Powerscore LRB or Manhattan?

camcam

Powerscore LRB or Manhattan?

Postby camcam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 pm

I just got the powerscore LRB, but I've been seeing a few posts about Manhattan's LR book being better or just as good but less wordy. Is there a consensus on which is best? I don't know if there's one I should read first or if I should return LRB and get Manhattan while I'm still within the refund window.

aesth24

Re: Powerscore LRB or Manhattan?

Postby aesth24 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Don't have experience with the LRB, but the Manhattan LR is great.

mellow

Postby mellow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Powerscore LRB actually made my LR score worse; Manhattan LR increased it significantly. Take it as you will.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:32 pm

The Trainer --> Manhattan LR --> PS LR

ETA: I would do a read of the Trainer, then follow up with Manhattan and lots of drilling.
Last edited by rebexness on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mellow

Postby mellow » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:41 pm

rebexness wrote:The Trainer --> Manhattan LR --> PS LR

Unpopular opinion, but I don't like the Trainer for LR. It's good as an introduction, but it doesn't go into detail enough imo.

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:28 pm

aesth24 wrote:Don't have experience with the LRB, but the Manhattan LR is great.

Same here. I have never once looked at the PS LRB so I can't give you a comparison but I can attest that Manhattan LR is the shit. Definitely gave me that final little boost in LR to start getting 99th percentile scores

Brettanomyces

Postby Brettanomyces » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Anyone studying for the LSAT who doesn't read the first 6 chapters of MLR done fucked up.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 pm

both

camcam

Postby camcam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Is the Manhattan LR a fairly recent creation? I guess this is what I get for reading the old "How to get 160+ on your LSAT" thread.

Is the LGB still considered good? I'll go ahead and get the Manhattan LR and the trainer I guess.

aesth24

Postby aesth24 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:16 pm

camcam wrote:Is the Manhattan LR a fairly recent creation? I guess this is what I get for reading the old "How to get 160+ on your LSAT" thread.

Is the LGB still considered good? I'll go ahead and get the Manhattan LR and the trainer I guess.

That would be a recommended purchase.

esse est percipi

Postby esse est percipi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:36 pm

I was actually really unimpressed with powerscore LR. Seemed like it wanted to teach cheap tricks instead of really explaining how to understand LR concepts. E.g. it gave a really funky logic for how to deal with some/all questions, which was just confusing and did not explain the intricacies (and true rationale) of these problems. It also completely overlooked the difference between necessary and sufficient assumptions (if I recall correctly).

Get Manhattan.

aboutmydaylight

Postby aboutmydaylight » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:43 am

esse est percipi wrote:I was actually really unimpressed with powerscore LR. Seemed like it wanted to teach cheap tricks instead of really explaining how to understand LR concepts. E.g. it gave a really funky logic for how to deal with some/all questions, which was just confusing and did not explain the intricacies (and true rationale) of these problems. It also completely overlooked the difference between necessary and sufficient assumptions (if I recall correctly).

Get Manhattan.

I don't think it overlooks the necessary/sufficient, it just groups the question types differently. IIRC Powerscore identifies them as Justify the Conclusion (Sufficient Assumption) and Assumption (Necessary Assumption). Its different than Manhattan but its essentially the same thing. However, I would agree that Manhattan does a better job at stressing the importance of this distinction, which is really useful imo. I did Powerscore first and then Manhattan, and this key was probably the most important thing I picked up from Manhattan. It makes assumtion questions much easier which for a lot of people are some of the most difficult types.

If I had to choose I'd give the edge to Manhattan for LR, since Powerscore is a bit less detailed and focuses too much on formal logic. For LG I liked Powerscore better, though I really don't like their sequencing game diagramming (I used 7sage).

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 am

I thought Manhattan was much better, and their section on assumption family questions was invaluable for me. PS was ok but not as helpful, and their section on parallel reasoning should be avoided imo.

ftbchamp231

Postby ftbchamp231 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 am

I did the LRB first and I didn't really notice a difference. I just finished the Manhattan book yesterday, so I don't know how it affected my scores at all. But I feel much more comfortable with sufficient and necessary assumptions, and the LR as a whole. It is worth the money. LRB gives off the vibe of something written by instructors looking at the problem after the fact, manhattan writes out how you should be thinking as you read each individual sentence and question stem.

CitrusFruit

Postby CitrusFruit » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 am

Brettanomyces wrote:Anyone studying for the LSAT who doesn't read the first 6 chapters of MLR done fucked up.

This is a ridiculous overstatement. never even knew that book existed

bobtheblob916

Postby bobtheblob916 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:47 am

Definitely Manhattan. LRB is bloated and shallow.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:58 am

esse est percipi wrote:I was actually really unimpressed with powerscore LR. Seemed like it wanted to teach cheap tricks instead of really explaining how to understand LR concepts. E.g. it gave a really funky logic for how to deal with some/all questions, which was just confusing and did not explain the intricacies (and true rationale) of these problems. It also completely overlooked the difference between necessary and sufficient assumptions (if I recall correctly).

Get Manhattan.

PS really cheapens the Sufficient Assumption q techniques. Their "Shell Game" classification of tricky wrong answer choices is also not very helpful, IMO.

camcam

Postby camcam » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 am

My copies of the Trainer and MLR are coming in today!

Is there a consensus on which one to start with? This is the very beginning of my prep (probably taking the June '14 LSAT) so I think I'll start with LR stuff in the Manhattan book.

Sorry if I'm being too nit-picky! I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything that will screw up my prep.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”