What to do when you have taken every test?

ArundelSt

What to do when you have taken every test?

Postby ArundelSt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:29 am

I have taken every practice test (except the first 19) and I am retaking in December. I am sure there is a thread on here on what to do if you are in this situation but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions or a link to any similar posts would be much appreciated. Thanks, just struggling with how to go about things with limited materials.

theramblingfool

Re: What to do when you have taken every test?

Postby theramblingfool » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:30 am

The impression I've gotten from other members is there's actually value in retaking the PTs you've already done. It's important that you reviewed your answers properly (you didn't just check 'right' or 'wrong' but actually made yourself understand the questions you got wrong).

As long as you can reason through and understand WHY an answer is correct, instead of just knowing the answer is correct, you are cementing your understanding.

Just don't expect your scores on PTs you've already taken to be indicative of your performance on the real deal.

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:08 am

Retakes are great. Try to compare what you missed the first time around to what you missed the second time around. Missing the same thing twice could suggest that you have a gap in your understanding that needs to be fixed immediately.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:38 am

ArundelSt wrote:I have taken every practice test (except the first 19) and I am retaking in December. I am sure there is a thread on here on what to do if you are in this situation but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions or a link to any similar posts would be much appreciated. Thanks, just struggling with how to go about things with limited materials.

How did you take the PTs the first time? Under time pressure? Did you just take them score them then go on to the next PT? Did you use some for study and others for full length? Lastly, how quickly did you burn through all these PTs?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I was able to study for my 2nd and 3rd tests almost exclusively with 2nd and 3rd takes of PTs. I would also feel free to take some of the earlier tests for experience with fresh tests, even though some of them are a bit strange. With retakes, don't focus on your scores, just focus on recognizing why you got answers wrong and figuring out how to address your mistakes. Your scores will be a bit inflated, and if you've taken the tests within the past couple months, you might have to account for timing issues.

You can still make plenty of progress though. With my retakes, I was able to still benefit greatly from them and increased my LSAT by 4 points. 3rd takes weren't very helpful for improving, but I was able to maintain my skills and increased by another point for my final take.

dj_roomba

Postby dj_roomba » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Retake them. You should be getting 100% on these now.

It gives you some insight on what your problem REALLY is.
If you're getting the same problem wrong again (hopefully you made a record of what problems you got wrong before), see why. Was it a way you were thinking? Was there a trap that you keep falling into?

I retook tests. My scores went to 178-180 on them. I thought it was artificial but when I took the last 3 unused tests I had, I was able to replicate the same scores.

Save your last unused test (if you have any) for a week before real LSAT. Otherwise, just keep grinding away on old ones

Every_LSAT

Postby Every_LSAT » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:17 pm

ArundelSt wrote:I have taken every practice test (except the first 19) and I am retaking in December. I am sure there is a thread on here on what to do if you are in this situation but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions or a link to any similar posts would be much appreciated. Thanks, just struggling with how to go about things with limited materials.

You could always take the first 19 tests. Even though they're older, they still have a lot of value as far as practicing goes. If you're having trouble finding them, there is info on where to get them in SPAM. Hope this helps!

ArundelSt

Postby ArundelSt » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:37 pm

SecondWind wrote:

How did you take the PTs the first time? Under time pressure? Did you just take them score them then go on to the next PT? Did you use some for study and others for full length? Lastly, how quickly did you burn through all these PTs?

I took them mostly timed. I scored them and reviewed why I got the questions wrong, so I think I may remember a great deal of the questions I missed. I know that replaying games has value, but is re-doing LR or especially RC going to be helpful? Especially the last ten or so tests which I took the 10 days leading up to the LSAT in October, I feel that I may remember a great deal of the questions. It seems doing the first 19 tests, a few of the tests in 30s and 40s and re-doing games might be the best strategy.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:18 am

i retook all of the 60s. I actually probably did each of them (60-69) three times before October, thought half of those were as timed sections. I probably did the games sections even more, maybe closer to five times each. It worked well, but not as well on the LR sections that I did a careful blind review on. but for the other sections/tests it was nice.

i especially used repeat tests to practice for the actual day, like my dry run, etc. that was nice because if it went horribly, i didn't waste a test.

edwardt1988

Postby edwardt1988 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm

theramblingfool wrote:The impression I've gotten from other members is there's actually value in retaking the PTs you've already done. It's important that you reviewed your answers properly (you didn't just check 'right' or 'wrong' but actually made yourself understand the questions you got wrong).

As long as you can reason through and understand WHY an answer is correct, instead of just knowing the answer is correct, you are cementing your understanding.

Just don't expect your scores on PTs you've already taken to be indicative of your performance on the real deal.

This is not that accurate. It depends on the person and how long ago you've taken the test. But I would say that re-taking a test that you took 2+ months ago should give you a decent estimate

There is also a lot of value in taking untimed tests, as long as you try to move through each section at a reasonable pace. Since you took all the tests, you should already have some sort of internal clock that tells you whether or not you're working fast enough. The advantage of not timing is that you can avoid checking the time. Not every question should take you the same amount of time, and doing the test untimed might help you actually develop the skills necessary to answer the harder questions, rather than rushing through them so you can stay within some time parameters. It depends on the person though

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am

Definitely do the first 19. A lot of the LGs were odd in some way or another (as opposed to recent tests, where the games seem like carbon copies of each other) so it forces you to think creatively which is a good thing to practice. You don't want a minor curve ball on the actual LSAT to completely throw you off because you were so used to being on autopilot.

JWP1022

Postby JWP1022 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:50 am

LR on PT70 was much, much, much wordier than LR on PTs in the 50s and 60s. It's definitely worth it to go through at least the LR portions of the first 20 or 30 PTs, because the questions on those tend to be more long-winded.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”