151 October LSAT Retake on December?

tbt_mike

151 October LSAT Retake on December?

Postby tbt_mike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:03 am

I bombed the October LSAT and it didn't really surprised me that much. I was scoring 157 to 159 during my PTs and when the test day came, my hands started shaking and couldn't even start answering the questions. I wonder if it is possible for me to get a high 160s to 170 when I retake the lsat in December? Also, I have problems with the 35 min time constraint of the exam. They say I should practice more especially with the RC section which is also my weakness when there is time constraint. Is it possible through practice in 1 month before the December test to improve my score? Also are there chances that I might bomb it again?

Jeffort

Re: 151 October LSAT Retake on December?

Postby Jeffort » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:32 am

Yes and Yes, but there are no guarantees. Your results will mostly depend on how much and how well you prepare going forward. 151 to 170+ in 4-5 weeks is pretty unlikely though, you'd need a lot more prep time. Sounds like you didn't really prep that hard the first time and didn't do much timed practice.

How did you and how much did you study before?

If you are serious about wanting a high 160s+ score and need it for the schools you are interested in, you should seriously consider waiting to apply until next cycle so that you give yourself enough time to properly prep for the test. Improving from 150 level to 170 is possible, but very hard and typically takes a lot of time, like many months and even then there is no guarantee you will ever get there. You need to do some serious soul searching with your law school plans and goals to determine what to do next. Applying this cycle with a 151 is probably not going to get you anything you want since you have been shooting for 170+.

tbt_mike

Postby tbt_mike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:17 am

Jeffort wrote:Yes and Yes, but there are no guarantees. Your results will mostly depend on how much and how well you prepare going forward. 151 to 170+ in 4-5 weeks is pretty unlikely though, you'd need a lot more prep time. Sounds like you didn't really prep that hard the first time and didn't do much timed practice.

How did you and how much did you study before?

If you are serious about wanting a high 160s+ score and need it for the schools you are interested in, you should seriously consider waiting to apply until next cycle so that you give yourself enough time to properly prep for the test. Improving from 150 level to 170 is possible, but very hard and typically takes a lot of time, like many months and even then there is no guarantee you will ever get there. You need to do some serious soul searching with your law school plans and goals to determine what to do next. Applying this cycle with a 151 is probably not going to get you anything you want since you have been shooting for 170+.

Thank you for that advice. I studied for two months but given it was my first time, I think I studied the wrong way. I spent time with the books on the first month (I was studying on my own) trying to learn everything the concepts and techniques needed. Then the 2nd month, I spent time taking full length prep tests with time constraints. What I didn't do is to focus on each sections.I didn't finish each sections in 35 mins though when taken untimed I get to have a really high score. I think at some point, I do understand how the lsat's section works but the problem is time. I guess I'm too slow when pressured? What do you think I should do to improve? I'm thinking about what you said and just take it on February and apply next cycle.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 am

Can you wait till next cycle to apply? Most people report needing 3-6 months of consistent studying (2+ hours/day) to reach their full potential. If I were you, I'd aim for taking the test in February or June, depending on how much time you have to study each day, and applying in the 2014-2015 cycle.

As for study plans, you should consult the stickies for this. Pithypike's guide is a favorite around here, and there are some other good ones as well.

tbt_mike

Postby tbt_mike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:59 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:Can you wait till next cycle to apply? Most people report needing 3-6 months of consistent studying (2+ hours/day) to reach their full potential. If I were you, I'd aim for taking the test in February or June, depending on how much time you have to study each day, and applying in the 2014-2015 cycle.

As for study plans, you should consult the stickies for this. Pithypike's guide is a favorite around here, and there are some other good ones as well.

Thanks iamgeorgebush for this one. I can still wait and considering of taking the February Lsat. I don't want to lose hope and quit. Btw I am new here where can I find pithypike?

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 am

tbt_mike wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Can you wait till next cycle to apply? Most people report needing 3-6 months of consistent studying (2+ hours/day) to reach their full potential. If I were you, I'd aim for taking the test in February or June, depending on how much time you have to study each day, and applying in the 2014-2015 cycle.

Thanks iamgeorgebush for this one. I can still wait and considering of taking the February Lsat. I don't want to lose hope and quit. Btw I am new here where can I find pithypike?

It's somewhere in the stickies in this forum.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”