nowyouscantleave

Postby nowyouscantleave » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 pm

Last edited by nowyouscantleave on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

longlivetheking

Re: Improving a 165

Postby longlivetheking » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm

nowyouscantleave wrote:Hey everyone,

Just took the October test. Scored at the lower end of my PTs, pretty disappointed. Any advice to break into 170s by February? I'm in school full time/Work part time so practicing would be limited to weekends.
My break down was LR(-4) RC (-6) LG (-0) LR (-8).
I typically get around 3-4 misses in LR so that last section was pretty disappointing.

Previously I took a blueprint class, and used the Manhattan LG book and the PS LR Bible. Just ordered the LSAT Trainer upon seeing my score, hope that will help.
Would you recommend taking extra-long PTs to improve endurance? Any help with RC?

Thank you so much.

i went from a 165 to 172 and studied like crazy. for RC, do a few untimed ones, i recommend 46-50. see where you go wrong. go to the manhattan lsat forums and explain to yourself why each answer is correct and why each answer is wrong. visit spreeder.com to improve your reading speed. and start doing LOADS of timed RCs.

the improvement is definitely possible. you just have to work for it.

esther0123

Postby esther0123 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 pm

longlivetheking wrote:

Just took the October test. Scored at the lower end of my PTs, pretty disappointed. Any advice to break into 170s by February? I'm in school full time/Work part time so practicing would be limited to weekends.
I typically get around 3-4 misses in LR so that last section was pretty disappointing.

Previously I took a blueprint class, and used the Manhattan LG book and the PS LR Bible. Just ordered the LSAT Trainer upon seeing my score, hope that will help.
Would you recommend taking extra-long PTs to improve endurance? Any help with RC?

Thank you so much.

i went from a 165 to 172 and studied like crazy. for RC, do a few untimed ones, i recommend 46-50. see where you go wrong. go to the manhattan lsat forums and explain to yourself why each answer is correct and why each answer is wrong. visit spreeder.com to improve your reading speed. and start doing LOADS of timed RCs.

Hi there, sorry to hijack the thread. I am in a similar position as OP and I was wondering how long you studied for and if you had untouched material/were working at the same time. There is only one month left and I will be working at least PT... and it worries me that I can't make the same jump as you did. Your feedback will be much appreciated.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

esther0123 wrote:
longlivetheking wrote:

Thank you so much.

Hi there, sorry to hijack the thread. I am in a similar position as OP and I was wondering how long you studied for and if you had untouched material/were working at the same time. There is only one month left and I will be working at least PT... and it worries me that I can't make the same jump as you did. Your feedback will be much appreciated.

i did like 4 months of prep between 165 to 172. follow the below steps:

1. HI I'M VIOLATING COPYRIGHT try to do it in 4 days.
2. any logic games you aren't 'sure', reprint them and redo. go to youtube and look at 7sage videos and follow his step by step guides for questions/types you aren't sure
3. print out PT 50 to 70. this is for final PT runs
4. for LR, buy the cambridge book by types, preferably 21-40 PT, and start drilling each type.
5. after that, do 50 to 70 PTs. after each PT, find out where you went wrong and go to manhattan lsat forums and see WHY you went wrong. even for correct questions you want to make sure why each answer is right, why each answer is wrong.

HTH.

user has been banned for violating TLS's copyright policy

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Manhattan LR is fantastic. Work through the whole thing (don't skim) and drill using the Cambridge packets.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:12 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:Manhattan LR is fantastic. Work through the whole thing (don't skim) and drill using the Cambridge packets.

x2

Took me from -6/-8 overall on PTs to -1 overall on the real thing. Their section on assumption family questions can't be beat.

bobtheblob916

Postby bobtheblob916 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:23 am

Third'd on the Manhattan LR. It is immensely helpful for understanding LR on a deeper level. I plateaued before i went through that book.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 am

Also, did someone really just publicly recommend torrenting games...?

You better hope the bar examiners don't somehow discover your TLS profile.

Postby 05062014 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:Also, did someone really just publicly recommend torrenting games...?

you enjoy feasting on baby kittens?

mpc347

Postby mpc347 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:46 am

Is Manhattan recommended for RC as well?

And what about LSAT trainer in general?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:52 am

Just a reminder that TLS's copyright policy does not allow posting links (or advice) for finding torrents. Good luck with your studies, all.

jKerska

Postby jKerska » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 am

First off I think you should take a break for a couple weeks so you're not super stale by February.

Use The LSAT Trainer, follow the schedule on the website. I was in the same exact position as you back in June and was able to improve a lot in October.

nowyouscantleave

Postby nowyouscantleave » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for all your help guys

bobtheblob916

Postby bobtheblob916 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 am

Is Manhattan recommended for RC as well?

Manhattan RC is decent, but I wouldn't call it essential. It has a good basic approach, but it tells you to focus on dividing the argument in each passage into two sides. I've done nearly every RC section and I found that you can't always do that. Not to mention that this binary approach doesn't really help much with most questions, anyway.

I've heard great things about LSAT Trainer's RC, though I didn't have the chance to use it, myself. Definitely check out this Voyager's guide, too: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 pm

abdistotle wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Also, did someone really just publicly recommend torrenting games...?

you enjoy feasting on baby kittens?

Yeah, because the bar examiners are really going to care about an avatar depicting GWB feasting on a kitten :roll:.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”