3rd time retake for hys?

questionsandanswers

3rd time retake for hys?

Postby questionsandanswers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 am

Hi.
I have a candidate cancel (Feb 2013) and a 170 (Oct 2013). I've been constantly prepping at 174-175, so the 170 was a bit of a shock. I was really nervous on test day, though. I am an international applicant, so I do not have a GPA.
I'm under the impression that HYS is impossible with this score. I was wondering what my chances are for HYS with a third retake. If I get around 173+, is H still impossible given that it's a retake?
I don't think I'll be ready for Dec this year, so I will have to apply next cycle if I retake.
Thanks for your advice!

Jeffort

Re: 3rd time retake for hys?

Postby Jeffort » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:02 am

If you get a higher score it will help your chances of getting into Harvard. They don't discount it because its your third time. Although it's still unclear whether Harvard only cares about the highest score or whether they still weigh in the others a bit somehow into consideration, some peoples results from last cycle indicate that having multiple LSAT scores is not fatal for Harvard admission. You should check LSN and read some of the threads in the admissions area here.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:30 am

Definitely retake if you think you can do better. Since you only have your LSAT to go on (going off your other posts), that will weigh close to 90% or more in your admissions chances. It's ridiculous that it counts that much, but it does, and so you should take it again if you think you can improve.

SecondWind

Postby SecondWind » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 am

If you know you can do better, IMO retake.

Also, if you decide you are going to retake I would suggest you first read pdf pages 6-18 (book pages 14-26) from The Trainer:

--LinkRemoved--

It has a good bit in there about the best way to alleviate test anxiety as well as other useful advice so that you have the right mindset for taking the LSAT.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am

I had a similar PT average and a disappointing 170 on the June test. I retook in October and got a 175. I found a numbers twin who got into Harvard with a 167->175 so the improved score will definitely help. I'm not sure how much it helps, but retaking is definitely the right choice. Even if you miss Harvard, you'll have a lot of options all up and down the T14.

questionsandanswers

Postby questionsandanswers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks for all the advice. It seems a retake is definitely in order.
It's a big decision for me though - I'm debating btw law schools in my home country and going to the US (which is why I'm only considering HYS: although the other T14 are great schools and I would love to attend them, even with $ I'm not too sure about going unless I get a full ride).
I think I'll just apply this cycle for the experience but retake in June. I don't have to pay for CAS twice, right?

And SecondWind, thanks for the link.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”