December? February? Sit out a cycle?

So, here are my options. What are your thoughts?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

December 2013 LSAT & February 2014 LSAT, apply this cycle, done
1
10%
December 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
2
20%
February 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
2
20%
DO NOT apply this cycle, September 2014 LSAT & December 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
5
50%
 
Total votes: 10

hj443
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:44 am

December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby hj443 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi - longtime lurker here.
I took October LSAT and did not get the score I wanted. I wanted 167+ to shoot for Cornell or Georgetown but I got 165 so I haven't submitted any application, yet. I want to get into Cornell/GT but NYU/Comlumbia are my dream schools. I'm also registered for December LSAT, which is coming very quickly. I feel like (big assumption) I can raise my score to 167-169. Like everyone else, I think there still is a room for improvement if I study more and take February LSAT.

I'm a senior in college with no work experience. I'm comparably young so I am thinking about deferring a year before attending law school, and get some real work experiences (internships etc.). If I sit out this cycle, I will probably go right into law school in Fall 2015 since I will be able to get some WE before and after submitting applications.

- 165 LSAT with 3.60 GPA (3.65 if I sit out this cycle)
- Do or die T-14, and prefer NYU/Columbia
- Paying for a sticker isn't a problem

So, here are my options. What are your thoughts?

1. December 2013 LSAT & February 2014 LSAT, apply this cycle, done
2. December 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
3. February 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
4. DO NOT apply this cycle, September 2014 LSAT & December 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done

User avatar
NYC2012
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:10 pm

hj443 wrote:Hi - longtime lurker here.
I took October LSAT and did not get the score I wanted. I wanted 167+ to shoot for Cornell or Georgetown but I got 165 so I haven't submitted any application, yet. I want to get into Cornell/GT but NYU/Comlumbia are my dream schools. I'm also registered for December LSAT, which is coming very quickly. I feel like (big assumption) I can raise my score to 167-169. Like everyone else, I think there still is a room for improvement if I study more and take February LSAT.

I'm a senior in college with no work experience. I'm comparably young so I am thinking about deferring a year before attending law school, and get some real work experiences (internships etc.). If I sit out this cycle, I will probably go right into law school in Fall 2015 since I will be able to get some WE before and after submitting applications.

- 165 LSAT with 3.60 GPA (3.65 if I sit out this cycle)
- Do or die T-14, and prefer NYU/Columbia
- Paying for a sticker isn't a problem

So, here are my options. What are your thoughts?

1. December 2013 LSAT & February 2014 LSAT, apply this cycle, done
2. December 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
3. February 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
4. DO NOT apply this cycle, September 2014 LSAT & December 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done


I have taken three years off (applying this cycle) and might even take another year after this. Having work experience is awesome, I haven't met any law students who wish they had gone straight through. Law school will always be there!

hj443
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:44 am

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby hj443 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:20 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
hj443 wrote:Hi - longtime lurker here.
I took October LSAT and did not get the score I wanted. I wanted 167+ to shoot for Cornell or Georgetown but I got 165 so I haven't submitted any application, yet. I want to get into Cornell/GT but NYU/Comlumbia are my dream schools. I'm also registered for December LSAT, which is coming very quickly. I feel like (big assumption) I can raise my score to 167-169. Like everyone else, I think there still is a room for improvement if I study more and take February LSAT.

I'm a senior in college with no work experience. I'm comparably young so I am thinking about deferring a year before attending law school, and get some real work experiences (internships etc.). If I sit out this cycle, I will probably go right into law school in Fall 2015 since I will be able to get some WE before and after submitting applications.

- 165 LSAT with 3.60 GPA (3.65 if I sit out this cycle)
- Do or die T-14, and prefer NYU/Columbia
- Paying for a sticker isn't a problem

So, here are my options. What are your thoughts?

1. December 2013 LSAT & February 2014 LSAT, apply this cycle, done
2. December 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
3. February 2013 LSAT, apply this cycle, bad results, September 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done
4. DO NOT apply this cycle, September 2014 LSAT & December 2014 LSAT, apply next cycle, done


I have taken three years off (applying this cycle) and might even take another year after this. Having work experience is awesome, I haven't met any law students who wish they had gone straight through. Law school will always be there!



Thanks for your input, NYC2012.

Any more advice? The more opinions the better!

dosto
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 am

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby dosto » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:21 pm

.
Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

hj443
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:44 am

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby hj443 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:16 pm

dosto wrote:I say wait it out; WE, better LSAT score, and application. Also probably a better perspective on law school and your overall plans.

But try to take June 2014 and then October if necessary, as opposed to October and December.



Thanks dosto!

bump! :|

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:24 pm

I would recommend sitting out at least one cycle. NYU/Columbia are absolutely attainable with the right LSAT, and work experience can only help your application.

If you're aiming for 167-169 and admit you'd be selling yourself short, why settle for that score?

(I'm 5+ years out of undergrad.)

hj443
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:44 am

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby hj443 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:57 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I would recommend sitting out at least one cycle. NYU/Columbia are absolutely attainable with the right LSAT, and work experience can only help your application.

If you're aiming for 167-169 and admit you'd be selling yourself short, why settle for that score?

(I'm 5+ years out of undergrad.)



Thank you,

It seems like the consensus is to sit out this cycle, get some work experiences, and raise the score.

IF I decide to apply this year, and take either one of DEC or FEB, which one would be better in terms of how it looks on applications?

BUMP!

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:13 pm

February will be too late to apply, so December.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: December? February? Sit out a cycle?

Postby rebexness » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I would aim for June 14/Oct 14, rather than Oct/Dec.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, dj9i27, Instrumental and 12 guests