bigfeature

Postby bigfeature » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 am

Last edited by bigfeature on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:29 am, edited 7 times in total.

dosto

Re: got my score...the same as june score...retake?

Postby dosto » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:34 am

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobtheblob916

Postby bobtheblob916 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 am

What have you studied from? Did you move from learning each section bit by bit to taking full untimed tests? You can definitely improve from a 159, I'm absolutely certain that you can study more effectively, and get a better retake.

Howl

Postby Howl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:04 am

Retake. And I think taking a year off instead of taking the Dec test will be a good idea if you're really serious about raising your score. I don't think 38 days (or whatever is left) will be enough to fundamentally change whatever you're doing and make it solid enough for test day.

Also, you mention being sick of the LSAT. I was in the same boat last year. My second score was actually 1 point lower than my first. Last Oct I was so sick of the LSAT, the thought of restudying for Dec almost made me go mad. So, I gave up my dreams of applying for the 2012-2013 cycle, took a complete mental break from the LSAT until June of the following year. Then I plunged back in with a new mindset.

I definitely recommend following NoodleyOne's guide. the MLSAT bundles (which I had not used until then) really helped me with LR and RC.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:30 am

164-169 range on second time taking all the tests plus two real 159s says that you have problems with your reasoning and processing methods and skills, and some weaknesses with fully understanding the conceptual foundations. You need to get a deeper understanding of what is going on within the reasoning of each of the questions, especially with LR arguments.

You can totally learn this stuff since you are already super familiar with the LSAT, you just need to learn a much different way of thinking about and going about solving questions than you have been using. It requires a lot of habit changing and a lot of deeply breaking down many questions into pieces and examining them thoroughly to really make sure you are using the right reasons to make decisions about answers rather than bad reasons. Many students do not realize for a while or until somebody points it out that they are actually using some invalid methods to make certain answer choice selections in their reasoning processes. You need to figure out the flaws currently in your approach and thought processes and fix them.

With work it can be done, there are many good threads about re-taking on the forum that a lot of people have found useful. Don't think that used materials are not useful just because you think know the questions! They are still very useful, especially for figuring out what you really don't understand since you keep missing questions second time around after having reviewed them once before. Missing some of the same questions twice or missing ones you got right before establishes that you are using some faulty decision making processes that can be improved.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”