depressed about lsat

User avatar
Ahamilton
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

depressed about lsat

Postby Ahamilton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:06 am

I dont think i will ever break 170. can someone give me some advice.

User avatar
CitrusFruit
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 am

what have you been scoring?

User avatar
Ahamilton
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby Ahamilton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 am

CitrusFruit wrote:what have you been scoring?


167-168. can't break the rc barrier and hit -3 on it. go from -5 to -9 which screws up my score.

User avatar
CitrusFruit
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 am

Ahamilton wrote:
CitrusFruit wrote:what have you been scoring?


167-168. can't break the rc barrier and hit -3 on it. go from -5 to -9 which screws up my score.


I struggled with RC at the beginning and it is still my worst section, but focusing on structure instead of the topic helps so much. And I dont know if you have taken the actual LSAT yet (please tell me if you have), but my focus on test day was so much higher than in practice, which helped a lot. On test day I thought it was a breeze.

Try taking timed RC sections-as many as you can--or even just timed passages with only 5-8 QS after and tell yourself to focus like crazy before you start. See if you improve over time.

How are lg and lr for you?

User avatar
Ahamilton
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby Ahamilton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:23 am

CitrusFruit wrote:
Ahamilton wrote:
CitrusFruit wrote:what have you been scoring?


167-168. can't break the rc barrier and hit -3 on it. go from -5 to -9 which screws up my score.


I struggled with RC at the beginning and it is still my worst section, but focusing on structure instead of the topic helps so much. And I dont know if you have taken the actual LSAT yet (please tell me if you have), but my focus on test day was so much higher than in practice, which helped a lot. On test day I thought it was a breeze.

Try taking timed RC sections-as many as you can--or even just timed passages with only 5-8 QS after and tell yourself to focus like crazy before you start. See if you improve over time.

How are lg and lr for you?


i have done 40-70. i hit -0 on lg and -5 to 10 on lr. i'm going over 7sage right now and supplementing it with lsat trainer. my life depends on this test in december so god willing these things help.

User avatar
CitrusFruit
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby CitrusFruit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 am

Ahamilton wrote:
CitrusFruit wrote:
Ahamilton wrote:
CitrusFruit wrote:what have you been scoring?


167-168. can't break the rc barrier and hit -3 on it. go from -5 to -9 which screws up my score.


I struggled with RC at the beginning and it is still my worst section, but focusing on structure instead of the topic helps so much. And I dont know if you have taken the actual LSAT yet (please tell me if you have), but my focus on test day was so much higher than in practice, which helped a lot. On test day I thought it was a breeze.

Try taking timed RC sections-as many as you can--or even just timed passages with only 5-8 QS after and tell yourself to focus like crazy before you start. See if you improve over time.

How are lg and lr for you?


i have done 40-70. i hit -0 on lg and -5 to 10 on lr. i'm going over 7sage right now and supplementing it with lsat trainer. my life depends on this test in december so god willing these things help.


Sounds like you have a good plan then. Glad to hear about lg, that's great. You can definitely improve LR by focusing on question types.

Don't get depressed and no, your life doesn't depend on this. If your town got hit by a meteor tomorrow, who would you run to and what things would you try to save? Those are what your life depends upon. Not your LSAT score. Try to be a happy person and not just a successful one. I need to do that, too.

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby dosto » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:34 am

.
Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ahamilton
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby Ahamilton » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:41 am

thank you guys. it really means alot! i'm going to call my friends tomorrow and try to get something going. i've really become a recluse since i started prepping back in april.

KingofSplitters55
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:10 am

Ahamilton wrote:thank you guys. it really means alot! i'm going to call my friends tomorrow and try to get something going. i've really become a recluse since i started prepping back in april.


Totally empathize. Friday nights LSAT studying instead of hanging out...only a few more.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:42 pm

I like to remind my students of two things. First, the LSAT only measures a narrow type of intelligence. Thus, there are many brilliant people in the world who will never come close to a top score on a standardized exam. Second, brilliant people do not necessarily acquire knowledge at the same pace. I've had many LSAT students over the years, and I'm lucky enough to have had quite a few score 170+. All of my 170+ scorers were extremely intelligent. For some, the gains came early and easily, and they sailed through the course. For others, the gains came slowly and painfully, and some of them had to take my class twice before achieving the desired results.

The LSAT does not define your worth, and even if it does, you can just keep prepping until you're worth enough.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: depressed about lsat

Postby bp shinners » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Ahamilton wrote:[can't break the rc barrier and hit -3 on it. go from -5 to -9 which screws up my score.


Yea, that's a huge issue. You need to change up your approach to RC because it's not working if you're getting 20-33% of the section wrong.

You need to change your approach to the passage and the questions:
1) Focus on the viewpoints and structure. Details can always be found when the question asks about them if you know the structure.
2) Change how you approach the questions. Treat them as LR questions. And always know the viewpoint the question is being asked from - even specific detail questions usually ask about proof for a certain view. Knowing that view will help quickly narrow down answers, as you can eliminate ones that don't help prove the viewpoint's thesis.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests