Question about one of the LSAT articles

ioannisk

Question about one of the LSAT articles

Postby ioannisk » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:17 am

Hi all, I was reading one of the LSAT articles:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/how-i-sc ... icle1.html

and he gave an example of

"16. The only reason Don’s wife would leave him is if she learned his secret identity, and she will definitely leave him if she learns it. Don values protecting his secret identity above all else, and he would never intentionally reveal it to her. Therefore, his wife will not leave him.

(At this point, perhaps you’re thinking to yourself, “What if she discovers it on her own?” You’re ready to look for that answer among the choices.)

This argument is vulnerable to the criticism that it assumes:
(A) Don will not tell his wife his secret
(B) Don is a good husband and provider
(C) His wife can find his secret on her own
(D) Don will not accidentally reveal his secret
(E) Don will not act in a suspicious manner"

and claims the answer would be c.

Isn't that actually wrong? the argument does NOT assume it, it's vulnerable to the criticism of that, but it DOES NOT assume it.
It assumes that His wife can't find his secret on her own.

Am I right?

neprep

Re: Question about one of the LSAT articles

Postby neprep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:29 am

ioannisk wrote:Hi all, I was reading one of the LSAT articles:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/how-i-sc ... icle1.html

and he gave an example of

"16. The only reason Don’s wife would leave him is if she learned his secret identity, and she will definitely leave him if she learns it. Don values protecting his secret identity above all else, and he would never intentionally reveal it to her. Therefore, his wife will not leave him.

(At this point, perhaps you’re thinking to yourself, “What if she discovers it on her own?” You’re ready to look for that answer among the choices.)

This argument is vulnerable to the criticism that it assumes:
(A) Don will not tell his wife his secret
(B) Don is a good husband and provider
(C) His wife can find his secret on her own
(D) Don will not accidentally reveal his secret
(E) Don will not act in a suspicious manner"

and claims the answer would be c.

Isn't that actually wrong? the argument does NOT assume it, it's vulnerable to the criticism of that, but it DOES NOT assume it.
It assumes that His wife can't find his secret on her own.

Am I right?

Actually, the article says (D) is the right answer, not (C). It mentions (C) only to refute it immediately. The author is trying to show that the question stem is pretty important to keep in mind when prephrasing an answer choice; for instance, (C) would have worked with the assumed prephrase if the question stem was "This argument is vulnerable to the criticism on the grounds that it fails to consider" or something similar.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”