flash21

someone please help pt 45, LR1 , Q 12,

Postby flash21 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:50 am

pt 45, LR1 , Q 12,

i dont get it at all

ScottRiqui

Re: someone please help pt 45, LR1 , Q 12,

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:00 am

So you got C as the correct answer? (The answer about dioxin being washed downstream quickly) I've seen answer keys for pt#45 that have the wrong answers for LR1.

Here's the gist of why C is correct:

The passage says that dioxin probably isn't the chemical that's causing the problem, because dioxin takes a long time to decompose in the environment, but the fishes' hormone levels go back to normal almost immediately whenever the paper mills shut down. Even with the mills shut down, it takes dioxin so long to break down that it should continue to mess with the hormone levels long after the mills are shut down.

BUT, what if it really *is* the dioxin that's causing the problem, and the reason that the fishes' hormone levels go back to normal so quickly when the mills shut down is that all of the dioxin is being rapidly carried downstream, far away from the fish? In that case, it doesn't matter how long it takes dioxin to decompose; it's been washed away and is long gone now, so the fish quickly go back to normal. This is what answer choice 'C' is saying.

flash21

Re: someone please help pt 45, LR1 , Q 12,

Postby flash21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:57 am

wow i think i get it now. thanks for the response - i've been pretty busy with school and didn't get to reply to you. i appreciate it a lot.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”