Studying when you just don't have enough time.

cpamom

Studying when you just don't have enough time.

Postby cpamom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:48 am

I just bombed October 2013 exam (166->159) and trying to come up with a new and improved study plan. Here is the situation:

1. Would like to sit for June 2014 exam, or October 2014 the latest (looks like October might just be my favorite administration!
2. I wouldn't be able to do a full timed uninterrupted test until March-April (three kids at home including a breastfed baby)
3. Depends on time of the month, but I am usually able to devote 1 hour a day to reading a book at work and about 2 hours to doing sections. Since I am busier at home than at work, I plan to do a lot of studying there + 2 hours a day on the weekend, if possible.

Problems:
1. When I focus on one section, I feel that I suffer on others. For example, I feel that I loose fluency in LR when I devote too much of my time to Logic Games. I think I might have to start with Logic Games and throw in couple of games a day later in my studying. I used to get -1 to -3 on Logic Games, and got embarrassing -6 on October 2013.

2. I see little improvement in RC. For some reason I do much, much better on "harder" passages than on "easy" ones. For example, I got -0 on !King, despite staring at it for a minute wondering if I have a typo in my booklet, and totally failed October 2013 RC which was so much easier. The fact that I spin my wheels on it is very discouraging, especially since I don't have much time to devote to studying and feel that I should use it as efficiently as possible.

So, basically, my question is- how to make the most of the little study time that I do have. Any input would be appreciated. If anyone juggled multiple responsibilities while getting ready for LSAT and is willing to share their experiences, I would be happy to see it, too.

Thank you!

guano

Re: Studying when you just don't have enough time.

Postby guano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 am

I hate to say it, but, buckle down. Plenty of people with full time jobs and little kids were able to make the time, you can too. Just use your down time for studying. No TV, no games, no meeting up with friends. Just do it

cpamom

Postby cpamom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:20 am

What is TV and games? Or downtime?

Let me formulate my question differently- what should I start with? LG? LR? RC? Mixed review? What's the best way to approach it?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:34 am

Sorry. I just reread your post and it appears you can devote 3 hours a day (1 reading + 2 sections) and are studying for the June test - 7 months.

That's more than enough time . There are plenty of study guides out there. Check them out.

gatorchomps

Postby gatorchomps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:40 am

If you grab copies of Manhattan's LR, RC, and LG guides, you can either work through them one at a time, or try to do one chapter at a time from each. Honestly, I'm not sure if there's really a "best" way to go about it. Whatever you feel comfortable with, you should do. Just make sure to DRILL, DRILL, DRILL each question type. The Cambridge guides are nice, because they separate all question types for you and you can really focus on your trouble spots.

I think I personally would start with LR, because the skills you use for determining reasoning structure will help with RC stuff, as well. At least, that's how it worked for me.

Also, pick up The LSAT Trainer. Great guide--I'm working through it now.

cpamom

Postby cpamom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:48 am

I have:

Manhattan LR,LG,RC
Preptests 8-65
Bibles

I never drilled LR or RC, I guess I should start. Looks like preliminary plan is:

1. Drill LG (I like LG and find it easier to retain skills over period of time)
2. Drill LR (I saw categorization somewhere)
3. Drill RC while doing sections of LR
4. Do timed sections and review.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”