I know its been asked but I gotta ask. working FT and lsat

A.Taarabt7

I know its been asked but I gotta ask. working FT and lsat

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 pm

I am getting so damn fatigued

my schedule is gym in the morning

work 8-5 get home around 5 30, take the bus at 6 30 to local uni library , study till 11ish then take bus back then bed.

this schedule is killing me and I've been stuck at a 87-90th percentile. When I take the exams and study on weekends I feel pretty good but I am getting so flustered and fatigued trying to do 3 PT with my schedule.

I did schedule one half day a week and the holidays coming up will help but damn i Just feel so overwhlemed. I've been pushing myself since the spring when I decided to apply the next cycle. I made some serious gains from low 150 to where I am at now but I want to keep pushing.

I look at my job and see it as sorta worthless because its not what I am pursuing nor is it at a law firm/paralegal role.

Should I just take two tests a week... pt on the half day then pt on weekend? or should I try to take the 3 PTs a week that you guys recommend so much.

Reason why I am posting this is because I just took my pt ( currently at break) and I am receding. I've already taken 5 days off due to fatigue. I just feel so damn rushed and everything. I am slowly starting to lose hope. Thinking of buying some cigarettes to help me calm down.

retaking23

Re: I know its been asked but I gotta ask. working FT and lsat

Postby retaking23 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 am

Maintaining stress is so important for this test. Some people can thrive when stressed. I am, typically, one of those people. However the LSAT is severely taxing mentally because we have to think for two and half hours during practice. Thinking for that long (and I mean actually thinking and reasoning and navigating tricky and confusing wrong answers, not going on autopilot like you would for a college exam) is very hard to do after a full day's work. We all know where you're coming from. I personally could not sleep the night before my LSAT and wound up scoring 4 points below my average.

I suggest you focus more on reviewing/drilling and less on PTing. Instead of taking days off, do reviews of your wrong answers until you feel up for PTing again. Review your same mistakes over and over again and work through the process of how to arrive at the right answer until it bores you if you must. At this point in the game, you don't want to make things worse by draining yourself out.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:09 am

agreed. I may change it to two pt a week but all advice given on this forum suggest the opposite. THey suggest 3 pts a week and reviewing them. The thing is time is so limited for me I can review the PT but the PT may not be accurate since I take them fatigued from work or take them rushed since I have to catch the last bus which leaves at 11 30 pm

I may take your advice and cut back to two pt. That ok? the advice given on this forum makes me thing otherwise although they may not be in the same situation. BTW I take 5 section PTs

vicpin5190

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:13 am

I've found that trying to do 3 PTs a week is not manageable, let alone during the week. I work 8 to 5, sometimes 6, and don't get home til 6-6:30. Between doing a quick run and eating, i don't usually get to sit down to study til 8ish.

My advice, and it's worked for me, is spend your week days just reviewing and drilling, maybe throw in a few timed sections to stay on the ball with timing and get some practice. And then tackle 2 PTs during the weekend, even 3 if you really want to keep up the 3 PT a week schedule. You give yourself the opportunity to be refreshed with 2 full days just dedicated to studying and relaxing (surprisingly this can be done).

Working full time is extremely draining, and I think adjusting the schedule in such a way that you can still have quality studying time without piling on added fatigue is a must. PTs add fatigue, that's why I think its best to tackle them when you haven't had a full days work already.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:20 am

When are you scheduling for retake?
If you plan to apply next cycle, I would suggest you do drilling first. Don't worry too much about 5 section PTs. Focus on accuracy, and then move to PTs accordingly. Nail every type of questions before you do full time PTs.

Don't put too much stress on yourself. Suppose you take the June test next year you still have plenty of time! Put 3-4 hours everyday.

Best of luck.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:46 am

crazyrobin wrote:When are you scheduling for retake?
If you plan to apply next cycle, I would suggest you do drilling first. Don't worry too much about 5 section PTs. Focus on accuracy, and then move to PTs accordingly. Nail every type of questions before you do full time PTs.

