SoCal testing centers

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:08 am

Retaking in Dec, and my only options that seem at all within reasonable distance are Cal State LA and Northridge. I live on the Westside, so neither are particularly convenient, but I'd like to pick the best possible site given my options (desk size is of particular concern).

If anyone has any insights into either testing location, I'd very much appreciate it!

User avatar
JSm00v3
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby JSm00v3 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Took the Oct Admin at CSUN. Here's the rundown:
1. Tiny desks
2. Convenient parking
3. Can't really compare anything else

Basically, the tiny desks suck and I regret not finding a test center with tables. I believe that CSULA may have tables in some of their rooms instead of those hell-desks. I'll ask around and confirm.
Edit: they do not have tables. Are those two your only options? I think Blue Print wrote an article about LA area testing centers.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Ugggghhh. I hate these tiny desks!! Thanks so much for the info though. Yeah for some reason those are the only two showing as available within about 20 miles... At a certain point I'm figuring distance (and therefore getting up at 5 am) is worse than desks the size of a wheat thin.

Idk though, I hated my booklet falling off the edges at UCLA...

I'll look into that BP article-thanks for pointing me in that direction.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:00 pm

I also have East LA College and Rio Hondo but they are pushing the distance. I read some good things about RH. Is it better to have a good center and maybe stay in a hotel, or sleep where you're comfortable but have a bad center?

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby alecks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm having this same issue. Is USC not doing the LSAT in Dcember??? Even when I did take it at USC there were kids yelling in the halls after taking the SATs... which sucked. Also tiny desks. But I'm scared to hit traffic / get lost or something going anywhere else. ~ugh

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:49 pm

alecks wrote:I'm having this same issue. Is USC not doing the LSAT in Dcember??? Even when I did take it at USC there were kids yelling in the halls after taking the SATs... which sucked. Also tiny desks. But I'm scared to hit traffic / get lost or something going anywhere else. ~ugh


Yeah I'm scared of that too... It seems like a lot of the centers aren't doing it for Dec. I reserved a seat at Rio Hondo. Worst case I'll get a hotel, but I just can't do the desks that aren't even the size of the booklet again... I'm doing a test run today to see if it's doable with more traffic than I'd imagine a Sat morning would have.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you coming from?

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby alecks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:56 pm

CookieDough wrote:
alecks wrote:I'm having this same issue. Is USC not doing the LSAT in Dcember??? Even when I did take it at USC there were kids yelling in the halls after taking the SATs... which sucked. Also tiny desks. But I'm scared to hit traffic / get lost or something going anywhere else. ~ugh


Yeah I'm scared of that too... It seems like a lot of the centers aren't doing it for Dec. I reserved a seat at Rio Hondo. Worst case I'll get a hotel, but I just can't do the desks that aren't even the size of the booklet again... I'm doing a test run today to see if it's doable with more traffic than I'd imagine a Sat morning would have.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you coming from?


I might end up doing the hotel situation for another location. I live in Los Feliz... but my parents live in Orange County so I might head down to Saddleback because at least I'm more familiar with the area. So annoying!

I'm about to vom just thinking about it now. Need to get these nerves under control, haha.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm

alecks wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
alecks wrote:I'm having this same issue. Is USC not doing the LSAT in Dcember??? Even when I did take it at USC there were kids yelling in the halls after taking the SATs... which sucked. Also tiny desks. But I'm scared to hit traffic / get lost or something going anywhere else. ~ugh


Yeah I'm scared of that too... It seems like a lot of the centers aren't doing it for Dec. I reserved a seat at Rio Hondo. Worst case I'll get a hotel, but I just can't do the desks that aren't even the size of the booklet again... I'm doing a test run today to see if it's doable with more traffic than I'd imagine a Sat morning would have.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you coming from?


I might end up doing the hotel situation for another location. I live in Los Feliz... but my parents live in Orange County so I might head down to Saddleback because at least I'm more familiar with the area. So annoying!

I'm about to vom just thinking about it now. Need to get these nerves under control, haha.


Haha I've definitely been fighting nerves! Familiarity seems like the best bet. No need for a freak out because you don't know the area!

User avatar
Domke
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby Domke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 pm

JSm00v3 wrote:Took the Oct Admin at CSUN. Here's the rundown:
1. Tiny desks
2. Convenient parking
3. Can't really compare anything else

Basically, the tiny desks suck and I regret not finding a test center with tables. I believe that CSULA may have tables in some of their rooms instead of those hell-desks. I'll ask around and confirm.
Edit: they do not have tables. Are those two your only options? I think Blue Print wrote an article about LA area testing centers.


CSULA taker here. They use the tiny desks as well :( I haven't been able to find any schools that use a full desk in SoCal.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:00 am

Domke wrote:
CSULA taker here. They use the tiny desks as well :( I haven't been able to find any schools that use a full desk in SoCal.



:x I do not understand why these desks are used for anything, let alone tests. I'm not asking for a huge work space but I'd like room for my answer sheet and perhaps a pencil?

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby mellow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:51 am

alecks wrote:I might end up doing the hotel situation for another location. I live in Los Feliz... but my parents live in Orange County so I might head down to Saddleback because at least I'm more familiar with the area. So annoying!

I'm about to vom just thinking about it now. Need to get these nerves under control, haha.

If it's a possibility, I definitely recommend taking it at an OC center. I've only heard good things about the OC ones (Whittier, Saddleback, IVC), except UCI, but horror stories about pretty much all of the LA ones. I myself took it at IVC in October and I had huge desks in a small classroom with minimal noise. Proctor was great and lenient in what you could bring in/wear.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby bp shinners » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 am

Not sure which of these locations is convenient for you, so I'm linking to the article we posted about testing centers instead of copying it over.

http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat- ... g-centers/

User avatar
Metaplay
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby Metaplay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 pm

I've taken the LSAT at La Verne and Concordia. Both great centers if you're doing the hotel thing.

User avatar
aesth24
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 am

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby aesth24 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Took my first take at Irvine Valley College (IVC) and had huge long tables with plenty of room. Heard good things about other OC centers. My second take was at Redlands University and had huge long tables as well. Both sites had competent proctors.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

User avatar
MinuetinG
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby MinuetinG » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey guys,
I'm in LA too. I took October at CSUN which is close (I'm in the valley) but I hated the small desks. I'm registered at CSUN again but am seriously considering Rio Hondo. I'm nervous about traffic though and the unfamiliar area. I don't know what's better, comfort or familiarity. I'm still thinking about maybe a hotel room in Whittier for Rio Hondo. I might also take a ride down there to check it out on the weekend.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: SoCal testing centers

Postby CookieDough » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:42 pm

MinuetinG wrote:Hey guys,
I'm in LA too. I took October at CSUN which is close (I'm in the valley) but I hated the small desks. I'm registered at CSUN again but am seriously considering Rio Hondo. I'm nervous about traffic though and the unfamiliar area. I don't know what's better, comfort or familiarity. I'm still thinking about maybe a hotel room in Whittier for Rio Hondo. I might also take a ride down there to check it out on the weekend.


I'm doing to run through to see if it's possible, but I'm definitely still considering a hotel. For me personally I know I can't do the desks again. But there is a lot to be said for being familiar with the area/not getting stuck in traffic...




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, Google [Bot], ltowns1 and 4 guests