are trying to avoid you ending up in a situation in January where we get to say 'We told you so' while your LS dreams flash before your eyes and vanish into a pool of despair while you stare at a crappy score on your LSAC report schools get to see when you apply.

7Sage stole my idea!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”