Kaplan actually lowered my score- money back?

jordan15

Kaplan actually lowered my score- money back?

Postby jordan15 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Well not me, but my boyfriend. He took the LSAT a year ago and got mid 160s. Leading up to the October 2013 LSAT he did a $1200 Kaplan course and studied a lot. Probably 15-25 hours/week. He ended up getting a 160 on the Oct LSAT. I blame Kaplan.

They have a "money back guarantee" if your score drops, but when he called them they told him they would be willing to let him take the class again for free (lol!) or apply the $1200 credit to 15 hours of tutoring, which is $2400. That's right, pay an extra $1200 for 15 hours of tutoring, which would still be the Kaplan method.

Has anybody gone through this before and successfully gotten their money back? We knew it had a bad rep before but now it feels like a full blown scam. If they refuse to give him his money back we plan to file a claim on the BBB, make negative Yelp reviews, report the program to the university that they use, basically whatever we can do to help spread awareness of how terrible and shady they are. But honestly, we'd rather just have the money back.

chizzy

Re: Kaplan actually lowered my score- money back?

Postby chizzy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:44 pm

i went through it but i decided to take the on line demand course just to use their materials and resources. but you should definitely get your money back. it is plastered all over their website so they have no excuse. they usually require that you complete all the assigned homework, and you should let your boyfriend contact the person that taught the class to vouch for him. hope this helps!

alecks

Postby alecks » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

They absolutely better give you your money back--

I got a 155 diagnostic in 2011. I took a Kaplan "advanced" course and got a 148 on the actual test. Should have canceled my score, but I whined to them so much they gave me a refund and then I used the money for a tutor.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Wanted to make sure you've taken a look at this -- http://www.kaptest.com/hsg-eligibility.jhtml --

If he completed his work, he should get his money back. Offering a retake and advertising it as a money-back guarantee is absolute douchebaggery, and they shouldn't be able to get away with it. I almost want to get on the phone for you. Good luck.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. He went to every class meeting and did all the homework but didn't input the homework online for 2 of the assignments. However, he said that his teacher (or possibly the Kaplan robot?) recognized him as being at the top of the class because he got an offer after the class was over to be a teacher for them, assuming he placed in the 90% (which he did not do).

They just sent him another email offering a 60% discount. They didn't specify what the discount was for, or say if it was for 60% discount on top of the $1200 credit they already offered or if they were taking away that offer and just offering 60% now. I still think that Kaplan is super shady and continuing to take classes or private tutoring with them is going to drill in bad methods so for now we are still going to hold out for a refund.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 pm

On one hand, if he took the product and they tried, it's mean to take money back especially when things like test day nerves, stomach viruses, etc. are unpredictable. On the other, how many students sign up for Kaplan just based on the "money back guarantee" and it is a hundred million dollar corporation. I think morally it comes down to whether he would have went elsewhere without the guarantee. If he needs the money, I doubt the 1000 bucks is worth fighting about for them.

To the above poster, these courses are all so instructor dependent. My impression was the instructors are generally caring and that the curriculum is largely when the instructor is potentially an idiot but a charismatic idiot. If they're good, they're generally allowed to veer off the page.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:21 pm

I've looked through some of the methods that Kaplan teaches and it's straight up time consuming garbage. Sure, it'll help someone go from 130s/140s to above a 150 but if you're aiming for a 168+ it's complete garbage. And it really speaks to their curriculum when someone who has already taken an official and scored in the mid 160s to go through the entire course and get a lower score.

FWIW, he said that pretty much everyone in the class was hoping to get above a 150 and a few had 160 as their dream goal so I suppose Kaplan does serve a legitimate purpose, however, they should warn people who sign up that have a 160+ diagnostic or actual LSAT that their course will not help at all and they certainly shouldn't put up a fight about a full refund.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:08 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:Wanted to make sure you've taken a look at this -- http://www.kaptest.com/hsg-eligibility.jhtml --

If he completed his work, he should get his money back. Offering a retake and advertising it as a money-back guarantee is absolute douchebaggery, and they shouldn't be able to get away with it. I almost want to get on the phone for you. Good luck.

Whatever he does, get the LSAT Trainer. That book will do 50 times more than a Kaplan course ever will.

jordan15

Postby jordan15 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:23 pm

wtrc wrote:
The LSAT Trainer wrote:Wanted to make sure you've taken a look at this -- http://www.kaptest.com/hsg-eligibility.jhtml --

Whatever he does, get the LSAT Trainer. That book will do 50 times more than a Kaplan course ever will.

It just came in the mail today! We're both really excited. At this point we're just really thankful that schools don't average the scores anymore and he still has another retake left.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”