Private Tutoring vs. Prep course

BigCityDreams

Private Tutoring vs. Prep course

Postby BigCityDreams » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Hello everyone! I plan to apply next cycle. I was looking for some advice about getting a private tutor or just taking a traditional in class prep course. If someone can give me their insight from experience…oh and also, i took a diagnostic and receive a 145…what is a reasonable expectation of how much I can improve? Thanks!

flash21

Re: Private Tutoring vs. Prep course

Postby flash21 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:08 pm

personally I enjoyed 7sage, its like 200 bucks and it gives you massive amounts of information. tutors are great too but dont bother if you've only just started studying its a waste of money IMO, you can learn much more just from the books or a course (if its cheap) than a tutor

BigCityDreams

Postby BigCityDreams » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:11 pm

flash21 wrote:personally I enjoyed 7sage, its like 200 bucks and it gives you massive amounts of information. tutors are great too but dont bother if you've only just started studying its a waste of money IMO, you can learn much more just from the books or a course (if its cheap) than a tutor

Thanks! I haven't looked at anything in regards to studying just yet. I think i will just hold off and try some self-studying first

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:35 pm

I think private tutors are better for a little later in the studying process, once you're somewhat familiar with the test and strategies for each seaction. If I were to do it all over again, I'd work through all three Manhattan books, work through the PowerScore LG Bible, start drilling, and then, if I was still having trouble, go to a private tutor for further help. I would not take a course.

If you decide to hire a tutor at some point, I'd encourage you to a) make sure they've scored in in the 99th percentile (173+) and b) get an independent tutor rather than one who works for one of the major companies, because they'll cost less and won't be slaves to the proprietary methods of the company.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:04 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:I think private tutors are better for a little later in the studying process, once you're somewhat familiar with the test and strategies for each seaction. If I were to do it all over again, I'd work through all three Manhattan books, work through the PowerScore LG Bible, start drilling, and then, if I was still having trouble, go to a private tutor for further help. I would not take a course.

If you decide to hire a tutor at some point, I'd encourage you to a) make sure they've scored in in the 99th percentile (173+) and b) get an independent tutor rather than one who works for one of the major companies, because they'll cost less and won't be slaves to the proprietary methods of the company.

I'd second all of this.

I took a course and I wish I had saved that money for a private tutor. Courses are only useful if you're willing to put in maximum effort (completing all of the homework and taking PTs outside of class)

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:24 am

I used a tutor. It helped me with LR I think, though most of big gains honestly came form just drilling and the LSAT trainer. IT was nice to have a tutor to bounce my reasoning off of, but i don't think I'd invest as much in it again if I could do it all over.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm

You can check reviews of the different courses here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151670. On top of that resource, if you decide to go with a class, it's really important to find out who's teaching your course. The instructor is more important than the class you're taking, so talk with the main office and see if you can sit in on/talk with the person who will be running your class. The best curriculum in the world won't help the worst instructor; the best instructor in the world will teach you despite a poor curriculum.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”