pt 41, s 1 , question 8 - help please!

flash21

pt 41, s 1 , question 8 - help please!

Postby flash21 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:09 pm

"vervet monkeys"

I went with answer choice "(C)". I figured that, they make different warning calls for those animals that attack on land and in the air, so "C" would help to flesh this out a bit by stating that no animal can attack from land AND air, which I took to meant that as helping to explain the calls of the monkeys because the two calls can exclusively explain both types of threats (land or air).

I dont see how its "D", I looked up the expl. but I'm still lost.

Thank you in advance

Silvermanlsat

Re: pt 41, s 1 , question 8 - help please!

Postby Silvermanlsat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Some good distractors in this question, but the problem with C is that it does not directly address the question as to why the monkeys have a different call to warn of predators who attack from land vs predators who attack from air. We need to know of some difference between the two groups of predators that would cause the monkeys to vary their call.

D tells us that the monkeys avoid land-based predators in a different way than they avoid air-based predators. That is exactly the type of difference we are looking for. If their avoidance of land-based predators is different from their avoidance of air-based predators, they'd need to vary their call so that the other monkeys would know the appropriate avoidance mechanism. And because choice D explains precisely why there are different types of calls for different types of predators, it's the correct response.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:18 pm

thank you this makes sense

Silvermanlsat

Postby Silvermanlsat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Sure thing, glad it helped. :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”