How to Drill Correctly Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mr.Esquire

New

How to Drill Correctly

Post by Mr.Esquire » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:38 am

I want to know how the best way to drill effectively and efficiently is?

1. Any materials to use, or just photo copy sections from PT's myself?

2. When in my study schedule should I drill? I just started the LSAT Trainer, and I am not taking the LSAT until June, unless I am hitting my goal by february in which I will take that test.

3. How long should I drill for each session?

4. Any other resources for drilling?

5. How effective is drilling vs. just taking full practice tests?

6. Would a combo of drilling and PT's be beneficial?

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

JWP1022

Bronze

Re: How to Drill Correctly

Post by JWP1022 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Use protection

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:25 pm

JWP1022 wrote:Use protection
lol'd

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:33 pm

The general progression is:

Learn method for a question type -> Drill questions of question type -> Repeat for each question type -> Review methods -> Drill mixed question types -> Find problems, fix the methods -> Drill tests

If your prep materials split the question types into families, then drill the mixed question types for each family before moving to the next one.

When reviewing, it's important to understand both the logic of the test and also the faulty logic you're using to get to wrong answers. I would start getting in the habit of underlining the 2-3 words that you think make the answer choices right/wrong so you can recreate your thought process without just chalking wrong answers up to stupid mistakes, or just saying, "What was I thinking?" If you underline the words, you'll know what you were thinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 10052014 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:41 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.Esquire

New

Post by Mr.Esquire » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Is it better to Drill a section until your getting -1 or -2 consistently..or is it better to take a more comprehensive approach to drills and say...

One Week Drill LG, One Week Drill LR, One Week Drill RC, and then One Week Take a PT. and Repeat this process.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Mr.Esquire wrote:Is it better to Drill a section until your getting -1 or -2 consistently..or is it better to take a more comprehensive approach to drills and say...

One Week Drill LG, One Week Drill LR, One Week Drill RC, and then One Week Take a PT. and Repeat this process.
You should rotate the three section types as you study so that you don't end up just focusing on one type for weeks while ignoring the others. You can rotate per study session, or per several day blocks, or per week depending on your weaknesses and strengths. You just need to make sure you work in dedicated study time for each section type fairly often so you are making progress across the board and not neglecting anything for long periods of time.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 pm

I highly recommend the cambridge lsat by type bundle. It's like $80 for 19 pdfs from their website. Read a chapter in your prep book (manhattan, logical reasoning bible, ect) then do the correponding pdf. I was going -1/-2 per section by the time I was done with all the pdfs...about a month. PM me if you have any more questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”