Confession: I'm starting with a 150 cold diagnostic

modernista

Re: Confession: I'm starting with a 150 cold diagnostic

Postby modernista » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Appreciate it! I just cracked open the PS LG Bible. I just hope the momentum is sustainable.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:17 pm

For what it's worth I started with that diagnostic and well surpassed your goal, it just takes a ton of work, but it can be done

modernista

Postby modernista » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:58 pm

I thought it was implicit earlier that I meant how much time people needed to study efficiently and effectively but it wasn't. My bad. Any estimates out there? I was thinking that I'd structure my study tie like this:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

Then, review the next day. Do the rest of you do something like this?

Postby 10052014 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

modernista

Postby modernista » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:
modernista wrote:I thought it was implicit earlier that I meant how much time people needed to study efficiently and effectively but it wasn't. My bad. Any estimates out there? I was thinking that I'd structure my study tie like this:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

actually, I am doing each section at a time. 2.5 months on LG, 3 on LR, and 3 on PTs

You mean that you're reading the PS LG, MLSAT, or whatever for 2.5 months or do you drill in that time period as well?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:34 pm

modernista wrote:I thought it was implicit earlier that I meant how much time people needed to study efficiently and effectively but it wasn't. My bad. Any estimates out there? I was thinking that I'd structure my study tie like this:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

Just one hour at a time is not enough to make much progress for a particular section type. It would be more effective to use the entire three hours for one section type so you can study and review something about the section type thoroughly in detail. You cannot get into much depth of anything in just one hour since concepts and strategies build on each other and it's important to spend at least an hour or two working some questions that relate to a particular concept or strategy or whatever for at least an hour or two right after you study/review it, otherwise the hour spent learning/reviewing something can go to waste if you don't then spend some time trying to apply it to actual LSAT questions. One hour is not enough time to review a concept and then practice applying it to questions.

At this early stage in your prep process you should focus on one section type per study session to continue learning the foundational basics. Bouncing around in the section types over three hours doesn't allow you to focus on and get really into or learn that much about anything in particular.

There is no one size fits all study strategy that will guarantee any particular score or point improvement since people learn at different rates and have different strengths and weaknesses. Also, there is no X study hours ---> Y points score increase formula that you can use to decide how much time you personally need to devote to prep to achieve your goal, mileage varies per individual. The only real answer to the question "how much study time does one need to..." is as much as it takes until you reach your goal since different people learn at different rates than others.

I wish there was a better answer but the reality is, as much time as you possibly can put in, and them some more unless you have already reached your target range.

You should review practice questions during the same study session when you attempted them so that you remember your thought processes when making answer choice decisions. Waiting until the next day to review questions you attempted would be a mistake.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 pm

jaylawyer09 wrote:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

actually, I am doing each section at a time. 2.5 months on LG, 3 on LR, and 3 on PTs

This is a bad idea.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:29 am

Clearly wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

This is a bad idea.

I agree, for two reasons:

1. Poster is going to lose some of the progress he made on LG after having not done it for 3 months.

2. Poster is neglecting RC. Don't neglect RC!

A better strategy would be do devote entire days to one section, but never let a week go by without having spent time on each section.

modernista

Postby modernista » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:01 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Clearly wrote:
jaylawyer09 wrote:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

This is a bad idea.

I agree, for two reasons:

1. Poster is going to lose some of the progress he made on LG after having not done it for 3 months.

2. Poster is neglecting RC. Don't neglect RC!

A better strategy would be do devote entire days to one section, but never let a week go by without having spent time on each section.

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I started off slow to give myself time to ease into it. So, I read chapter 1 of the LG Bible last night. I will be reading chapter 2 and attempting the drills tonight. Does anyone have any other study tips? It seems like my default is to read/drill/study for an hour, take a fifteen minute break, continue, rinse, wash, repeat for three hours. If you have a better strategy, let me know.

modernista

Postby modernista » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Jeffort wrote:

LG (1 Hour)
LR (1 Hour)
RC (1 Hour)

Just one hour at a time is not enough to make much progress for a particular section type. It would be more effective to use the entire three hours for one section type so you can study and review something about the section type thoroughly in detail. You cannot get into much depth of anything in just one hour since concepts and strategies build on each other and it's important to spend at least an hour or two working some questions that relate to a particular concept or strategy or whatever for at least an hour or two right after you study/review it, otherwise the hour spent learning/reviewing something can go to waste if you don't then spend some time trying to apply it to actual LSAT questions. One hour is not enough time to review a concept and then practice applying it to questions.

