RC section management Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Dringus

New

RC section management

Post by Dringus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm

How do you guys manage RC sections?

Do you do passages sequentially or otherwise (order of difficulty, etc)?

Hemenway

New

Re: RC section management

Post by Hemenway » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:12 pm

I usually do passages with the most questions first.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:22 pm

I don't know how you could do it by order of difficulty. You wouldn't know how hard the passage and questions are until you were already doing it!

I used to count the questions of each passage and do the ones with the most first, but it took too much time to count and flip back and forth.

Now I usually do the first two passages straight, then I will count the questions on the last two and do the one with more questions first. The only exception to this is if there is a passage with only 5 questions in the first two. I will skip that one as soon as I turn to it and do it last.

The other consideration I take is the comparative passage. I find I get through these much quicker, since the questions are less detailed and more about the relationship between the general arguments of the two passages, thus I can read through less carefully and more rapidly. If the last two passages have the same questions, and one is the comparative passage, then I will do that one last.

If the last two have the same number of questions, and the comparative passage is one of the first two, I will just do them all in order.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm

buffalo_ wrote:I don't know how you could do it by order of difficulty. You wouldn't know how hard the passage and questions are until you were already doing it!

I used to count the questions of each passage and do the ones with the most first, but it took too much time to count and flip back and forth.

Now I usually do the first two passages straight, then I will count the questions on the last two and do the one with more questions first. The only exception to this is if there is a passage with only 5 questions in the first two. I will skip that one as soon as I turn to it and do it last.

The other consideration I take is the comparative passage. I find I get through these much quicker, since the questions are less detailed and more about the relationship between the general arguments of the two passages, thus I can read through less carefully and more rapidly. If the last two passages have the same questions, and one is the comparative passage, then I will do that one last.

If the last two have the same number of questions, and the comparative passage is one of the first two, I will just do them all in order.
Cambridge bundles.

bobtheblob916

New

Post by bobtheblob916 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:44 pm

I would do the ones with most questions first as well. It doesn't take very long. When you see a passage with eight questions, you're gonna wanna prioritize that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hemenway

New

Post by Hemenway » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Louis1127 wrote: Cambridge bundles.
But Cambridge packets aren't RC sections..

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 pm

bobtheblob916 wrote:I would do the ones with most questions first as well. It doesn't take very long. When you see a passage with eight questions, you're gonna wanna prioritize that.
This is generally my recommendation. Near-worst case timing scenario, I'd rather have a 5-question passage to complete in 6 minutes than an 8-question one. Those 8-question passages also tend to be more dense - that's how they get so many questions out of them. And 8 questions is almost certainly going to be the most questions for a single passage, so if you see that one, you can start there without having to flip back and forth.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:25 pm

Hemenway wrote:
Louis1127 wrote: Cambridge bundles.
But Cambridge packets aren't RC sections..
You're right. I was thinking by type increasing by difficulty. My apologies.

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm a firm believer in doing them all in order, same with LG. Its very hard to figure out which passage is more difficult without wasting any time. The only real things you can account for is the comparative passage and the topic. If you have trouble with a certain topic (science for example) then leave that for last.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:23 pm

By question order for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”