Don't put too much stress on yourself. Suppose you take the June test next year you still have plenty of time! Put 3-4 hours everyday.

Best of luck.

I was speaking in past tense. That was what I already did last cycle. Thats why my score is up now about 10-12 points. Want to keep pushing but this is bogging me down. I will follow the advice u guys gave me thanks

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:55 am

"I began studying in August and took the test in December. I did not work or go to school during this time, and I had to move home with my parents to allow that. For some, that might not be possible, and for many more, it would be undesireable. For the latter among you, I suggest you take the time to assess what is really important: a test that can and will contribute significantly to determining the career opportunities you will have for the rest of your life, or your personal lifestyle for the next few months? If you lean towards the latter, I suggest you re-evaluate your commitment to law school to begin with." --TLS User: Unstoppable

redsox

Postby redsox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:59 am

In the months before my LSAT, I was either working full time (50+ hours/week) or working part time and going to school full time. I'd end up stuck in the office until 8 or 9 a lot of nights. The result was that my "studying" ended up consisting of maybe 10 practice tests and not much else.

I do not recommend this course of action.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:33 am

When I was working FT while going to school FT I didn't take any midday breaks. They wasted time and were unproductive. I feel like your 5-630 time is valuable and your current schedule is wasted. Its hard to allow yourself to transition from work mode to relax mode and then force yourself back into study mode. Just go straight to the library or nearby starbucks, buy yourself some comfort food on the way and start studying immediately. It'll be better if you can study on the bus.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am

jordan15 wrote:When I was working FT while going to school FT I didn't take any midday breaks. They wasted time and were unproductive. I feel like your 5-630 time is valuable and your current schedule is wasted. Its hard to allow yourself to transition from work mode to relax mode and then force yourself back into study mode. Just go straight to the library or nearby starbucks, buy yourself some comfort food on the way and start studying immediately. It'll be better if you can study on the bus.

this x1,000!
Cut out anything that you see unnecessary. For me the gym in the morning is definitely necessary, but right after work it is the closest starbucks/barnes & nobles/etc. and off to the races. If there is way too much noise there, throw in some headphones and play some type of background noise, where it is noticeable but tolerable. Also packing ALL of your food for the day is clutch. Getting all the sleep you need is also very important!

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 am

JustHawkin wrote:
jordan15 wrote:When I was working FT while going to school FT I didn't take any midday breaks. They wasted time and were unproductive. I feel like your 5-630 time is valuable and your current schedule is wasted. Its hard to allow yourself to transition from work mode to relax mode and then force yourself back into study mode. Just go straight to the library or nearby starbucks, buy yourself some comfort food on the way and start studying immediately. It'll be better if you can study on the bus.

this x1,000!
Cut out anything that you see unnecessary. For me the gym in the morning is definitely necessary, but right after work it is the closest starbucks/barnes & nobles/etc. and off to the races. If there is way too much noise there, throw in some headphones and play some type of background noise, where it is noticeable but tolerable. Also packing ALL of your food for the day is clutch. Getting all the sleep you need is also very important!

thank you

I will cut out that break from 5- 6:30 or at least as much as I can

Typically I arrive home around 5 30-40. I take the bus to the univ library I study at because its also where I'm taking my test and also very quiet/productive.I do get pushed back a little bit due to having to cook my meals for the next day or rest of the week.

