getting lsat trainer and manhattan lr guide just a month

Split90

getting lsat trainer and manhattan lr guide just a month

Postby Split90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:25 pm

shy of a test. recommended?

i finally call it quit to powerscore lr book. im biting my head of for not doing this sooner. ugh. story of my life. i'm getting 165-170 range, and i need some change. my pt score will def have to constantly hit 175 range to safely land in 170-173 area.

so i think i should try somethin new. something that could give me a-ha moment. so debating whether to invest on these two books on lsat fundamentals. do you think it will be worth my time going over them when we only have about 25 days til the day?

thanks guys, also thanks for those who replied to my previous post. thanks!

mellow

Re: getting lsat trainer and manhattan lr guide just a month

Postby mellow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes it'll be worth it. I got the Manhattan LR 1.5 weeks before the October test and that got my PT average to go up from 170ish to 175ish. Can't guarantee it'll be as drastic for you (I poured in hours and hours of study per day, sometimes 10+), but Powerscore LR is no good at all imo.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:Yes it'll be worth it. I got the Manhattan LR 1.5 weeks before the October test and that got my PT average to go up from 170ish to 175ish. Can't guarantee it'll be as drastic for you (I poured in hours and hours of study per day, sometimes 10+), but Powerscore LR is no good at all imo.

Agreed, that Manhattan LR has been instrumental for my improvement in LR.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 pm

yea that powerscore bible is not really worth much for those who need a score boost from 168+. It's good only when one starts looking into lsat for the first time imo.

any thought about the lsat trainer tho?

ordering mlsat lr guide now.

mellow

Postby mellow » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Split90 wrote:yea that powerscore bible is not really worth much for those who need a score boost from 168+. It's good only when one starts looking into lsat for the first time imo.

LSAT Trainer is a good overview/intro, but I personally still prefer the Manhattan LR. But a lot of people seem to like it a lot so it might just be me.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:41 pm

um i see. i dunno if i need another overview book now. guess im just ordering mlsat lr guide and see what happens!

ugh this week i'm just gonna drill drill drill... maybe one pt on wednesday. i feel like drilling the same type of questions over and over is really the only way.

thanks for the input.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm

melodygreenleaf wrote:
Split90 wrote:yea that powerscore bible is not really worth much for those who need a score boost from 168+. It's good only when one starts looking into lsat for the first time imo.

LSAT Trainer is a good overview/intro, but I personally still prefer the Manhattan LR. But a lot of people seem to like it a lot so it might just be me.

Just wanted to chime in -- I think in these matters, student opinion is typically far more useful/important than developer opinion, and it's best for me to stay out of things --

But I designed most of the Manhattan LR book, and wrote more than half of it, and obviously I wrote the trainer. You should be aware of the connection between the two products.

The trainer is not meant to be a more general or introductory book relative to manhattan; in fact, in my opinion, the trainer is, though more succinct, significantly more comprehensive.

Again, I understand that certain people will continue to prefer the Manhattan materials, and for good reason, but I just wanted to clarify that one point --

Take care, and if you have any questions about either of the books, please feel free to get in touch --

Mike

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:59 pm

I'd recommend it. Since I've started the Trainer I've been consistently -0/-1/-2 on LR (compared to -4/-5 two weeks ago). I think the Trainer and Manhattan LR work well together, so I would go with both.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your insight. I checked your website and quickly downloaded and read the sample pdfs, and I liked the materials a lot. My only concern is just that I have only a month before the test.

Is there a recommended way to quickly skim through your book (I know this is not a polite question to ask to a person who actually wrote the book. But please hope you understand.) to maximize the outcome? I want to skim it through first and maybe go back to certain chapters if particular question types start bugging me.

I'm planning to go through your book for this week. Do you think that would be possible? Thinking to put about 5 hrs a day just for your book.

Thank you!

edit: word.
Last edited by Split90 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split90

Postby Split90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 pm

+ is there any recommended approach to go through LSAT Trainer and Mlsat together to really create the best synergy of the two books?

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Split90 wrote:+ is there any recommended approach to go through LSAT Trainer and Mlsat together to really create the best synergy of the two books?

Hi --

I think the danger (and I get the sense you are already thinking about this) with using both the trainer and the mlsat lr book is time -- you've got a limited amount of time and you've got to get stuff done --

Here's a gross oversimplification--for the purposes of planning your prep, I think that on a very basic level it's helpful to think that --
1) the instructions/reading/lessons in the books show you how to be good at solving problems.
2) drill work in the books / drill work on individual q types is where you get good at solving problems.
3) pt's are where you firm up your habits and ensure that your skills translate to test day.

All three components are critical, but you want the first and third to service the second.

I don't suggest you read both books completely, especially with your time crunch -- I think that'll be somewhat inefficient.

Instead, I suggest that you spend a couple of hours getting to know the two books, then select a primary option and a backup option. (Obviously I think the trainer should be your primary option, but I understand why the Manhattan book might appeal more and if you choose that as your primary I won't hold it against you :)). Use that one primary option as your main learning resource, then go to the secondary option when you feel you need a bit more.

For example, if you choose to use Manhattan as your primary, maybe you study necessary assumptions, but don't quite feel you have a grasp on them -- go read about it in the trainer. Or, you feel good at nec. assumption but go into a question drill set and realize you aren't as good as you'd hoped -- go to the other book and see what you can find. And, for the lot of situations, you should also find you just needed one of the resources, rather than the other.

As far as skimming (and you are right - of course I would prefer you not skim, but...) -- I do think the trainer is an extremely skimmable book -- there are no key ideas that are "hidden" in paragraphs -- all key ideas are emphasized with asides, pull quotes, etc., making it very easy to go through a chapter fairly quickly to see what the main points are and what you want to focus on.

Having said that, you'll also see that the trainer is, in large part, a workbook, and it's the drills in it that do end up taking a significant amount of time. The drills (and a few other things) are what make it so that, I believe, the more time you spend w/the trainer, the more you get out of it -- you'll get in better shape going to the gym three days a week instead of one, and you'll get in better LSAT shape by spending more time using the trainer -- same situation. Of course, you are in a time crunch, so you'll want to focus more on the drills that relate to any weaknesses you feel you have.

If you do go with the trainer, do not skimp on the first set of LR lessons in order to rush to the lessons on q types -- that first set of LR lessons (which shouldn't take you very long to get through btw) has key instruction that relates to a variety of q types, and will hopefully make everything that follows markedly easier to master.

Finally, this doesn't relate directly to your question, but I strongly recommend that from the get-go you focus on thinking about a) what's most important to know, as opposed to simply the breadth of stuff you are supposed to know; b) especially during your review, always think about the actual processes you use to solve problems, rather than simply whether you understand a problem or not.

To that end, one specific suggestion I have is to create a single notecard for each LR q type (I mention this advice a lot elsewhere as well). On one side, list the steps you should take to solve that q type. On the other side, list just a few important things to remember about that q type. Create this card after reading/learning about a particular Q type, then look at it before and after you do your drill work. Continually expect to modify it based on what you learn.

I think the notecards are obviously helpful for keeping you on point, and for helping you prioritize. They are also helpful in terms of keeping track of what you learn and how you evolve --

HTH and sorry for the length -- best of luck, and let me know if you have any other q's or follow up -- Mike

Split90

Postby Split90 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Mike!

Thank you very much for your comment! I really appreciate your input and look forward to try your tips (especially the notecard method is going to help me a lot). :) :) :) I needed some change to re-motivate me on the task. And I feel good now. I'm excited to get my hands on your book.

Thanks again!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”