Consolidating multiple studying resources

politibro44

Consolidating multiple studying resources

Postby politibro44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:05 am

After much perusing on this site, I have purchased the LSAT Trainer, the Manhattan series, and the Cambridge ultimate package because it seems like the best combination of study resources. I got the Trainer first and have been plugging away in that book. However, now that I have all these other books and practice questions, I'm struggling to figure out the best way to incorporate everything.

My idea so far is to follow along in the Trainer and after reading a lesson on a particularly subject (e.g. LR flaw, assumption, match the flaw), read the corresponding Manhattan sections on those LR questions types, then drill questions from the Cambridge packets under those particularly sections (in addition to those questions laid out by the trainer in PT 52-61). However, the biggest problem is that the question types in Cambridge don't correspond with those in the Trainer. And this would significantly slow down how quickly I finish that book...but that's not a bad thing necessarily.

Would it be better to simply finish the Trainer, and then go through the Manhattan books? Does anyone have any experience weaving multiple books and questions together or is it better to tackle one book at a time. Curious to hear about what other people have done in this situation and what they think is most effective.

bobtheblob916

Re: Consolidating multiple studying resources

Postby bobtheblob916 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 am

I didn't use Cambridge or the Trainer, so I can't comment on your specific situation, but I generally preferred to go through the books I did use one at a time.

A good idea might be this: finish the LR section in the Trainer, then do Manhattan LR with the Cambridge LR packets. THEN move on to LG in the same order. But don't feel like you have to stick to anything too rigidly. If you're getting really tired of LR, for example, spend a day on LG or RC.

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

OP: I am in your situation exactly. I started off with the Trainer, the Manhattan series, and the Cambridge Ultimate bundle. I've centered my studies around the Trainer since the beginning of September, and I really think the book is an excellent resource. That said, there have been moments along the way when I felt like the Trainer work was not totally clicking with me. At those moments, I would go crack open the corresponding Manhattan lessons and do supplemental drilling with the Cambridge packets. I have also recently ordered the Blueprint LG book, since I don't think the Trainer's methods are the more useful for me at this point. In my experience so far, it seems like there is not one singularly perfect way to fold in additional study materials. The best approach would be to remain eternally vigilant about assessing the progress of your skill set, and do supplemental work on an ad hoc basis. If you are deciding between study schedules for the Trainer, I would recommend picking the one that will allow enough flexibility to do outside work. In other words, don't make it so that your Trainer schedule will take up ALL of your allotted study time.

If you have any questions (or if you feel like sharing methods/schedules/general commiseration), feel free to PM me!

politibro44

Postby politibro44 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:30 am

Thank you both. Straw_Mandible I sent you a PM.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”