I'll cut back to two pts. So far I have taken a lot more than 10 pts.

the bus is pretty unpredictable so my real schedule is more like 6:50-7:30 start then end around 11:30. Take bus get home around midnight. Make pre bed meal then sleep.
Last edited by A.Taarabt7 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:54 am

echoing what everyone else has already said, basically.

stick to working out if it helps you mentally, but it's ok to let a few sessions go - it's only temporary. you can always get "back" in shape, but you only have so many shots at this test. pressuring yourself out work out every morning may be tiring you out. that's another hour in the morning you could sleep, after all. this is coming from someone who loves working out but it not like hardcore crossfit intense about it. so if you are more committed, just ignore me, i don't get it, haha :)

like vicpin, i think 3 pts a week can only cause burnout. occasionally i will take one on a weeknight, for the express purpose of taking an exam while i am exhausted. doing this consistently is a waste of pts. i think it's better to aim for two, and to take one on the weekend. then spend the weeknights doing drilling, or, RESTING. cause being rested for the exam is kind of a big deal.

i do get a midday break, which i used to use to go swimming, but now some days i use it for logic games.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:21 am

wealtheow wrote:echoing what everyone else has already said, basically.

stick to working out if it helps you mentally, but it's ok to let a few sessions go - it's only temporary. you can always get "back" in shape, but you only have so many shots at this test. pressuring yourself out work out every morning may be tiring you out. that's another hour in the morning you could sleep, after all. this is coming from someone who loves working out but it not like hardcore crossfit intense about it. so if you are more committed, just ignore me, i don't get it, haha :)

like vicpin, i think 3 pts a week can only cause burnout. occasionally i will take one on a weeknight, for the express purpose of taking an exam while i am exhausted. doing this consistently is a waste of pts. i think it's better to aim for two, and to take one on the weekend. then spend the weeknights doing drilling, or, RESTING. cause being rested for the exam is kind of a big deal.

i do get a midday break, which i used to use to go swimming, but now some days i use it for logic games.

Very good take on in, Wealth.
Coming from a college athlete who "gets" the whole working out thing, my workout schedule is a microcosm of my daily schedule. I cut out the unnecessary things I dont need in order to reach my mid range goal, a 180. That means getting just enough workout in to challege my body and sustain my "plentiful" diet, but not too much where onset muscle soreness kicks in for 2-3 days and I'm dragging at work. By doing what I need to do, and enjoying some cardio by playing the sport I love, I have definitely seen an increase in the sustainability in my studying.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:23 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:"I began studying in August and took the test in December. I did not work or go to school during this time, and I had to move home with my parents to allow that. For some, that might not be possible, and for many more, it would be undesireable. For the latter among you, I suggest you take the time to assess what is really important: a test that can and will contribute significantly to determining the career opportunities you will have for the rest of your life, or your personal lifestyle for the next few months? If you lean towards the latter, I suggest you re-evaluate your commitment to law school to begin with." --TLS User: Unstoppable

Assumption: The person in question has economically wealthy enough parents to allow one to do this.

I agree that if possible, this is by far the best way. However remember it is a luxury confined not to those with dedication, but rather to just those of plentiful means.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:I am getting so damn fatigued

my schedule is gym in the morning

work 8-5 get home around 5 30, take the bus at 6 30 to local uni library , study till 11ish then take bus back then bed.

this schedule is killing me and I've been stuck at a 87-90th percentile. When I take the exams and study on weekends I feel pretty good but I am getting so flustered and fatigued trying to do 3 PT with my schedule.

I did schedule one half day a week and the holidays coming up will help but damn i Just feel so overwhlemed. I've been pushing myself since the spring when I decided to apply the next cycle. I made some serious gains from low 150 to where I am at now but I want to keep pushing.

I look at my job and see it as sorta worthless because its not what I am pursuing nor is it at a law firm/paralegal role.

Should I just take two tests a week... pt on the half day then pt on weekend? or should I try to take the 3 PTs a week that you guys recommend so much.

Reason why I am posting this is because I just took my pt ( currently at break) and I am receding. I've already taken 5 days off due to fatigue. I just feel so damn rushed and everything. I am slowly starting to lose hope. Thinking of buying some cigarettes to help me calm down.

Totally know everything you're going through. I have the same exact schedule, except I go to the gym around 11. I've taken this whole week off from PTing because I could barely get through two sections without feeling like my brain was failing and wondering on it's on. Hopefully this week off helps me.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Just plan on studying long term. I studied almost exclusively on weekends.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”