I did awfully on LG when I knew I was being timed...

crazyvix

I did awfully on LG when I knew I was being timed...

Postby crazyvix » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

Well, here's the thing. Every time when I tried to time myself on LG, I would panic even if I knew this was not the real test, and made stupid mistakes within 35 mins. But when I started to untime myself, I spent about 30 minutes on LG section, using LGB techniques instead of trying different answer choices every time(bang, that's what I did when I timed myself :shock: ) and I scored -0 for 3 consecutive PTs.. Any suggestions on this crazy thing? Is it because the pressure stuff or it's simply because I have not really mastered it?

Straw_Mandible

Re: I did awfully on LG when I knew I was being timed...

Postby Straw_Mandible » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 am

I have the same concern! If anyone has some general advice for overcoming time-pressure anxiety, I think that would be very helpful for us.

OP: How do you know that you're finishing around 30 minutes when you weren't timing yourself?
Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm moving quickly when the clock is off, but it's next to impossible to quantify.

dosto

Postby dosto » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 am

Last edited by dosto on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

It's because you really haven't mastered it. I focused solely on LG for two months. One month of that was doing different kinds of games untimed, and one month doing sections timed. If there's a game you can't do timed, study it and other similar games untimed. Doing sections timed feels horrible, but repeated efforts will sharpen you over time. The key is continuing despite the frustration.

Postby 10052014 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Last edited by 10052014 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jitsubruin

Postby jitsubruin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:25 pm

When you time it, is the timer or watch in a place you can always look at? I found I got horrible nerves when taking timed tests because I would be constantly looking at my watch. Put a timer on and put it somewhere you can't see. Eventually you wont even need a timer and will instinctively know how much time you have left. Both times I took the test, I didn't even bring my watch and finished all the sections in time.

Just know that I went through the same stage of freaking out and losing focus due to nerves during timed tests (it was really frustrating). You will learn to control it eventually.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:54 am

crazyvix wrote:Well, here's the thing. Every time when I tried to time myself on LG, I would panic even if I knew this was not the real test, and made stupid mistakes within 35 mins. But when I started to untime myself, I spent about 30 minutes on LG section, using LGB techniques instead of trying different answer choices every time(bang, that's what I did when I timed myself :shock: ) and I scored -0 for 3 consecutive PTs.. Any suggestions on this crazy thing? Is it because the pressure stuff or it's simply because I have not really mastered it?

You are letting yourself get preoccupied with time and pacing while working the section instead of just focusing on doing the work. It's a common problem once you start doing timed sections. Conditioning is the key as well as paying attention to your thoughts while you work and consciously trying not to keep checking the time.

This type of trouble right when starting timing is mainly due to you constantly double checking how much time has passed/how much is left and doing little mental calculations all along the way to measure your pace obsessively all the way through the section. Doing that is very bad because your attention is constantly distracted from the game at hand and you're constantly judging your own performance according to how fast/slow you are going. It is a great way to put extra pressure on yourself, get you more stressed out whenever you think you are going too slow, then make you try to speed up and then make dumb mistakes due to that, your confidence goes down if you think you are choking cuz of running slow, etc. etc. with negative thoughts it generates. Obsessing about time remaining throughout the section is a counterproductive attempt at misguided multitasking.

Just focus on doing the questions as fast as you effectively can and try not to think about time except towards the end. At first you'll have to force yourself to not keep checking/monitoring the time while working the section to get it down to only maybe spot checking it at most 3-4 times through the entire section if even that much.

Mostly ignoring how much time is remaining is the main key to not letting the time pressure screw you up since putting extra mental pressure in your thoughts only stresses you out more and leads to mistakes. When your brain is thinking "must hurry, time running out!", it also tends to want to skip steps of analysis to speed things up and get through the questions faster, which leads to mistakes/selecting wrong answers due to half-arsed analysis.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”