At this early stage in your prep process you should focus on one section type per study session to continue learning the foundational basics. Bouncing around in the section types over three hours doesn't allow you to focus on and get really into or learn that much about anything in particular.

There is no one size fits all study strategy that will guarantee any particular score or point improvement since people learn at different rates and have different strengths and weaknesses. Also, there is no X study hours ---> Y points score increase formula that you can use to decide how much time you personally need to devote to prep to achieve your goal, mileage varies per individual. The only real answer to the question "how much study time does one need to..." is as much as it takes until you reach your goal since different people learn at different rates than others.

I wish there was a better answer but the reality is, as much time as you possibly can put in, and them some more unless you have already reached your target range.

You should review practice questions during the same study session when you attempted them so that you remember your thought processes when making answer choice decisions. Waiting until the next day to review questions you attempted would be a mistake.

I'm trying to do a manageable? two chapters a week of the Powerscore series and then move onto MLSAT and Cambridge drilling. Is three chapters of the Powerscore series in a week manageable?

modernista

Postby modernista » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:15 am

Thoughts? Anyone?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:49 am

modernista wrote:Thoughts? Anyone?

about your manageable question? Only you can figure that out by trying to fit in enough study time with whatever other responsibilities you have and see how much quality studying you can actually do to see how far that takes you in the books.

Everybody has different amounts of time available to put in each week and people read and learn at different rates. Just get going. Don't rush and sacrifice quality study just to finish chapters faster. The point is to learn and master the material, not to speed read through everything super fast without taking the time to practice with it as you learn.

firefoxm

Postby firefoxm » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Well I started exactly two weeks ago, and for the December test. I did, however, sign up with TM, and, 6/15 lessons in, I like their way of doing things. The main focus is on LR, and each lesson drills a specific LR type (I think most other prep books have similar ideas, dividing the LR questions into various types), along with either LG or RC. LG starts with your basic sequencing, and moves up to the harder grouping, then hybrids (I think LGB has something similar). IMHO (and keep in mind, I'm also a newbie at the LSAT prep), working every day on LR helps (also going back and redoing and understanding those I did wrong), while adding in either 5-10 LG games or 5-10 RC passages: it seems logical, since LR is half the test, while LG/RC are only 1 section each.

Also, Until halfway through my prep, I was told to focus on untimed drilling, making sure I understand the question types and the logical processes. I only did one PT as diagnostic, and until I'm halfway through, I won't touch another... But after the halfway point, PT, PT, PT, and drill, drill, drill (timed) :)

Hope this helps!

edit: as to the manageable aspect, I usually work through a fifth of my course every week (mostly due to necessity though).. I have not watched TV, read any books other than for my college courses, or gone out.. (I might eventually need to schedule a day off here and there, though, or so I've been told): Just remember that the LSAT is the most important test of your life, and you'll be fine, lol ;)

Postby 10052014 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:31 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:21 am

Ok, that's fine then. Seems reasonable enough.

NotHermione

Postby NotHermione » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Absolutely possible. Your diagnostic score means very little other than that you haven't studied yet.

A friend of mine took the LSAT cold (terrible decision on his part) & got a 151. He then spent 6 months studying, got a 172 and was given a hefty scholarship to Michigan. I also started at a 151 and am now ranging between 168 and 172. It is very, VERY possible if you're willing to work for it. (For the record, I started studying in June and did so while juggling a 50 hour per week job)

To me, LR is an easy section to learn; Just by drilling assumption and inference-type questions for a few weeks you will drastically increase your score (they make up the majority of the LR sections). Check out the 7sage video tutorials for LG if you struggle at all there - they helped me a ton.

modernista

Postby modernista » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:23 am

I've started studying and it's extremely laborious and a huge time suck. I'm reading the LG Bible, making notes in the margins, and marking it up but I find that itself takes up about three hours a night. I am learning but it's a very slow-going process. Does anyone have any tips to make it go faster? Am I going about it the wrong way?

