Should i retake a 3rd time?

nppate5

Should i retake a 3rd time?

Postby nppate5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 pm

I took my first LSAT in June and got a 161, then i retook it in october but got a 158. I studied but wasnt feeling confident the second time. Should i retake a third time. My diagnostics were much higher throughout my practices and i was studying to improve. Im very conflicted. Im in my senior year and i was hoping to apply this cycle but taking it again may mean hurting my chances. Please help.

Jeffort

Re: Should i retake a 3rd time?

Postby Jeffort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:39 pm

If you need a higher score than 161 for your target schools, the answer is self evident. If you take it again and score higher it will help your admissions chances since schools generally just focus on your highest score.

The important issue to consider if you do re-take is how to prep again so that you actually do perform significantly higher than 161. You need to prepare differently than you did for October since whatever you did didn't turn out to increase your score. First thing is to figure out why you didn't achieve a score in your PT range on the October test so that you can make a better study plan for your final re-take.

Once you download and print out the test disclosure files you should review the questions you got wrong to figure out what happened.
Last edited by Jeffort on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:42 pm

the correct answer is: hell yeah

A higher school means A) better chances of getting into a school you're borderline at, B) the possibility of getting into schools you couldn't get into before, or C) more scholarship money at schools you can get into

Hell, there are very few schools worth attending (under limited circumstances) with the score you have now

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:43 pm

If you can do better, retake.

nppate5

Postby nppate5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Jeffort wrote:If you need a higher score than 161 for your target schools, the answer is self evident. If you take it again and score higher it will help your admissions chances since schools generally just focus on your highest score.

The important issue to consider if you do re-take is how to prep again so that you actually do perform significantly higher than 161. You need to prepare differently than you did for October since whatever you did didn't turn out to increase your score. First thing is to figure out why you didn't achieve a score in your PT range on the October test so that you can make a better study plan for your final re-take.

Once you download and print out the test disclosure files you should review the questions you got wrong to figure out what happened.

But will it hurt my applications by waiting till December or January to apply? Because i was originally planning on having my applications out by november 15th.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:46 pm

I would apply now and sit for Dec if I were you. Schools you wouldn't have gotten into with your numbers will likely hold off on making a decision till after your new score is out.

Whats your GPA?

Where are you applying?

nppate5

Postby nppate5 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Nova wrote:I would apply now and sit for Dec if I were you. Schools you wouldn't have gotten into with your numbers will likely hold off on making a decision till after your new score is out.

Whats your GPA?

Where are you applying?

My GPA is 1 3.67 and im looking to apply to Boston, Emory, and schools within that range. I wanted to try for something closer to T14 but im dont think i can any more.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:20 pm

nppate5 wrote:
Nova wrote:I would apply now and sit for Dec if I were you. Schools you wouldn't have gotten into with your numbers will likely hold off on making a decision till after your new score is out.

Whats your GPA?

Where are you applying?

My GPA is 1 3.67 and im looking to apply to Boston, Emory, and schools within that range. I wanted to try for something closer to T14 but im dont think i can any more.

Since you have target schools that are out of range based on your current LSAT scores, you clearly should re-take with the goal of achieving a score that will be in range. As for your question about applying late putting you at a disadvantage, analysis of that sort doesn't apply if you don't already have an LSAT score that is in range that gives you a decent shot of being accepted in the first place. An application having an admissions disadvantage because it is submitted and goes complete later assumes that it would have had a chance of being accepted in the first place all other things being equal.

In your situation you would not be disadvantaged by your application not being ready for review until later with a December score than applying earlier with your current scores since you are currently out of range for your target T14 schools. A later application with a higher score that is within schools range for possible acceptance always puts you at an advantage compared to applying earlier with lower scores below the schools probable range of admission. It's pretty simple, applying early doesn't give you any advantage when you don't already have numbers that are within range for possible acceptance at the particular school.

Applying later with a better LSAT score always puts you at an advantage over applying earlier with lower scores, simple as that. Contrary to urband legend among law school applicants, applying earlier in the cycle DOES NOT compensate for/offset low range/below range numbers. You cannot create an admissions advantage when no chance of acceptance based on your current numbers exists in the first place. Applying earlier in the cycle only gives an admissions advantage to marginal applicants that already have numbers decently within the schools range of accepted students to give it some sort of probability of acceptance in the first place.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”