International student looking for advice

CocoSunshine

International student looking for advice

Postby CocoSunshine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:22 am

Hi there,

I am an international student sitting for February’s LSAT. I have just started preparing this week, so I only have 3 months to do it (I can study full time for 2 months). I have done some PTs and found that I am strong at LG, while weak at LR and RC. Any advice from international students would be appreciated. Also, I have 2 specific questions:
1. Almost all RC instruction books in the market seem to be criticized a lot. Which one is better?
2. Is the LSAT trainer suitable for starters? Should I go over PS or Manhattan first before turning to the trainer?

Thank you all very much in advance!

IgosduIkana

Re: International student looking for advice

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:51 am

1. I liked the Manhattan RC Strategy guide. It was the only one I used and I thought it was helpful. Teaches you to read differently. For example when you're reading a book on a beach for leisure and hoping to be entertained, and when you're reading a book to prepare a book report...you're focusing on different elements of the reading. During leisure you may be looking for characters and their emotions and other things that help you immerse yourself in the tale, in the other mode you may be looking for themes, tones, parallels between characters, etc. for your book report. Similarly, the Manhattan book trains you to read for elements important to the test, like viewpoints, opinions, evidence, and other things.

2. I built my foundational understanding of every section with those books. My guess is that there are more people doing that than using LSAT trainer from the get-go.

Good luck.

CocoSunshine

Postby CocoSunshine » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:55 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:1. I liked the Manhattan RC Strategy guide. It was the only one I used and I thought it was helpful. Teaches you to read differently. For example when you're reading a book on a beach for leisure and hoping to be entertained, and when you're reading a book to prepare a book report...you're focusing on different elements of the reading. During leisure you may be looking for characters and their emotions and other things that help you immerse yourself in the tale, in the other mode you may be looking for themes, tones, parallels between characters, etc. for your book report. Similarly, the Manhattan book trains you to read for elements important to the test, like viewpoints, opinions, evidence, and other things.

2. I built my foundational understanding of every section with those books. My guess is that there are more people doing that than using LSAT trainer from the get-go.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response! I will probably go through Manhattan RC only, plus other reading materials like The Economist, National Geographical, etc. Is it a good idea? Also, given my limited time left, which LR and LG should I choose? PS or Manhattan? Thank you again for your helpful advice!

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:13 am

The Economists, Nat Geo, etc are good, but they are not a substitute. You should be reading these while taking a shit. Or commuting to work. Read all the RC guides you can get your hands on. I read the Manhattan RC once, then never touched it again. Simply didn't work for me. Read all the RC guides here on TLS, as well as the ones you find from Steve's LSAT blog. Check out 7sage's RC method. Try them out and see what works for you. Devise your own method.

You will have enough time to go through both, especially seeing how you will have 2 months to study full-time. Use Manhattan and Powerscore so you can compare the methods and find what works best for you. For example, I thought Manhattan's chain thing for LG was too confusing and unnecessary. Powerscore didn't really work for me either. I ended up just doing what 7sage does, which is basically what Steve from the LSAT blog does. The same applies for LR. Go through both. While for LG it's more like "hmm, I like Manhattan's system more, so even though I've tried out Powerscore, I'm going to opt to not use it anymore" in terms of LR, I felt like Manhattan and Powerscore complimented one another.

Most, if not all, the reviews I've seen about the Trainer have been good. You should have no problem using it as a "starter." To give some insight, the author of the Trainer also helped to write the Manhattan books. Timeline wise, Manhattan books came out first, and then the Trainer.

Some general advice. Read the guides posted here. Especially the stickied ones. You should read every single one of those. All of them were extremely helpful.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:45 am

meegee wrote:The Economists, Nat Geo, etc are good, but they are not a substitute. You should be reading these while taking a shit

False. That's what TLS is for. Laptop or smart phone, whichever.

CocoSunshine

Postby CocoSunshine » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:51 am

meegee wrote:The Economists, Nat Geo, etc are good, but they are not a substitute. You should be reading these while taking a shit. Or commuting to work. Read all the RC guides you can get your hands on. I read the Manhattan RC once, then never touched it again. Simply didn't work for me. Read all the RC guides here on TLS, as well as the ones you find from Steve's LSAT blog. Check out 7sage's RC method. Try them out and see what works for you. Devise your own method.

You will have enough time to go through both, especially seeing how you will have 2 months to study full-time. Use Manhattan and Powerscore so you can compare the methods and find what works best for you. For example, I thought Manhattan's chain thing for LG was too confusing and unnecessary. Powerscore didn't really work for me either. I ended up just doing what 7sage does, which is basically what Steve from the LSAT blog does. The same applies for LR. Go through both. While for LG it's more like "hmm, I like Manhattan's system more, so even though I've tried out Powerscore, I'm going to opt to not use it anymore" in terms of LR, I felt like Manhattan and Powerscore complimented one another.

Most, if not all, the reviews I've seen about the Trainer have been good. You should have no problem using it as a "starter." To give some insight, the author of the Trainer also helped to write the Manhattan books. Timeline wise, Manhattan books came out first, and then the Trainer.

Some general advice. Read the guides posted here. Especially the stickied ones. You should read every single one of those. All of them were extremely helpful.

Thank you so much for the great advice! It's true that there is no "best" book for everyone, while there may be a best method for me. I will definitely take your advice and try different materials. Also, I read The Economists & Nat Geo simply because I read too slowly at present. I will focus more on PTs. Thank you again!

meegee

Postby meegee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:49 am

Here's a guide by Graeme about reading faster for RC.

Don't get me wrong, reading speed is important for the RC portion of the LSAT, but I honestly believe that if you've been through a college with courses that required some reading (in the English language), you shouldn't have much trouble with "reading" the RC passages. The biggest time sink are the questions themselves.

You will encounter issues when reading difficult passages, which may require you to reread a sentence or paragraph you just read ("wtf did I just read? I don't remember anything"). But that has less to do with reading speed than reading skills. Once you find a method that works for you, you will be able to nail that down.

I will say though, being able to skim quickly and efficiently was a skill that really helped me for RC. I don't have photographic memory, but I think I'm pretty good at skimming. There will be certain questions that are fairly specific (The author talks about each of the following except?). For these questions, being able to quickly skim through the passage while looking out for keywords helped me to quickly answer those questions (and get them right).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”