Retake? Please help for when

ojalili1990

Retake? Please help for when

Postby ojalili1990 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 pm

I scored below 150 for October exam.
Undergrad GPA: 3.28

Going into test day, I knew that I needed more time to get into my preferred range (~160), but I had already delayed the June exam and could not push it back further as I want to apply for the Fall 14 cycle. My first section was LG which gave me a shock. Here are my scores:

LG- 11/23
LR- 13/25
LR- 12/26
RC- 10/27

Reading comp has been the death of me during my studying. I havent been able to gain great progress. I have looked around the forum and noticed people recommending the Economist an such. I will be looking into that. I have not completed the full 4 passages for a RC section under timed conditions yet. LR and LG I would normally do better, around 16-18 average.

Is it reasonable to get back into gear and shoot for December? Or should I put more time and go for February? I know most schools will not accept February...

I have been out of school since finishing my undergrad in December of 12. I took an lsat prepcourse twice.

In a huge dilemma, please help.

- Depressed student
Last edited by ojalili1990 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamgeorgebush

Re: Retake? Please help for when

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi there,

If I were you, I would wait till next cycle to apply. I suspect that just about anyone who makes it through college with a 3.28 (assuming you didn't major in finger painting) can achieve a 160+ score with enough hard work, but one month will probably not be enough time and you'd be at a disadvantage applying with a February score. Take a breather, blow off some steam, and follow a study plan like Pithypike's (read the stickies...there are some other good ones up there too), aiming to sit for the June '14 exam.

Also, ask yourself how badly you want to go to law school. Do you want it badly enough to spend another few hundred hours preparing for the LSAT? If so, then great. Get to it! (After a much needed vacation, of course, to clear your mind.) If not, then perhaps consider other options as well.

ojalili1990

Postby ojalili1990 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Georgebush, thanks for the reply. I do know that I have the potential to hit 160 if I can improve my RC for sure.

And you raised a great point about asking myself how badly I want to go to law school. I got a bachelors in Criminology, and getting to law enforcement is not something I see for myself. Social work does not some appealing for me either. I haven't pursued anything great job-wise since I have had law school as my main focus. I am 23, and pictured myself being an attorney by age 28. If I wait for the next cycle and apply for Fall of 15, I feel I would waste another year..

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 pm

There's nothing at all wrong with waiting another year to enter law school. I can't remember the exact numbers but I believe something like 35-40% of 1Ls are 25+.

Why don't you try to get a job for the next year, gain some valuable work experience (law firms and other legal employers like their associates to have some WE), and take your time preparing for the February exam (or June if you're not ready by Feb). Considering that you majored in Crimonology, maybe a job with the Public Defender's or DA's office? Depending on where you live, they might have some "investigator" types of positions, where you help find the facts for the attorneys. I talked to an associate at a V10 firm who had a similar position, and he thought it helped him get his current job (plus, it was really rewarding). Or if you can't swing that, there are always administrative positions.

ojalili1990

Postby ojalili1990 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 pm

I forgot to mention that I did complete an investigative internship at a Public Defenders office. I was there for 10 months. I began during my last semester in school and finished a few months after. This was unpaid of course, but I will start searching for work in this field for the meantime. What is the general thought of enrolling in a paralegal program? I believe they are about 5k and 16 weeks for a certificate to become a paralegal.

I remember hearing advice for prospective students to take the LSAT during their senior year of college if possible, so that they would not have large gaps in between such as I did and will continue to have. I guess the only thing I'm nervous about is if I wait for the next cycle, life will throw more obstacles at me where I will be swayed away from law school.

All in all thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 pm

My understanding is that a lot of law firms hire paralegals without any sort of certificates, but I can't really advise you too well on this. Just hustle for a job! You can get one if you try hard enough. You may have to apply for a hundred before you get something, but if you network well enough and present yourself in the right manner, you'll be able to get something. Considering that you already did something in a Pub Defender's office, start there.

Regarding gaps, there's nothing wrong with a gap between UG and LS, as long as you fill it with something.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 am

Sit out a cycle, study, improve score, profit

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”