Recycling PT's and Sections

Mr.Esquire

Recycling PT's and Sections

Postby Mr.Esquire » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

I have read other posts on this but I just want to know, If I plan on taking every PT, but I also have a binder with all LG, LR, RC questions separated and I use those to drill. I have heard that it is a good idea to recycle tests and questions but that you will probably get a better score on something you have already done vs. a fresh test.

For those that have done this. Were you even able to remember and recognize that you have done that section or question when reading it. Did you really feel like you had an advantage. I feel like it would be extremely hard unless your MIKE ROSS to remember a question you did 20 tests ago. I have only took 4 PT's and I don't remember the answers from my first test.

Let me know your thoughts.

aesth24

Re: Recycling PT's and Sections

Postby aesth24 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:16 pm

It's fine to recycle tests/questions. You may remember what the right answer is, but what's important is do you know WHY it's the correct answer and what steps you took to get there. Additionally, knowing WHY the wrong answers are wrong is vitally important.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Of course you will have an advantage. Recycling the questions helps a lot, and if you go through all the PTs or your workbooks you might have to do it even if you don't want to. It makes the ideas concrete to go over them a second time, but don't use those PT scores as an indicator of where you're at w/r/t a normal score. If you get a 179 on a PT you don't really remember doing before but have already done, you're not "PTing in the upper 170s." Just use them as practice.

Mr.Esquire

Postby Mr.Esquire » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:21 pm

So considering I have done 4 PT's. I just started THE LSAT TRAINER, would it be best to devote tests 1-40 for drillings and 41-70 for PT'ing? and while drilling, do do it under timed conditions or just focus on getting only the correct answers?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Mr.Esquire wrote:So considering I have done 4 PT's. I just started THE LSAT TRAINER, would it be best to devote tests 1-40 for drillings and 41-70 for PT'ing? and while drilling, do do it under timed conditions or just focus on getting only the correct answers?

I guess you could do a couple more if you're still getting the feel for them. I would always do them timed after that. I wouldn't devote any for drilling. At least I didn't. I used the practice problems in the LR / RC / LG bible type books as drilling, maybe did a sample PT or two like that, but afterwards just did PT after PT after PT.

Just make sure you thoroughly go through your PTs after you do them and look at every question and figure out why it was wrong or right. I didn't use nearly all of the PTs when practicing.

Another tip that worked for me (unrelated) was to take the tests super early in the morning, when I was groggy. That way when you take it at 9am for the real thing you're used to being tired (or sick, or anything else) and the test it easier. Also did the thing where I gave myself 30 minutes for a section instead of 35. But to each their own.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Mr.Esquire wrote:I have read other posts on this but I just want to know, If I plan on taking every PT, but I also have a binder with all LG, LR, RC questions separated and I use those to drill. I have heard that it is a good idea to recycle tests and questions but that you will probably get a better score on something you have already done vs. a fresh test.

For those that have done this. Were you even able to remember and recognize that you have done that section or question when reading it. Did you really feel like you had an advantage. I feel like it would be extremely hard unless your MIKE ROSS to remember a question you did 20 tests ago. I have only took 4 PT's and I don't remember the answers from my first test.

Let me know your thoughts.

Considering there are currently 74 available PTs, you are early in the study process and have only taken 4 practice tests, I don't see why this is a matter of concern at this point. Planning to take all available PTs as timed practice tests is not a good or realistic idea. You should be using at least half of them for slow motion drilling to get good at everything before transitioning into the take lots of practice tests phase.

There are more than enough PTs to drill a bunch and have plenty to use as fresh practice tests without any overlap of materials if you plan ahead with which materials you are going to use for what. Select and set aside a good amount of recent PTs that you will not look at except for timed practice use in order to gauge your performance level as you progress and for fresh timed practice leading into test day. Of course, you also thoroughly review and dissect all the questions from those after you take each as a timed PT.

It takes a LOT of time to thoroughly drill and review 30-40 PTs worth of material properly, literally hundreds of hours, leaving you with another 30-40 full tests for timed practice, which should be enough for at least two months of timed practice and review in addition to/after drilling with other tests. More than enough materials to keep busy with before you ever even have to re-use anything if you don't want to. Think of it this way, you have more real LSAT materials to use for prep than anyone that has ever taken a real LSAT before in history!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”