Brain feels like it's swimming in molasses while taking PTs Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Brain feels like it's swimming in molasses while taking PTs

Post by MiracleNeeded » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 pm

After a break from PTs to bone up on games I have come back to PTs and I feel foggy while taking them. I esp. Feel foggy during LR. I just took one and my first LR was horrible, I scored very low on that section only to score perfect on all questions abswered on the other LR. RC wasn't stellar but I was ok with it, games were better than usual.

Frustrating to say the least. I wish I had not used all those later PTs early on in my prep. Im done with the 52-61 book after just two tests. I used the others up earlier in my prep. I didn't know any better.

Anyway, any tips in overcoming this? Caffeine? Water? Protein? Any tips at all.

Daily_Double

Silver

Re: Brain feels like it's swimming in molasses while taking PTs

Post by Daily_Double » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

fnma2jd

Bronze

Post by fnma2jd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:07 am

Daily_Double wrote:Exercise. Specifically low rep, high weight exercises, assuming you're a guy
I will second this. I started out my prep during a period when I didn't have time for working out. I started lifting again mid way through, specifically timing my workout right before studying or taking a PT.

Definitely feel that the fog has gone away, I'm almost afraid to study without working out first because I feel so foggy and unproductive without it.

JWP1022

Bronze

Post by JWP1022 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Exercise. Specifically low rep, high weight exercises, assuming you're a guy, if not, then high rep, low weight exercises I suppose?
So wrong. This specific advice is based on probably one of the biggest misconceptions re:fitness that exists today. Women gain the same benefits from lifting heavier weights that men do, and burn more fat than they would by doing lower weights/higher rep ranges. Every time I see a trainer giving this advice I want to throw a 45 lb. plate at them.

Broadly though, yeah, excercise. Eat well. If you have an SO/hook up buddy, have sex as regularly as possible (seriously).

Also, just do more timed LR/RC sections.
Last edited by JWP1022 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:18 pm

For my 2nd take I tried exercising and it went alright. I stopped exercising for my 3rd take, eating chinese takeout and pizza almost exclusively. I ended up scoring a good amount higher.

HTH

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:For my 2nd take I tried exercising and it went alright. I stopped exercising for my 3rd take, eating chinese takeout and pizza almost exclusively. I ended up scoring a good amount higher.

HTH
Opposite experience for me! Before June, I stopped exercising and just felt like crap physically. Signed up for a half marathon to take place a week after my Oct. LSAT, so that kept me exercising. I felt so much better physically, and scored 5 points higher on my test.

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 pm

JWP1022 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Exercise. Specifically low rep, high weight exercises, assuming you're a guy, if not, then high rep, low weight exercises I suppose?
So wrong. This specific advice is based on probably one of the biggest misconceptions re:fitness that exists today. Women gain the same benefits from lifting heavier weights that men do, and burn more fat than they would by doing lower weights/higher rep ranges. Every time I see a trainer giving this advice I want to throw a 45 lb. plate at them.

Broadly though, yeah, excercise. Eat well. If you have an SO/hook up buddy, have sex as regularly as possible (seriously).

Also, just do more timed LR/RC sections.
Pretty much this. Don't worry too much about rep ranges/heavy or light weights. Progressive overload is the key to growth regardless of which route you take. But the main point is just to get in there and get your body moving, let it know it still has a purpose, which could improve cognitive abilities. You just have to experiment man and see what works for you.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JWP1022

Bronze

Post by JWP1022 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Literally any kind of exercise would work. I wasn't trying to be harsh with Daily_Double. I've lifted weights for ten years and work part time as a personal trainer, so that post just hit a pet peeve.

The point of exercise in this context is not to optimize gains, but to provide a healthy release from LSAT studying. All of the other stuff is cool too, but getting that stress reliever -- whatever it is -- is an end in and of itself.

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 pm

JWP1022 wrote:Literally any kind of exercise would work. I wasn't trying to be harsh with Daily_Double. I've lifted weights for ten years and work part time as a personal trainer, so that post just hit a pet peeve.

The point of exercise in this context is not to optimize gains, but to provide a healthy release from LSAT studying. All of the other stuff is cool too, but getting that stress reliever -- whatever it is -- is an end in and of itself.

Exactly, which is what I pointed out at the end. "Optimal growth" would be a different topic :lol:

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Does OP even lift?

Exercising is a great idea. I also found that drinking a RedBull before the practice test helped. Didn't do it on test day though. I'm gonna die 20 years sooner, but at least I got a good score

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Not to hijack, but does anyone ITT know whether or why high weight, low repetition activities might be better for cognitive function than aerobic and endurance activities like long distance running?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:47 pm

edwardt1988 wrote:Does OP even lift?

Exercising is a great idea. I also found that drinking a RedBull before the practice test helped. Didn't do it on test day though. I'm gonna die 20 years sooner, but at least I got a good score

I was an amature bodybuilder in my younger days then I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6 years ago and stopped lifting. I have been eating crap lately and found that my biggest gains came when I was intermittent fasting and being more physical. I will try this clean up my diet again.

aesth24

Bronze

Post by aesth24 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Straw_Mandible wrote:Not to hijack, but does anyone ITT know whether or why high weight, low repetition activities might be better for cognitive function than aerobic and endurance activities like long distance running?
Don't know which is "better" or why. The point is to get some form of physical exercise, whether it be weights, cardio or whatever physical activity you prefer.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:22 pm

aesth24 wrote:
Straw_Mandible wrote:Not to hijack, but does anyone ITT know whether or why high weight, low repetition activities might be better for cognitive function than aerobic and endurance activities like long distance running?
Don't know which is "better" or why. The point is to get some form of physical exercise, whether it be weights, cardio or whatever physical activity you prefer.
It seems from this article that ideally one would incorporate both cardio and strength training (and I would add yoga, which has been shown to boost brain function) for optimal brain health since they seem to affect the brain in slightly different ways. But any exercise is going to be better than no exercise.

I will add that I am quite certain I would not have achieved the score I did in October if I hadn't also made notable diet changes over the summer (i.e. lots of vegetables/fruits/nuts/pastured eggs/fish/etc, as much organic as possible, emphasizing superfoods, minimizing processed foods and sugar) and if I hadn't been exercising regularly.

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Split90

New

Post by Split90 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 am

Last edited by Split90 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 am

Wait, how come no one's mentioned Synchro Genesis yet? I thought it was tcr on this forum? :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”