Answer sheet sensitivity

Answer sheet sensitivity

Postby uvandy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:18 am

Silly question but how sensitive are the answer sheets? When PTing, I circle the question number of those I'm unsure or skip. Would the machine pick that up? While on the topic, how well do you have to circle or erase answer choices? I feel like I spend too much time circling/erasing just trying to make sure the machine picks it up.

Re: Answer sheet sensitivity

Postby mellow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:53 am

In my experience, answer sheets can be very sensitive. Circle the question on the test instead of the sheet. That way you don't have to worry about erasing anything at the end. The sensitivity of answer sheets also means that you honestly don't have to put in that much effort in bubbling. This is probably outdated, but I actually did research into this when I was in high school and found that as long as 50% of the circle is bubbled (from middle out - you want to get the very center), then the machine will pick it up.

This is all pretty irrelevant though since your answer sheet is disclosed to you with your test score and you can ask LSAC to hand grade yours if you find any discrepancies.

Postby Kimikho » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:13 am

I accidentally left my answers flagged for review circled on the last section and it was fine.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 pm

The ScanTron machines (or whatever they use at LSAC) are pretty sophisticated at this point and do a good job of picking up what you intended to mark as long as it's clear. Circling the number should be fine, as long as you don't stray into a bubble.

And as long as the bubble is (mostly) filled in, you should be good to go. A solid erase with an eraser should be enough to clear it from getting detected.

In short, don't worry too much about this.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”