Every_LSAT

Postby Every_LSAT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:11 pm

modernista wrote:Is getting a 168+ possible? LR: 16/25 & 12/25, LG: 14/23, and RC: 17/27. The LR is kicking my ass. If at all possible, I feel the RC section makes one feel like they need to learn how to read again.

Of course it is possible with enough dedication. Many students start off lower and end up with the goal you are seeking. Just remember to find some resources that work for you (e.g. books, prep courses, etc.), and then make sure to take enough practice tests to feel comfortable and to know where you are at come test day. I recommend at least 15 practice tests before the real thing, and the last five should be close to, if not higher, than your goal. If you don't reach your goal consistently, then take more. Also, take them under real conditions, and 5-section tests are best to build stamina. Hope this helps!

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Bruv. There are no shortcuts. It's going to take a lot of work. Why do you even want to go to law school if you're not ready to work your ass off? Law school is going to be a SHITLOAD of work.

And like I said in the other thread, if you don't like studying for the LSAT at least on some level, you're going to just love being an attorney...

modernista

Postby modernista » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:27 pm

I do like learning. So, by extension, I like studying for the LSAT because I'm learning new skills as I go but does it have to be such a time suck?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 pm

modernista wrote:I do like learning. So, by extension, I like studying for the LSAT because I'm learning new skills as I go but does it have to be such a time suck?

Yes it does. Everyone told you that is required in order to make the type of score improvement you are shooting for. Stop complaining about having to put in time and effort.

Please re-read this again and take it seriously this time, there is no way around it no matter how much you want there to be. Significantly improving your LSAT score requires an enormous dedication of time and effort over a long period of time.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=217650&p=7230568#p7230568

Asking the same question again and again because you don't like the answer you have gotten unanimously from everyone that has responded to your posts isn't going to change the truth of the matter. You asking the question now several times after you've gotten the same answer from everyone that has already given you the correct answer makes me question whether you are really as determined to achieve your target score range as you claim to be.

I'm not trying to mean, just being realistic. Think about it, you are only about two weeks into spending time seriously doing LSAT prep work and are already complaining about the roughly 20 hours you've put in so far being too much/more work than you want to put in. People might have sympathy for you once you've put in 100+ hours of work, have taken a few practice tests and are frustrated that you've only improved a few points, but don't expect sympathy from high scoring people when you are complaining right out of the gate about putting in a few 3 hour study sessions to just get started.

If you are going to ignore honest answers people give to your questions and just keep asking again and again hoping for a different answer because you don't like the answers you've already been given, don't expect anybody on the forum to keep taking the time to give you honest detailed answers to your questions. Either suck it up, dedicate yourself to a long term LSAT study plan and stop complaining about the workload or change your goals and settle for a crappy score.

There is no magical easy way to get a high LSAT score and get into a good law school that doesn't require a lot of hard work. If there was, everyone would be getting 165+ scores and going to highly ranked law schools. You really should take a hard look at the reality of what going to law school really entails. It requires a study schedule much more rigorous than what you are currently doing for the LSAT, and you have to keep up that pace for three years to graduate. Then you have to keep working hard to the tune of 50-70+ hours a week with a bigger workload to work as a lawyer if you do manage to get a lawyer job after you graduate.

If the LSAT workload you've taken on so far is too much for you to sustain for even two months, you for sure should not go to law school because you will hate it and be miserable. LSAT prep work is a walk in the park compared to the law school workload to even have a chance at getting decent grades. I suspect you may have a very unrealistic idea of what law school and being a lawyer is actually like in the real world as opposed to what you might think or want it to be like based on what you've seen in some TV shows and movies.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”